What's new

Steep Angle Shaving Works With The FaTip Too - Shocking Breakthrough!!!!

Wow! After discussing how R41 geometry makes steep angle shaving possible, it was suggested that it might work with the FaTip too.
Well, it does!!!!

Shave with the FaTip holding the handle almost parallel to the face and experience fast, irritation free BBS.
Try it...

Yeah, you say that now Mr Clark, however later when your asleep the FAtip will alter its balde exposure and tomorrow you'll rip your face apart....dont say I dint warn you , the FATIP is a beast that lulls folk into a false sence of sercurity:a51:

Only joking by the way. I found that a kinda inbetween angle suits my old farts face.

Don't worry Stu, I have nothing but respect for the mighty FaTip. Truly it wears the crown of DE :)
But this has made me wonder how many other razors steep angle shaving will also work for...

I tried this today with my Fatip Grande. I don't know if I got lucky but was extremely impressed with the results! I had a great 2 pass+ touch up shave. The surprising factor for me was how well it worked on my neck(which has always been a problem area for me). Maintaining the steep angle around the chin and jaw line was a little tricky, but should improve with practice.

Need to do this a few more times to make sure it wasn't a one off experience, but very satisfied with today's shave!:thumbup1:

Try it. Shimmed or not, as you wish. IMO, shimmed works better, because it increases the blade gap, allowing a wider effective shaving angle range.
Much like the R41, Old Type steep angle shaves are much easier and comfortable.

I'm going to give this a try before long.

For those who have shaved steep angle with both an R41(either model) and a Fatip:

Do you prefer one over the other?
During the shave does one tug on the whiskers more than the other?
Does one cause more irritation post shave vs the other?

Thanks

For those who have shaved steep angle with both an R41(either model) and a Fatip:

Do you prefer one over the other?

Both razors shave better steep angled, but I prefer the R41.

During the shave does one tug on the whiskers more than the other?

Tune your angle and up your prep if there is tugging with either razor. Excessive tugging on a Fatip greatly increases likelihood of weepers, much more so than with an R41.

Does one cause more irritation post shave vs the other?

The Fatip is a bit of mystery. It performs great and then inflicts a weeper seemingly out of the blue. The R41 is solid, predictable, and very safe steep angled. The calm skin I get out of a Fatip does not match the extremely calm skin I get from an R41.

I will be revisiting the Fatip making sure blade alignment wasn't part of my earlier experiences and findings.

Thanks aimsport, that's what I wanted to know.

I'll work with adjusting my angle as I get tugging with my 13' R41 in a few places.

I feel like my prep is good with shower, Noxzema, lather and leave on for about 5 mins then touch up later and go to town. My other razors shaving shallow angle glide like butter.

I might give it a go with the Fatip. Unlike others I find the Fatip much, much easier to use than the R41.

After having one of my finest shaves on 30/5/2014 I wanted to see if it was a fluke or not. I've now completed 8 shaves with my Fatip Grande using the 'steep angle approach' and I feel that perhaps this was how this razor was intended to be used. I got great shaves with a shallow angle too, but somehow this felt more efficient.

Positives-
1.My face stays stubble free for longer.
2. Previous problem areas(chin, Adam's apple, angle of jaw) are much easier to shave.

Negatives-
Positive 1 could be viewed as a negative, as I love shaving but now have progressively less stubble to mow down every morning!:blush:

Some very helpful information and discussion's going on in Codfish's thread-
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...1-2011-steep-angle-approach-Any-helpful-hints

Many thanks to nuclearblast and aimsport for their advice. (I now understand the importance of 'slight' pressure and 'moderate' speed.):thumbup:

Top Bottom