What's new

DIY Acrylic Shave Stand

The title sums it up. Here is my DIY Acrylic Shave Stand. I looked online for a proper shave stand, but found mostly stands that would hold brushes, or stands that would hold razors. I rarely saw anything that was designed to do both and then when I did... They were normally made from wood. Don't get me wrong. I have seen some mighty fine shave stands, but nothing that quite fit the bill when it came to the available storage space and looks that I was in need of. So to the drawing board I went and came up with a great design. I made my first acrylic shave stand and it was glorious! A great big glorious failure. So I redesigned another shave stand to utilize the scrap acrylic that I had leftover and lo and behold I shattered the top whilst drilling the last hole for the razors. Not to be outdone I grabbed the original failure, sliced it up, did some quick drilling and tah-dah... A crude ugly shave stand was born. Thus it sat in my bathroom for the past couple of weeks glaring at me each time I went to shave. Well finally I put what little bit I had learned to good use today and did a proper shave stand in acrylic that I felt was worthy to be shared. So without further to do... My DIY Acrylic Shave Stand.

Attachments

• $Layout.jpg
    $Layout.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 490
  • $Stand-B&W_Iso.jpg
    $Stand-B&W_Iso.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 477
  • $Stand-B&W_End.jpg
    $Stand-B&W_End.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 482
  • $LongView-Full.jpg
    $LongView-Full.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 476
  • $Front-Full-Iso.jpg
    $Front-Full-Iso.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 476
I do have a dimension pdf file, but it is 35mb, so I could email or make available somehow?? I wasn't sure about posting a file that big.
Here is a list of the tools that I used:
Drill with paddle bits
Irwin quick grip clamps
acrylic scoring tool
hacksaw
drywall t-square (48X24) for edge bracing (bending & scoring)
propane torch
scrap wood for bracing.

There are a few scratches from using the side of the scoring tool to scrape my hacksaw cuts and the edges of the bends did bubble a bit from over-heating, but I am well pleased with the results!

That looks seriously cool. A good way to show case your collection. Mind showing us the failure stand? Just to compare.

:thumbup::drool::001_tt1::tongue_sm:a50::a5::a47::a25::a14::applause::adoration::yikes::badger::yesnod:

The title sums it up. Here is my DIY Acrylic Shave Stand. I looked online for a proper shave stand, but found mostly stands that would hold brushes, or stands that would hold razors. I rarely saw anything that was designed to do both and then when I did... They were normally made from wood. Don't get me wrong. I have seen some mighty fine shave stands, but nothing that quite fit the bill when it came to the available storage space and looks that I was in need of. So to the drawing board I went and came up with a great design. I made my first acrylic shave stand and it was glorious! A great big glorious failure. So I redesigned another shave stand to utilize the scrap acrylic that I had leftover and lo and behold I shattered the top whilst drilling the last hole for the razors. Not to be outdone I grabbed the original failure, sliced it up, did some quick drilling and tah-dah... A crude ugly shave stand was born. Thus it sat in my bathroom for the past couple of weeks glaring at me each time I went to shave. Well finally I put what little bit I had learned to good use today and did a proper shave stand in acrylic that I felt was worthy to be shared. So without further to do... My DIY Acrylic Shave Stand.

Looks awesome!

I think when it comes to stands that hold razors and brushes, making them yourself is the way to go.

That looks seriously cool. A good way to show case your collection. Mind showing us the failure stand? Just to compare.
Here is some quick pics of the one that was "utilitarian" that I just took down. The original failure was this same design except I had double razor holes and the failure part was that I angled the slots so that the slots were triangular in shape. The brushes just fell right out. That one also had a lot more bubbling that I did intentionally to try and make it a pattern to cover the unintentional bubbling. It just looked dirty. I tried to flip it over and use the base of the original to create one similar to what I have now, but that didn't turn out. The second version was similar to the utilitarian one, but it shattered when trying to drill the last razor hole. The one shown here was the back (vertical piece) of the original failure. I just did it quick and dirty to see if it was a functional design. The legs were attached with acrylic epoxy that did not take, so I had it propped up with a run of the mill stainless single brush/razor stand and an acrylic leg on the other end that you see in the photo. The close up shows the crude workmanship.
$Overall.jpg$Close.jpg

I did a quick screenshot of the dimension pdf. Here is half of the dimensions for the cut-out portions. So basically the 1-1/4"diameter hole is the middle slot that the M&F brush is sitting in in the photos. The "other" side is the mirror of the first half. The 3-7/8" is to the point that I secured for the top bend, so the actual dimension of the front is closer to 4-3/8" if I had to guess. The overall height is ~6". I could go and measure for accuracy, but am too lazy right now.
$Dimensions.jpg

That looks really nice....good design :thumbup1:

I have something in mind like it, but not quite the same.... beginning to have too many brushes to fit in the cabinet.... razors slowly getting out of hand too.....somethings got to be done :batman:

Very nice, not every one can say the designed and built themselves a custom shave stand. You should be very proud of your efforts. Enjoy your work.

Top Bottom