What's new

How do you feel about rolled sleeves on dress shirts?

When I see rolled sleeves in a business casual setting, I feel...

• approval - this man is getting down to business!

• indifference - it's fine / has no particular meaning

• disapproval - too casual for business casual

• seething rage - just wear a polo, you dolt!

• something else - please explain in the comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't mind so much. One look that really kills me is frequently sported buy a guy at a club I belong too. He wears short sleeve dress/sport shirts and still puts one roll in the sleeve. Seriously? What's the point in that? Same guy frequently combines it with a popped collar. Makes me want to donkey punch him for being such a tool. Granted I'm not your typical club type so it grates on me more than others probably. I think I hold the distinction of being the most heavily tattooed guy at the club. Ha!

Last edited:
I prefer rolling to wearing short sleeves, even though the cuffs tend to get tight on my arms. I think rolling looks a little more formal than short sleeves; a balance of serious business and devil-may-care. Then again, I like pushing the limits of what's acceptable. I've never had anyone say anything, or have the nerve to say anything. Most of the time I do a three-fold roll, but I'll do more, if the cuffs can make it over my elbows without ripping.

I prefer rolling to wearing short sleeves, even though the cuffs tend to get tight on my arms. I think rolling looks a little more formal than short sleeves; a balance of serious business and devil-may-care. Then again, I like pushing the limits of what's acceptable. I've never had anyone say anything, or have the nerve to say anything. Most of the time I do a three-fold roll, but I'll do more, if the cuffs can make it over my elbows without ripping.

+1

Right after college I worked in the men's clothing dept of a large dept store in a small town in southern Virginia. I had my sleeves rolled up above my elbows and the senior lady salesperson came up to me and said: "Don't ever roll your sleeves up above your elbows. It makes you look like a journalist. "

One got the sense from her tone of voice that she used "journalist" as a stand in for something truly repugnant.

one to two folds is preferable. if i find myself embroiled in an old-tyme bare-knuckled street fight, i might roll above the elbow.
Fisticuffs!

I roll mine with two folds, else I end up trashing the shirt at work.

Right after college I worked in the men's clothing dept of a large dept store in a small town in southern Virginia. I had my sleeves rolled up above my elbows and the senior lady salesperson came up to me and said: "Don't ever roll your sleeves up above your elbows. It makes you look like a journalist. "
One got the sense from her tone of voice that she used "journalist" as a stand in for something truly repugnant.
At least she didn't imply that it made you look like a concrete salesman.

Last edited:
I never roll above the elbow. 2-3 folds, or the method I picked up on Dappered a while ago, which I will attempt to describe:
Fold the cuffs over once, then pull them up the forearm so the trailing sleeve fabric turns inside out. Then fold said fabric back over the cuff. This has two advantages: the sleeve stays put at the desired length, and any pattern on the cuff interior is partly exposed, if that's your thing.
Hope that makes sense.

I never roll above the elbow. 2-3 folds, or the method I picked up on Dappered a while ago, which I will attempt to describe:
Fold the cuffs over once, then pull them up the forearm so the trailing sleeve fabric turns inside out. Then fold said fabric back over the cuff. This has two advantages: the sleeve stays put at the desired length, and any pattern on the cuff interior is partly exposed, if that's your thing.
Hope that makes sense.

Sounds Interesting. Will have to try that.

I just don't like the look. If I roll my sleeves, I only do so 1-2 times but almost never do. Why have long sleeves if you're just going to make them shorter?

I have rolled my sleeves since I was a teenager. It was mostly due to the fact that my arms are quite long and an off the rack shirt usually is about 2 inches too short in the sleeve. It has become a habit now and even though I buy shirts with sleeves long enough, I still roll my sleeves. I usually do not do the master roll like your illustration, but will just turn the cuffs up 2 turns.

infinitely better than short sleeved shirts, I refuse to buy SS dress shirts but living in TX it gets hot so I'll roll up my sleeves in the summer occasionally.

+1

My only SS button-down shirts are my print "camp" shirts.
Plain or pinstripe, long sleeves only.

I roll mine up. That's the only way I can wear them. Hate to have anything on my wrists.

QUIT STEALING MY LOOK!

:lol:

I nearly always roll my sleeves. I have 36" sleeve length and that's fairly hard to come by, so it's usually necessary. Also, I'm rarely in a business type setting.

I prefer two folds to the roll, but I do not resort to violence if I see the sleeve rolled above the elbow.

I do not like short sleeves with a jacket, it looks like half an effort to me.

Two flips on the sleeve; perfect and a timeless, classic "Edward R. Murrow" look.

Short sleeves with a tie; a sad, insipid, and somewhat geeky look (my most humble opinion anyway..)

I find it interesting hearing that so many people don't mind rolling, but prefer it to stay below the elbow. I'm quite the opposite.

I don't mind so much. One look that really kills me is frequently sported buy a guy at a club I belong too. He wears short sleeve dress/sport shirts and still puts one roll in the sleeve. Seriously? What's the point in that? Same guy frequently combines it with a popped collar. Makes me want to donkey punch him for being such a tool. Granted I'm not your typical club type so it grates on me more than others probably. I think I hold the distinction of being the most heavily tattooed guy at the club. Ha!

That's a bit extreme, isn't it? :laugh:

Top Bottom