What's new

March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
So here's a tip. If you do the Hemoccult screening thing, and, like me, you don't read the instructions carefully before you start the process of collecting samples, and so you eat red meat (e.g., Pepperoni and roast beef) during the three-day collection period, there appears to be a fair chance you'll end up with results that are suggestive of blood in one of more of your samples.

If you end up with results that are suggestive of blood in one or more of your samples, I suspect your Dr. may have latitude to order colonoscopy screening even if you're not due per the recommended schedule accepted by your health insurance coverage.

Point is, if you feel like you might ought to undergo colonoscopy screening before however many years you're supposed to wait for the next one in order to have it be covered as a health maintenance-related screening procedure (typically subject to more generous deductible and/or co-pay provisions), there might be a strategy here.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Made an appointment with my gastroenterologist for April Fool's day, it's been 10 years since I had the full Monty, upper and lower GI. My how time flies when you're not being scoped!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Made an appointment with my gastroenterologist for April Fool's day, it's been 10 years since I had the full Monty, upper and lower GI. My how time flies when you're not being scoped!

That's the way to go. Just make sure they do the upper before the lower.

K

Just had my check up on Monday. All clear with the finger and don't need my next colonoscopy until 2021.

Rob W

Not gonna divulge my age but had my most recent colonoscopy & check (and not my first BTW) December 16, 2013. Some polyps, benign, but Doc says come back in 3 years ... which I absolutely will be doing!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good to see all you guys stepping up. I wussed out for far too long for something that went so smoothly.

Do you need to pm someone to get your badge? I posted I had my checkup on Monday and still no badge.

Thanks

Rob W

Do you need to pm someone to get your badge? I posted I had my checkup on Monday and still no badge.

The checkup has to be performed by a certified B&B mod, so you may have to book another appointment :lol:

They issue the tags once a week or so. Give it a few days, it'll show up, no second check needed :001_cool:

The checkup has to be performed by a certified B&B mod, so you may have to book another appointment :lol:

They issue the tags once a week or so. Give it a few days, it'll show up, no second check needed :001_cool:

Thanks, was not sure how that worked. Bending over once a year or so is enough for me. Not sure the badge would have been worth another poke. :blush:

I've said this before: I had an aunt who died of colon cancer and YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO THAT WAY!!

That finger up your butt is less uncomfortable than a stubbed toe, and the colonoscopy is a bother, but not more than that.

Do it

I just thought I should mention that the digital exam (finger up the butt) is a routine check for Prostate problems. If the Doc felt a lump or swollen prostate he would recomend a PSA blood test. An elivated PSA reading doesn't necessarily mean you have prostate cancer. It could be elevated from an infection, sexual activity, or enlarged prostate. It might indicate you need further testing, like another PSA in a few months or a biopsy.

The only sure way to check the old behind for polyps is the colonoscopy. Just thought I should throw that out there. Hope this helps.

So here's a tip. If you do the Hemoccult screening thing, and, like me, you don't read the instructions carefully before you start the process of collecting samples, and so you eat red meat (e.g., Pepperoni and roast beef) during the three-day collection period, there appears to be a fair chance you'll end up with results that are suggestive of blood in one of more of your samples.

If you end up with results that are suggestive of blood in one or more of your samples, I suspect your Dr. may have latitude to order colonoscopy screening even if you're not due per the recommended schedule accepted by your health insurance coverage.

Point is, if you feel like you might ought to undergo colonoscopy screening before however many years you're supposed to wait for the next one in order to have it be covered as a health maintenance-related screening procedure (typically subject to more generous deductible and/or co-pay provisions), there might be a strategy here.

Good point! With the new trend to move testing later and later in life, this might not be a bad idea. Waiting until I was 50 could have possibly ended very badly for me and it didn't help the poor fellow who was diagnosed at 32.

I may test that out. I'm only 36, but my grandmother was diagnosed with colon cancer at 52 and she was gone at 54. I'm not easily scared, but this is one thing that scares the crap out of me. My doctor's don't seem concerned, but that isn't much comfort to me. I stand to lose a lot more in this deal than they do.

I will be 63 in April and have never had a colonoscopy. A doctor I used to have did a FOB following a DRE when I was about 45. That is the only time that has been performed. I am out of work and without insurance and I don't know if the ACA pays for preventative screenings. We have a family history of cancer; esophageal and gastric. My younger sister had non-cancerous polyps removed and claims that is a family history but I'm not convinced of that. Enough said, I know I need a colonoscopy!

I am 31 and will talk to my Doc once I get to shore duty. My dad had some diverticuli in his 40s and actually had a colon rupture at that time too. Required some time on a colostomy. I need to make sure everything is good to go, a little discomfort for a day is worth a lifetime of not dealing with cancer!

I am a medical supplies and equipment salesman. We used to sell a product called ColoCare. They are paper sheets that you float in the commode after taking a crap. You have an eyedropper with reagent that you drip onto the sheet. There is a test area and a diagnostic area that turn colors if there is blood present.

The slide method is called a guaiac slide. If your doctor performs a digital rectal exam to check for prostate enlargement he already has stool on his finger so it's easy to rub that on a slide and apply the reagent. Some doctors will give you a pack of 3 slides and 3 popsicle sticks and an envelope so you can do this at home and get slides back to him for testing.

Bear in mind both of these methods are older technology and a colonoscopy is probably the best way to go.

Top Bottom