What's new

March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month

This is an absolutely wonderful thread. I am so blown away by the gentlemen here on the forum. Thank you for putting it together Mdevine.

Yes, men need to talk about this more than they do. So this is great. Had mine done ten years ago, at 40, because of family history. Polyps were found but, they were benign. Checked again at 45. No polyps but was diagnosed with prostate cancer the following month. I know thats a discussion for another month like, September. All is well with me now but, leads me back to urging all young men to get routinely tested. It's not that big a deal and it could save your life. If you do get bad news. Talk to people that have been through it. It helped me.

Spot on Joe !!! I belonged to CanSurmount and talked to many people with recent diagnosis. It helps to talk to someone who has walked a mile in your shoes.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Just had my first colonoscopy on Feb. 19th. 4 polyps removed. Doc said not to sweat the next 10 days waiting for pathology. Should have results Monday. When they wheeled me in the Doc had J. Geils Band "Full House Live" playing on his iPod. That made me feel better.
I'll be back in 3 years.

Nobody is better than me at putting things off. This is too easy and too important to put off. Just do it.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who have openly shared their stories.

As many have already said, ask your Dr. if you are at risk, book it and get your butt checked out.

Good on all of you getting checked and spreading the word. I'm just 36 so still have a ways to go before regular screening (no history in my family) but I will be getting screened when I hit 50.

Good on all of you getting checked and spreading the word. I'm just 36 so still have a ways to go before regular screening (no history in my family) but I will be getting screened when I hit 50.

Make sure to get the finger check when you are 40. That's a must and is not that bad.

The first time I ever met my Dr, he had to glove up, lube up and stick his finger up there. Now we're best buds.

Just got checked as part of my over-40. It's Army's way of saying "sorry about violating you all these years".

Last edited:
Colon cancer is in my family, and I'm quickly approaching the big 60...so routine checks are a part of life for me. It's definitely worth the screening when you think of the consequences. And don't make the mistake of thinking you're too young. See your GP and ask the questions. If they recommend a screening...do it!

going in for this in june. it will be time for my full scope. had the quick test done but because of my melanoma (i know different type and currently stable and has been for about 2.5 years now) they want to check all common forms for me. thankfully we already discussed being put under and while under they will be removing a varicocele in a microsurgery operation. my urologist already agreed to set it up for the same time since they know each other. of course after my first diagnosis i do worry they will find something else which i really dont want so its taking a lot for me to go in mentally. i just really dont want to find any other types after going through what i did already with radiation and everything. def going in just a lot to process after everything that has happened already.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread. My dad who is 57 currently has and is receiving treatment for colon cancer. He also has liver cancer which I believe is a fairly common place for the cancer to spread when it is not detected early.

While the screening seems to scare people off it is not bad at all. I am only 26 but I have had a colonoscopy already for symptoms I had when younger. If anyone has questions on colonoscopies I would be glad to answer since it may seem intimidating.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Not sure if it counts, but I'm turning in Hemoccult samples today. Got scoped a couple years ago, and although I had a grandfather die relatively young of colon cancer, I'm not due for another colonscopy yet.

I didn't know about the Hemoccult screening option until I went in recently for an annual physical that I'd put off for over a year. It's a good thing to have done annually between colonoscopies. Be sure you read the instructions if/when you do it. No red meat for seven days prior to and during sample collection.

Last edited:
When I turned 45 a friend of mine had passed from Colon Cancer at the age of 32. I got checked and they found two benign polyps. So now I am adamant about getting checked. If caught early, Colon cancer is the most survivable cancer. IF you get CHECKED EARLY! Get checked, gentlemen. It could save your life!

I've said this before: I had an aunt who died of colon cancer and YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO THAT WAY!!

That finger up your butt is less uncomfortable than a stubbed toe, and the colonoscopy is a bother, but not more than that.

Do it

looks like i may be able to get in even sooner. there may be a appt for both things on april 20th. im waiting for both docs to confirm with me. i actually wish it was sooner the varicocele is killing me. many dont have pain from them at all but some do and i can attest when they get bad they are VERY painful. i may also have a pet scan coming up which will also show them if anything is suspicious even before the scope gets done. hopefully the insurance will step up and allow it this time its been 2 years and my oncologist says its time again. love the new badge!!

Last edited:
I've got my name in...problem is me being in town. Come Thursday, I'm in town two days until April. And both of those are Sunday. April's almost as bad, and don't even talk to me about May. That said, waiting for a call back, I think they can work me in.

Top Bottom