What's new

Looking for advice on shaving with Old Types

I could use a bit of advice on shaving with the Gillette Old Types...

For yesterday's shave I used my Single Ring. Today I used my Double Ring. For both shaves I used exactly the same cream and finished off with my normal Alum block and AS. Yesterday, I used a new Israeli Personna and today a new Astra SP. For both shaves it was short-stroke, 2-pass WTG/XTG. Yesterday's shave (IP) left me with a "tingle" on the cheeks and today's shave (Astra) produced considerable razor burn on my cheeks and lower neck. This isn't the first time this has happened when shaving with an Old Type (I have two others). In the past, Personna Blues and Lord Platinums have given me somewhat similar results.

Here's what confuses me: With any NEW or TTO, the IP and Astra produce terrific, zero-irritation shaves. And putting a IP in a Merkur Futur is, for me, the closest thing to a perfect shave that I've ever experienced. But both in an Old Type are uncomfortable and today it's come close to painful.

As I learned DE shaving with a '54 Super Speed is there something I should do differently when using an Old Type? Woodfluter's terrific post shows Old Types having a cutting angle of 15dgs and the NEWS 24dgs. Not sure of the TTO cutting angle (but assume it's not less that 24). Is my Super Speed "muscle memory" wrong for an Old Type?

I don't want to put these razors on the shelf for display only. That's not why I collect. I'd like to get proficient and comfortable shaving with them and enjoy their particular qualities. If you have some advice, I'm all ears.

Many Thanks!

Rick

My old types are my favorite razors. I also have a NEW and the New and Old Type are very different razors.

I find that the old type needs a very shallow angle (Handle further from the face) then does the new. Also a light touch is needed. If you feel the blade your angle is too steep.

Practice with the old type to get the feel for them. They really deliver a great shave.

I know you said that you used short strokes but the old type likes really short strokes. It is picky about the angle as well. All that will come from more practice.

My old types are my favorite razors. I also have a NEW and the New and Old Type are very different razors.

I find that the old type needs a very shallow angle (Handle further from the face) then does the new. Also a light touch is needed. If you feel the blade your angle is too steep.

Practice with the old type to get the feel for them. They really deliver a great shave.

I know you said that you used short strokes but the old type likes really short strokes. It is picky about the angle as well. All that will come from more practice.

This is exactly my experience.

Very shallow angle, short strokes.

Your reply (and dymaxoin's, too) really got me thinking about my shaves with the Old Type. I think you're right; my strokes, especially down toward the base of my neck, just aren't short enough. I'm going to give it a couple days and then go back at it.

MANY thanks for the replies, Gentlemen.

Yep, shallow angle is the key with razors like the Old Type that have relatively high blade exposure. You should always use short strokes with any razor. This help minimize the effect of the curves on on your face, keeping the angle more consistent.

Top Bottom