What's new

Dove Men+Care Expert Shave Line

So I just used the brush by dipping my brush into the container. It applied ok from there but did dry out after awhile. Starting to feel less impressed the more I use it.

I went to Target today and saw that they had the entire line-up (each one was $19.99). I took a picture of the ingredients of the shaving cream tub:

$WP_20140309_11_38_10_Pro.jpg

An interesting set of ingredients...what is most interesting is that this cream contains tallow (albeit in the middle of the list so most likely not very much). QCS creams are the only other one(s) that I know to contain tallow.

Thanks for the ingredients. I see SLES, which suggests that it would not lather without that additive.

Odd to see a new product with parabens too: is the scare over?

Thanks from here for the ingredients too. I didn't know Sodium Tallonate (am I seeing that right?) is the chemical form for that.

The girlfriend and I saw this at one of her Louisville Targets around Valentine's Day. I was short on money and she offered to buy me some of it. I thought about it but declined because I already have so much stuff, most of which I haven't even opened.

But to Dove in general, I like to use the bar soap for showers and face in the winter because it hydrates my skin pretty well. And for me, the "Plain Jane" white original soap works better that the unscented variety or the one they make for men.

Thanks for the ingredients. I see SLES, which suggests that it would not lather without that additive.

Odd to see a new product with parabens too: is the scare over?

Sorry but which ingredient is abbreviated SLES? Also, what was the paraben scare all about, I have forgotten?

Thanks for the review. I can't believe that Dove's own website has no mention of these products, and for now, the only place I can find them is Target...

The only thing I can think of that might explain this is that it is a Target exclusive. FWIW and if I'm not mistaken, Dove is a P&G/Gillette product and this is no more than another attempt by "Big Brother" to increase their (already overwhelming) market share.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia :

Sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) / sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES) :
Aanionic detergent and surfactant found in many personal care products (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste etc.). SLES is an inexpensive and very effective foaming agent. SLES, SLS, ALS and sodium pareth sulfate are surfactants that are used in many cosmetic products for their cleansing and emulsifying properties. They behave similarly to soap. [...] SLES is an irritant like many other detergents, with the irritation increasing with concentration. [...] SLS is [also] a known irritant, and research suggests that SLES can also cause irritation after extended exposure in some people. Toxicology research by the U.S. OSHA and IARC supports the conclusions of the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association (CTFA) and the American Cancer Society that SLES is not a carcinogen.
Parabens :

Parabens are widely used as preservatives by cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries. Parabens are effective preservatives in many types of formulas. These compounds, and their salts, are used primarily for their bactericidal and fungicidal properties. They can be found in shampoos, commercial moisturizers, shaving gels, personal lubricants, topical/parenteral pharmaceuticals, spray tanning solution, makeup,[1] and toothpaste. They are also used as food additives.

They are becoming increasingly controversial, however, because they have been found in breast cancer tumors (an average of 20 nanograms/g of tissue). Parabens have also displayed the ability to slightly mimic estrogen (a hormone known to play a role in the development of breast cancer). No effective direct links between parabens and cancer have been established, however. Another concern is that the estrogen-mimicking aspect of parabens may be a factor in the increasing prevalence of early puberty in girls.
[...]
Average levels of 20 nanograms/gram of parabens have been detected in a small sample of 20 breast tumors. The lead researcher of the UK study reported that the ester-bearing form of the parabens found in the tumors indicate that they came from something applied to the skin, such as an underarm deodorant, cream or body spray, and stated that the results helped to explain why up to 60% of all breast tumors are found in just one-fifth of the breast - the upper-outer quadrant, nearest the underarm (though this is controversial).

It is a big controversy as to whether these ingredients are toxic / cause cancer. Some people don't care and use them (they are found in quite small concentrations in common hygiene products), and other people systematically stray away from them.

Depends on your views regarding these ingredients.

In my opinion, air pollution is more damaging to humans than SLS or parabens!

Personally I am not at all worried about SLES or parabens as potential toxins or carcinogens. I like to see parabens in a cream, because it should last longer and I am very slow about using creams up. But I prefer not to see SLES, because I enjoy a soap or and cream more if it lathers on its own. Of course these are matters of taste and judgement: YMMV.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I smoke cigarettes and drink liquor and I suspect those self destructive habits are worse than anything added to shave creams, shampoos, or deodorants. :w00t:

I've got enough software right now, but curious to see more feedback. $20 for 200g of cream is a pretty decent deal.

I also generally liked the Dove Men+Care bar soap. I felt like it was more moisturizing than the Irish Spring I'm using now, especially for Minnesota winters. Haven't tried anything else in the line though.

Has anybody else given this cream a shot?
I bought a jar the other day and have used it for 5 or 6 shaves. I really enjoy the scent and the way that it lathers! I was able to get a very good shave with this cream. This is my first use of a shave cream. I have used Ogallala Bay Rum Shave Soap up to this point (about 1 yr of wet shaving).

I just saw this stuff online, I never even knew it exsisted! I will only ever use Dove soap because of how nice it makes my skin feel! So I nearly jumped and bought this stuff, before realising it could all just be hype and I'd be a lot better off continuing to use GFT and TOBS creams, so.. Has anyone ever tried it?

I just saw this stuff online, I never even knew it exsisted! I will only ever use Dove soap because of how nice it makes my skin feel! So I nearly jumped and bought this stuff, before realising it could all just be hype and I'd be a lot better off continuing to use GFT and TOBS creams, so.. Has anyone ever tried it?

I too just discovered Dove's shaving cream, stumbled upon a tube while visiting my local Walgreen store, since I have been using and enjoying Dove AS Balm I thought "what the heck".

I'm only into my second shave with this product and still getting it dialed in lather wise. This is my first cream product so I wasn't sure what to expect (been using VDH for the past year) ... I like this cream very much. The scent mirror's their balm...lathers very well (had to watch a Mantic video on how to work with creams) and presto. Great glide, smooth shave, and calming after tones on my face and neck.

If you like Dove products, I think you will enjoy their shaving cream as well. I recommend it....

Last edited:
Top Bottom