What's new

What Knife Did You Use Today?

Legion

Staff member
Hey, they would be a good way to build a patina really fast.

Make sure to wash that blade well.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Building a patina is a way to make those iron clad blades like a Shigefusa a bit more resistant to the acids and such it encounters in everyday Western foods. The Japanese however, kind of consider it undesirable and might well clean the blade of any patina at the end of the day's use. But it is functional like the bluing on a gun.

You can "curate" a patina from the point where you might not notice it (as in the image of the Shigefusa I posted with a light gray patina that enhances the damascus pattern) to a multi-colored patina. I usually very lightly polish the blade after use but leave some patina.

And a suggestion for Shigefusa owners, after washing well, don't put it in the saya. The end grain of the handle will absorb water, and if put immediately in the saya, you'll notice it rusting at the point the saya contacts the blade which is right at the handle. Either let it dry, or seal the end grain to prevent water from getting in. I sealed mine because even if you can't see it, the tang can rust in the handle. If you use epoxy a la Takeda, try to make sure you use the minimum possible. The saya is fit to the blade at the handle, and if the glue moves the saya up a little, it won't fit tightly and you'll have to relieve the glue or the saya.

Cheers, Steve

I used my LEM stainless steel knife attached to my meat grinder. Turned out about six pounds of sweet italian sausage.

$DSCN1525_zpse5c16aa5.jpg
This guy has been my workhorse the past week. Richmond Artifex 250mm Sab profile in 52100 carbon steel. It has a soul- It patinas. :D

(Chiffonades basil really well too.)

Looking for handle suggestions. The black g10's are just too clean/not distressed enough. Was thinking of taking some steel wool to them...

Only knife I used today so far is my vintage (35+ year old) Henckels Pro S 4" paring knife for making breakfast.

I have not used any of these in quite a while because for about a year or so the drawer they were stored in had the runner supports break and the drawer dropped so that the drawer face was stuck under the counter lip and I never messed with it because I did not want to chip or otherwise damage the cherry drawer face or cherry counter edge. I just persevered with a few knives that I had out before the drawer failed. Last week I finally decided that I should fix the drawer (yea it has been on my to do list but not very close to the top). Now the drawer runs fine (cut some wood to attach the carcass runner directly to the cabinet so no chance of it failing again). I need to put up my magnetic bars to hold my knives as I do not like keeping them sliding around in a drawer which was supposed to be a temporary solution until I finished the kitchen.

Anyway.... These are/were the knives I used the most before they got the Poseidon treatment.

They're all Sabatier carbon.

Top to bottom:

12" chef (yea it IS a full foot long blade) .
10" chef.
6" general purpose (2).
3" paring.

My favorite 8" chef (not pictured) is a pre-war (1920's-30's) German Trident Solingen carbon blade.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have not used any of these in quite a while because for about a year or so the drawer they were stored in had the runner supports break and the drawer dropped so that the drawer face was stuck under the counter lip and I never messed with it because I did not want to chip or otherwise damage the cherry drawer face or cherry counter edge. I just persevered with a few knives that I had out before the drawer failed. Last week I finally decided that I should fix the drawer (yea it has been on my to do list but not very close to the top). Now the drawer runs fine (cut some wood to attach the carcass runner directly to the cabinet so no chance of it failing again). I need to put up my magnetic bars to hold my knives as I do not like keeping them sliding around in a drawer which was supposed to be a temporary solution until I finished the kitchen.

Anyway.... These are/were the knives I used the most before they got the Poseidon treatment.

They're all Sabatier carbon.

Top to bottom:

12" chef (yea it IS a full foot long blade) .
10" chef.
6" general purpose (2).
3" paring.

My favorite 8" chef (not pictured) is a pre-war (1920's-30's) German Trident Solingen carbon blade.

proxy.php
Some nice looking Sabs Mick@!

Used a Victoroex 10'' chef knife to slice and dice a dinner at my sisters place. Worked pretty good too. ,

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Friedr. Dick 1905 6-3/4-Inch Santoku.
New to my home. Brought this for the Mrs as she was shying away from my Japanese carbon core knifes. She prefers the easy care free stainless.
All good that means it's his and her knifes.

$20140305_172405.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Ooh I like the handle on that santoku Chris.
yes the rings instead of rivets are a nice touch. Their web site says they done that back in 1905. I have never seen it before myself.
http://www.dick.de/en/tools_for_chefs_and_butchers.php?warengruppe=303&sprache=EN&hauptgruppe=34
The steel is 60 HRC as well so should hold a edge well. OK that also depends on how SWMBO looks after it LOL

And the larch board! How do like it?

Cheers, Steve
I was told the board is made from recycled North American Oregon, roof trusses from a demolished hospital here in NZ.
Is North American Oregon a Larch ?
I like the size a lot and it looks after the knife edge.
I had to place some hooks on the wall to hang it up as it would not fit on the counter top.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I had to cut my daughter's sandwich in half, so I used these.

Attachments

• $IMG_3943.jpg
    $IMG_3943.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 133
  • $IMG_3950.jpg
    $IMG_3950.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 132

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The 3rd from the right is a honesuki, the 4th from the right is a petty.

Top Bottom