What's new

Any Runners in the House?

It's been about three weeks since I voluntarily stopped my streak. In that time, I took one day off purposely, and lost 3 others due to travel. I have found that my body now normally wakes up at the ungodly hour of 4:30 to go running, I start getting hyper if I'm not out the door by 5, and when I look at the online calendars I use to track my runs (mapmyfitness and GarminConnect), those 4 holes in the month of July REALLY bug me. The month of June looks so pristine and awe-inspiring, with a run on every single day.

That streak accomplished a few things besides the obvious health benefits. First, it established a habit in my head that feels really wrong to go against. To me, that's just great, since until then, I could never really develop consistency in making my runs a part of my life. It has ceased being a "to do," and is now just a "do." Second, use of the online tools really tapped into an OCD part of my brain. The visuals of watching my average heart rate drop over time, seeing the big peaks and valleys in heart rate as I ran up and down hills and recovered faster mid-run really showed me progress. Granted, I did not hop on the scale once during the streak, but if I had, I would have gotten demoralized, since the number went up, and not down. The tools gave me another physical measure of progress that is arguably more important than weight. Third, these social media tools really do serve as motivation. On mapmyfitness, I could go on and see where I fell in the group for the challenges I did, and motivate myself a little more to go a bit farther, so that people close behind me didn't catch up. Fourth, I could enjoy a Coke guilt-free. This may be the most enjoyable of all.

I admire people who can streak. Wow that sounded weird. I just can't, I need rest days or my tendons break down. Keep up the good work, Bob.

It's been about three weeks since I voluntarily stopped my streak. In that time, I took one day off purposely, and lost 3 others due to travel. I have found that my body now normally wakes up at the ungodly hour of 4:30 to go running, I start getting hyper if I'm not out the door by 5, and when I look at the online calendars I use to track my runs (mapmyfitness and GarminConnect), those 4 holes in the month of July REALLY bug me. The month of June looks so pristine and awe-inspiring, with a run on every single day.

That streak accomplished a few things besides the obvious health benefits. First, it established a habit in my head that feels really wrong to go against. To me, that's just great, since until then, I could never really develop consistency in making my runs a part of my life. It has ceased being a "to do," and is now just a "do." Second, use of the online tools really tapped into an OCD part of my brain. The visuals of watching my average heart rate drop over time, seeing the big peaks and valleys in heart rate as I ran up and down hills and recovered faster mid-run really showed me progress. Granted, I did not hop on the scale once during the streak, but if I had, I would have gotten demoralized, since the number went up, and not down. The tools gave me another physical measure of progress that is arguably more important than weight. Third, these social media tools really do serve as motivation. On mapmyfitness, I could go on and see where I fell in the group for the challenges I did, and motivate myself a little more to go a bit farther, so that people close behind me didn't catch up. Fourth, I could enjoy a Coke guilt-free. This may be the most enjoyable of all.

I recently joined up on my daily mile since it allows me to import directly from my Garmin watch, plus my big sis is on there too. I have found the simple graphs and weekly mile tracker to be very motivating, not to mention the weekly mileage leaderboard for my friends list.

Left knee pain has taken me out of service for a couple of days, but I am really hoping for a run tomorrow!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's run, for sure. The temps are supposed to be really cool. It sure will beat the schvitz I took during yesterday's run.

I'm more of a jogger (9 min miles) than a runner, but living just off the W&OD trail in Loudoun Virginia enables me to jump out there for 6-10 milers 5 times a week. It's my sanity.

To the other guys racing this fall, how's your training going?

Solid, so far. Did 10 miles Sunday for a weekly total of 28. Four mile recovery run last night and our regular bridges run tonight (~6 miles). Rest day on Wednesday. Tempo run on Thursday (5 miles) and a 4 mile easy run on Friday.

Feel good so far. No injuries but a mild ache in my ankle. That's from an old injury, though. Been doing some light yoga to stay stretched out, especially in my hips. Making sure I keep up with my nutrition, as I have a tendency to underestimate the amount of calories I need.

I'm more of a jogger (9 min miles) than a runner, but living just off the W&OD trail in Loudoun Virginia enables me to jump out there for 6-10 milers 5 times a week. It's my sanity.

I'm slower than you, and totally consider myself a runner.

Solid, so far. Did 10 miles Sunday for a weekly total of 28. Four mile recovery run last night and our regular bridges run tonight (~6 miles). Rest day on Wednesday. Tempo run on Thursday (5 miles) and a 4 mile easy run on Friday.

Feel good so far. No injuries but a mild ache in my ankle. That's from an old injury, though. Been doing some light yoga to stay stretched out, especially in my hips. Making sure I keep up with my nutrition, as I have a tendency to underestimate the amount of calories I need.

Any advice on any (free) videos for Yoga for Runners? I need to work on my flexibility. I rarely if ever stretch. I know that's not good.

Any advice on any (free) videos for Yoga for Runners? I need to work on my flexibility. I rarely if ever stretch. I know that's not good.

Videos, no. When I was a member of the YMCA I took classes there. Most yoga studios offer a free introductory class and/or a drop-in price. You could try a few classes and then do the poses at home (which is what I am doing now).

I do a sequence of Child's Pose, Cat/Cow, Downward Dog, Cobra and Pigeon Pose. Pigeon Pose is good for the hips, a problem area for me. I'd like to do more yoga but finding time is hard.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a runner

Ran my first 5k back in April in 29:xx, with ZERO training.

For some reason, I just signed up for back-to-back 5k/10K's September 12/13. 5k starts at 7:00 on a Friday evening, and the 10k starts at 7:30 the following morning.

Last night was the first time I've run in about two months. I did about 3k, with a few walking breaks to catch my breath. Probably ran 2-2.25km of the distance. I seem to naturally fall into a 5:45-6:00/km pace on flat terrain.

Any suggestions on how to get from being about to run 2k to 10k in six weeks? Five runs a week sound reasonable while training (one long run, with a few shorter ones throughout the week)?

I'm pretty clueless, but am determined...

For some reason, I just signed up for back-to-back 5k/10K's September 12/13. 5k starts at 7:00 on a Friday evening, and the 10k starts at 7:30 the following morning.

Last night was the first time I've run in about two months. I did about 3k, with a few walking breaks to catch my breath. Probably ran 2-2.25km of the distance. I seem to naturally fall into a 5:45-6:00/km pace on flat terrain.

Any suggestions on how to get from being about to run 2k to 10k in six weeks? Five runs a week sound reasonable while training (one long run, with a few shorter ones throughout the week)?

It's doable but could be tricky and may not be the best idea with them being back to back. I'd take it REALLY easy on that 5k. Treat it as a training run, not a race, IMO.

Would you have been able to run further if you took more walk breaks? A lot of people with minimal training walk/run a bit and there's no shame in that.

In my opinion, when training time is minimal; age, weight and genetics as well as your general fitness level play the strongest roles, not your effort level. There are so people that can just show up and run and do pretty well. You certainly didn't do badly on that 5k in April. Others it takes them 3 months to be able to complete a 5k.

Many beginners only run 3-4 days per week. Some can get away with more, but most can't. It took me a year or so to work up to 5 runs per week and that's still all I do 5 years in. The absolute most I can do is 6. Some people excel with 4, some with 7 depends on the person.

With only 6 weeks I would build up to an 8k (5mi) run, maybe 9 at the most. Adrenaline in the race should get through the last 2k.
I'd start with 3 days per week. 2k on two days, 3k on the longest day. I'd add a k a week to your long run. And slowly increase your shorter days, probably maxing out at 4-5k. Listen to your body. If you're really struggling or feel some signs of injury. I'd pick only one of the races to do.

Good luck.

That's a solid 5K time for not having trained!

Because you've not run further than a 5K (I'm assuming) and you haven't run in a couple of months, a modified version of a Couch-to-10K plan might be right for you. It will give you an idea of what kind of runs and distances you need going forward, and you can modify it to your fitness level. Because you are doing a back-to-back race you'll want to incorporate a couple of those into your training. You want to get your body used to running on tired legs. On race weekend consider an ice bath after the 5K.

And you ARE a runner!

Top Bottom