What's new

Any Runners in the House?

I think I passed a tipping point this week. I've increased my mileage so that I'm averaging about 4 miles per run and have been pushing the pace (particularly in the middle). The first mile usually stinks as my feet loosen up, but what can you do? Anyway, on Wednesday, the temps were cool, humidity was low and the run was effortless. Speed was about 30 seconds per mile faster than usual, and the hills were nothing. After a day off yesterday, I went back out today, pushed it again on the same route (road with a good combination of hills, flats and downhills) and cut another 20 seconds per mile off the pace. It wasn't exactly effortless, but recovery time was fast both in run and after. Tomorrow's run will be number 68 since Memorial Day, and I'll cross 250 miles in that time. I may be ready for some speed work.

Honestly, I am so sick of the heat and humidity, I would give almost anything for temps to drop into the 60's.

It's so hot and muggy here the temperature for my long runs has been in the 80s. At 6:30 a.m.

I think I passed a tipping point this week. I've increased my mileage so that I'm averaging about 4 miles per run and have been pushing the pace (particularly in the middle). The first mile usually stinks as my feet loosen up, but what can you do? Anyway, on Wednesday, the temps were cool, humidity was low and the run was effortless. Speed was about 30 seconds per mile faster than usual, and the hills were nothing. After a day off yesterday, I went back out today, pushed it again on the same route (road with a good combination of hills, flats and downhills) and cut another 20 seconds per mile off the pace. It wasn't exactly effortless, but recovery time was fast both in run and after. Tomorrow's run will be number 68 since Memorial Day, and I'll cross 250 miles in that time. I may be ready for some speed work.

Congrats, Bob!

In Indy temps have been lower than normal all summer, but it still drains me. I always train much better in the winter than the summer. The heat/humidity are my kryptonite.

I enjoy running in the early winter, but -35 sucks. That's usually the point at which my eyelashes start to freeze together and my thighs feel like they have hundreds of tiny ice knives sticking in them. I have to say I've never felt that way on a run in the heat. Of course, I've never run in Florida.

It's so hot and muggy here the temperature for my long runs has been in the 80s. At 6:30 a.m.

I remember those days all too well from when we lived in Alabama. The only way to get a run in below 80 degrees was to run in the early morning before first light. And even then it was still in the high 70's. Ugh!

I live in Alabama. I got lucky last week with a couple days that the high was only 85 and my evening run was great. Times and distance were better than typical. But, here we are a week later and I am running in the heat and humidity of days that are in the upper 90s. It is rough.

I enjoy running in the early winter, but -35 sucks. That's usually the point at which my eyelashes start to freeze together and my thighs feel like they have hundreds of tiny ice knives sticking in them. I have to say I've never felt that way on a run in the heat. Of course, I've never run in Florida.

It doesn't get that cold where I live. And that level of cold is different. I've done lots of runs at around zero and with proper gear I'm fine. I've skied in that level of cold and that was awful even with clothing several inches thick covering everything.

Guess life is rough on either end of the thermometer, hey? Sounds like we can all agree that spring and fall are excellent times to run :biggrin:

Guess life is rough on either end of the thermometer, hey? Sounds like we can all agree that spring and fall are excellent times to run :biggrin:

I love Fall for everything, hands down my favorite time of the year! Really, really, really can't wait to run in the Fall. Our half marathon is towards the end of October and should be just about perfect.

Top Bottom