What's new

What is your favourite artisan shaving soap?

If I could only pick one it would be this:

$100_3200 (800x589).jpg

I too agree, that's why I like this place so much, and that's why there are so many products. A person is bound to find a few that work well for them. For me its not always a matter of generating lather per se. Most soaps, especially ones that people hold in high regard even if I end up not, can be lathered. Its simply a matter of 2 things. 1- How hard I have to work to accomplish the lather. and 2- How it performs on my face when applied. Now granted there are a few soaps that just dont seem to lather well, big fluffy bubbles and loose lather However when we start talking popular product, even if I dont like them, I can get a lather. I just dont wanna have to work my butt off for it or even if I dont and it lathers nice if it doesnt "behave well"on my face then thats a lathering issue I can t accept. Ive had lathers that looked like pictures from a soap ad, but slid around or dissipated once applied etc. Anyway YMMV as you said. Oh and if you wanna distinguish glide from cushion - grab some Cremo Cream, slick, slicker than anything, zero cushion. You will have your distinction! Take care my friend.

Well said. I tend to rate soaps on how they perform on my face without having to twirl my brush 20 swirls 1 direction and then 7 swirls the other direction to get a perfect lather that really doesn't offer that much protection. And while scents do determine whether I keep a soap or not, I don't evaluate soap performance based on scent.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Very difficult question... Because ALL of my artisan soaps are on top of nearly every non-artisan soap I've used.

Right now I'm really enjoying B&M, LASS, Synergy, PPF, and Mike's, and I have some Stirling to try tomorrow morning.

The ones I've tried that aren't quite to the level as these above are Calani, Panna Crema, and QCS, but they were quite good still and just not for my face.

Favorite was a goats milk and shea butter one I found on ebay and is not available anymore. Thankfully I have enough to last me a few years LOL

Okay, this might frustrate some people, but my new favorite is from Wet Shave Obsession (wetshaveobsession.com). I prefer to keep the artisans in business since they care about the product more than profit and customers more than profit as well. Jim is just starting his artisanal line and man was I blown away with the soap. I normally use Stirling, poraso,cella, DRH, etc.. This puck is huge and has all of the easy lathering of creams and softer soaps, however it is a hard uniform puck. It lathers like a champ and super quick, very slick, good range of scents (dying for his second batch to come out). All in all I have to say I have found my soap, unless I get want a gimmick shave (cold, burn, etc) this will be the one soap that I just use everyday and look forward to it.

It is between Mike's, Synergy, Strop Shoppe, Calani, Jabonman, TFS and some RazoRocks. I should have it narrowed down by 2016.

A bit of a contrarian here. I have used four artisan soaps, and I didn't like a one of them. I won't name them, as this is so screamingly a case of terminal YMMV.

I didn't like the consistency. I thought the scents were odd, or weak. I have no idea why bentonite clay in often included in artisan soaps: bentonite, also used as a bulk laxative, as kitty litter, and as oil-drilling mud. I really want this stuff on my face?

So now I have been using Trumper and D. R. Harris soaps, both with outstanding results. Sorry, artisans.

I have tried QCS, Mikes, Mystic Water, Barrister & Mann, Synergy, & MdC.

And the winner is.....

Barrister & Mann

Barrister & Mann, but I have some Tiki Surf's Up and RR/Fine American Blend in the mail so we'll see if B&M gets any competition.

I read many people here use (and are satisfied with) PannaCrema.

It is recently available a new soap which has been formulated in co-operation with the members of the Italian forum "Ilrasoio": Felce Aromatica (Aromatic fern) Beta 4.0.

It took the producer quite a bit of time to achieve final results but now... it's there!

Easy to lather, can withstand various amounts of water, even if it is advisable to soften the soap surface with warm water before and use a brush which is not too loaded with water.

Being born very recently there is one scent only available, in two different packagings: one (refill) hand cut from extrusion, the other one a solid puck in an aluminum box.
you can see it here: http://www.saponificiovaresino.com/...language=en&osCsid=77496gn3sarumf7m5qc5773e76.

It has great after shave qualities, immediately perceivable, which improve skin characteristics with daily use.

Shortly, there will be a new scent available, as soon as his perfumer will find another scent whose qualities are up to his soap!

Will keep you informed...

Top Bottom