What's new

Recommend a Dark Green Ink?

Greetings! I'm new to fountain pens, but it seems they may be a new addiction. I recently picked up a Lamy Safari in gloss black, EF nib. I like using it quite a bit, and it's become my daily carry pen. However, I'd like to make it a little more personal, and since my favorite color happens to be green I'd like to get some green ink for it.

So I appeal to your collective wisdom and experience for recommendations. I'll be using the Lamy converter in the pen. I'm seeking an ink that dries quickly (I'm a lefty) and is dark enough to be used in business situations, but green enough that it's obvious it's not black... if that makes any sense. I'll try to use decent paper whenever possible, but I do expect a fair bit of writing on office supply paper and post-it notes. Thanks in advance!

Well....B&B teamed up with Noodlers to create a dark green called "Five O'clock Shadow". It is very similar to Noodlers "Zhivago". Dry time might be tricky with both of those. Diamine makes a lovely "Green Black".

You might want to check out the Goulet Pen Company website. They have a nice interactive tool called the "Swab Shop" that will allow you to view a good many inks in one sitting.

I'll throw diamine's umber into the ring.
I always thought umber was a brown colour, but no, according to diamine its green.
Its my main ink at work - green enough to be obviously green, yet still suitable for a business environment. Its well behaved too.

I have an EF safari in lime green that's always loaded with it.

Well....B&B teamed up with Noodlers to create a dark green called "Five O'clock Shadow".
I've always considered 5 O'CS to be a black with a faint green tint. Maybe it's my old eyes...:ohmy:

Diamine Sherwood Green is an attractive dark green. You could order a few different samples from Goulet and see which one works best for your needs.

Last edited:
+ 1 on the Goulet Swab Shop recommendation. My favorite dark green is Private Reserve Sherwood Green, though it's more of a forest green than a green-black.

I ordered Noodlers Sequoia and Diamine Avocado for my Xmas cards. Neither were particularly Christmassy, but I loved the Diamine Avocado. The Sequoia probably fits the bill better as the darker green. Here are a couple of bad photos that I hope are helpful.

Diamine Avocado
$IMG_1101.jpg

Noodlers Sequoia:

$IMG_1102.jpg

Rob

I recommend any Noodlers ink. I also recommend you stay away from Diamine's green inks. They dry very quickly and really cake your nib and converter. It might be ok if you change out inks very regularly. If not be prepared to do a full cleaning often.

I've tried a sample vial of Zhivago...it's essentially black with a green attitude. If you work at it, you can make believ there is green there (in my opinion).

I wanted a green that was a nice deep green so that at first glance, and maybe a second glance, it would seem black, but was still a true green. Sequoia almost meets that need in that it satisfies the first glance, but not the second. Still, Sequoia does the job for me enough that I got a full bottle.

I would either go with 5 o'clock shadow or Sailor Jentle Epinard.
The thing is with the EF nib, you may not see much of the shading of the ink.

I have a bottle of Private Reserve Avocado that I like, and a bottle of DeAtramentis Pine Green. The Pine Green seems to dry pretty quickly from my EF nib, so it might work good for you. But I would also recommend the Goulet swab shop... great interactive tool.

I recommend any Noodlers ink. I also recommend you stay away from Diamine's green inks. They dry very quickly and really cake your nib and converter. It might be ok if you change out inks very regularly. If not be prepared to do a full cleaning often.

The OP specifically asked for a quick drying ink.
Ive found Diamine's greens particularly good - which have you had caking issues with?

Thanks very much. I'll have to queue up some samples. Is it possible to obtain a sample size of Five O'clock Shadow somewhere?

Top Bottom