What's new

What is the CLASSIC shave cream or barbershop scent.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
What is the CLASSIC BARBERSHOP SCENT? Proraso has a classic scent ,TOBS has the shave shop scent, Musgo Real has a classic scent. So what is the classic scent

Whatever makes you think of a classic barbershop, this could be Pinaud Clubman or Bay Rum or a number of things to probably a number of people. While I am not a fan of Pinaud Clubman, I love it when my Barber dusts of my neck with his large brush with a dusting of Clubman talc, sort of makes my day!

Clubman and Proraso Green for sure. First time I used Clubman a couple months ago I was IMMEDIATELY taken back to barbershop visits with my dad from days past.

This may be out in left field, but from first sniff, I always found Penhaligon's Douro shaving cream to be an archetypal, high-end barbershop scent - much more so than the cologne itself.

What is the CLASSIC BARBERSHOP SCENT? Proraso has a classic scent ,TOBS has the shave shop scent, Musgo Real has a classic scent. So what is the classic scent
For me it's the smell of cigarette smoke with a little cigar smoke mixed in and the faint hint of coffee and cream. Once in the barber chair I would say talcum powder and the aroma of this light creamy soapy scented shaving soap the barber used to shave around the ears and back of neck......but bare in mind that real barber shops are scarce today, at least in my area. I'm not talking reincarnations of shops by a younger generation...I mean real old fashioned barbershops. I never had a barber from my youth ever use any of the products mentioned here on this forum. Think most of the stuff they used then were from older companies no longer in business.

Gillette Foamy Barbershop Fresh (can).
Stephan, Master, or Gabels bayrum.
Pinaud Clubman talc.

The Barbershop Fresh foam has a nice amber scent, & smells a lot like lather machine lather. It also smells a lot like Vitos Aftershaving splash.

Pinaud Clubman Talc for sure from my childhood. My current barber uses Stephan Bay Rum after the shave around the ears and the back of the neck.

Top Bottom