What's new

N00b saying Hello from Palm Bay

Hello everyone. Jedite83 from Palm Bay Florida here. I have been lurking

I decided to get started in DE shaving after years of overpriced cartridge razors and cheap disposables that never really got the job done to my satisfaction.
Over the last year or so I have been telling my wife that I wanted to get a straight razor, but was always hesitant due to the start up cost. After discovering B&B (and some videos on Youtube) I decided to go with a safety razor instead.
In october I got a Shaving Factory shaver and Dorco blades (Amazon for under $14). A cheap puck of CHD soap (under $2 at Walmart) and a cheap makeup brush (I know its really the wrong tool, but as I was still undecided on the whose wet shaving thing) got me started. For under $20 I had everything I needed to dip my tow int he water and give what everyone was saying would be a better shave a try.
After the first few cut filled shaves I started getthing the hang of it and fell in love. Shaving was no longer a tedious, painful chore, but something I now look forward all day to to (I tend to shave right before bed so I can sleep in later in the morning.)
The makeup brush was the only real issue :mad3:. It got the soap lathered and on my face, but it wasn't very good at either. After the first month or so the bulk of the brissles were just a tangled mass. For Yule my wife got me a Escali Badger Shaving Brush ($14 on Amazon). Switching to a proper brush made a huge difference. The brush and lathering the soap is still proving to be the hardest part to get the knack of, but I am still working on my technique.

A better shave and cheaper to boot? I'm a convert for sure.

$2013-12-26 21.18.20.jpg

Welcome to B&B!!!

Ask as many questions as needed, we're all here to help. If you feel like getting some different soaps, creams, blades aftershave etc. rest assured that there are some fine products available for very reasonable/cheap prices.

Happy Shaving

Welcome! Looks like a good basic setup.

For the lather, on the cheaper soaps and brushes face lathering may be a lot easier. Just get your face wet, rub the wet puck of soap on your face until your whiskers start to almost make a lather. Then take your brush and get it wet, wring it out but don't shake it dry, and start swirling on your face. get a little water on the brush and swirl some more and repeat until it looks like you have shaving cream on your face. The really nice thing is that instead of just swirling soap around a bowl, you are actually working the soap into the beard.:sorcerer:

Hello everyone. Jedite83 from Palm Bay Florida here. I have been lurking

I decided to get started in DE shaving after years of overpriced cartridge razors and cheap disposables that never really got the job done to my satisfaction.
Over the last year or so I have been telling my wife that I wanted to get a straight razor, but was always hesitant due to the start up cost. After discovering B&B (and some videos on Youtube) I decided to go with a safety razor instead.
In october I got a Shaving Factory shaver and Dorco blades (Amazon for under $14). A cheap puck of CHD soap (under $2 at Walmart) and a cheap makeup brush (I know its really the wrong tool, but as I was still undecided on the whose wet shaving thing) got me started. For under $20 I had everything I needed to dip my tow int he water and give what everyone was saying would be a better shave a try.
After the first few cut filled shaves I started getthing the hang of it and fell in love. Shaving was no longer a tedious, painful chore, but something I now look forward all day to to (I tend to shave right before bed so I can sleep in later in the morning.)
The makeup brush was the only real issue :mad3:. It got the soap lathered and on my face, but it wasn't very good at either. After the first month or so the bulk of the brissles were just a tangled mass. For Yule my wife got me a Escali Badger Shaving Brush ($14 on Amazon). Switching to a proper brush made a huge difference. The brush and lathering the soap is still proving to be the hardest part to get the knack of, but I am still working on my technique.

A better shave and cheaper to boot? I'm a convert for sure.

View attachment 396907
You have good basic set up but it is not of great quality. IF you upgrade your shave results will sky rocket .

You have good basic set up but it is not of great quality. IF you upgrade your shave results will sky rocket .

I never expected to get great quality. Now that I know that I am interested in wet shaving I will, later on, pick up better quality equipment. After the holidays I will see about picking up a blade sampler pack.

Welcome! Looks like a good basic setup.

For the lather, on the cheaper soaps and brushes face lathering may be a lot easier. Just get your face wet, rub the wet puck of soap on your face until your whiskers start to almost make a lather. Then take your brush and get it wet, wring it out but don't shake it dry, and start swirling on your face. get a little water on the brush and swirl some more and repeat until it looks like you have shaving cream on your face. The really nice thing is that instead of just swirling soap around a bowl, you are actually working the soap into the beard.:sorcerer:
I'll gave face lathering a try next time I shave and see if it works better for me..

Top Bottom