What's new

An Ink Accident That Could Only Happen to a B&B Member!

Arrrgh...I'm so #$%$%# angry with myself right now.

I have bottle of Alt-Innsbruck aftershave/cologne. It is wonderful, heavenly stuff. However, the lovely glass bottle does not have a dispenser top, so I've periodically decanted some into a small Nalgene bottle with a dropper top so I don't lose or waste any of this precious elixir. After this morning's shave, the Nalgene bottle was empty, so I decided it was time for a refill. I got out the A-I bottle and carefully poured what was left (about 10 or 15%) into a clean cup, and took a blunt-tip syringe that I use for refilling eyedropper pens. I inserted the tip into the cup and pulled up the plunger, completely filling the syringe with a brilliant red(!) liquid! It turns out that my supposedly-clean syringe had been used previously to fill a pen with Diamine Ancient Copper ink, and although the barrel of the syringe was clean, the needle must have been loaded with dried ink. I momentarily considered saving the bright red liquid, but common sense prevailed as I realized I didn't want to walk around looking like John Boehner after too much time in the tanning booth! :blushing: I ended up pouring it all down the drain...whilst sobbing uncontrollably. :crying:

The moral of the story is never assume that an instrument that has been in contact with ink is actually clean unless you test it first!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You need to make a reducer for the Alt Innsbruck like I did -- I used a rubber grommet.

Anyways, sorry for the loss of that precious liquid. And wait until you smell the next load of ink!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"Nice aftershave you are wearing, but man you got one heck of a razor burn!"

You need to make a reducer for the Alt Innsbruck like I did -- I used a rubber grommet.

Anyways, sorry for the loss of that precious liquid. And wait until you smell the next load of ink!

I was able to remove the plastic reducer from a DR Harris aftershave bottle and with a little "convincing" it will fit into the spout of the Alt Innsbruck bottle. Now each time I kill a Bottle of AI the reducer gets moved to the new bottle - it no longer takes "convincing" to fit into the new bottle. I really love the AI bottle and cap, so keeping this beloved juice in its native bottle was a big plus for me.

The other moral is to get one set of tools for your ink and another for your aftershaves :lol:

Top Bottom