What's new

Travel Shave

Had to travel for work earlier this week. As it was a short trip, decided to just bring my Gillette Sensor and a travel sized can of goop. The shave was fine, but as I was standing at the hotel sink I realized how completely soulless it felt. There was no joy in it at all. It was a chore to get done.

I'm still new to DE shaving, and maybe I took an extra swig of the Kool-Aid, but that shave made me realize how sublime DE shaving is. I couldn't wait to get back home to my razor.

Yeah, many of us feel like that. If you travel much, you will find things that work well for you for travel. I travel with DE gear as I simply will not resort to carts and goo if I absolutely don't have to.

I carry my complete kit which includes my large shaving bowl, pre-shave, post-shave balm, shaving soap, shaving cream, alum block (just in case), brush, after shave and a Parker travel razor. It all fits in my large shaving kit bag that I purchased from The Container Store. I am so spoiled by DE shaving that I can't leave home without it:001_smile.

Even if you might have to use a cartridge (if you travel by air), you can still take a tube of good shaving cream and a brush. You won't get as good a shave, but at least you don't have to suffer the goo. I think that the goo probably causes more problems than the cart because of all the chemicals in it.

travel set when i can check a bag.

$Travel shave set.jpg

Last time I travelled I bent low and instead of bringing my kit I wanted to pack light and took a can of goo and when I arrived it had exploded all over my checked bag. Never again.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Badger Bill

I think if I had to give up something in lieu of travel, it would be my razor. I won't give up my creams, brush, or shave sticks. But if you can get by with canned cream, then by all means do it!

MYy travel setup is pretty much my home setup. My razor comes apart and I store in it a tin, along with blades. I have a synthetic travel brush. Then a tube of cream and a travel sized bottle of AS. The whole lot fits in the palm of my hand.

I travel with my Simpson Case 1 Best Badger and the Simpson travel tube, La Toja shave stick for face lathering, and my EJ DE89L tucked into a felt-lined travel sheath.

I have a 16 mm silvertip brush with a custom made handle that I travel with. I also carry my small puck of Col Conk Bay Rum in a small plastic canister that originally held Crayola Color Bath Drops. I use the Col Conk lid on it because it looks better than the green one it came with. the canister provides just enough depth to make it easier to lather with (sort of like a miniature shaving mug).

I'm a cartridge user, so I travel with a Gillette Sensor.

I always check my bag and travel with a mini- shave den. MWF and either a shave cream or a stick. Two DE razors (plus a Schick G for cleanup). AS, Witch Hazel, styptic, lots of blades, and a small contortionist-barber.

I was wondering about getting a 10-pack of Gillette Guards from India for travel. I doubt that I actually will, since I take 2 razors/soap tin/brush for my trips. I figure that if I'm nuts enough to take a GEM 1912 Junior and a British New open comb with different blades that I wouldn't enjoy a cartridge much.

+1

I had the best shave at 3am this morning in Orlando...iKon OC, Feather, da Fat, WD Synthetic, Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme. I felt great driving in the dark to the airport. :thumbup1:

And now you've got me wanting a Gem...:drool:

I was wondering about getting a 10-pack of Gillette Guards from India for travel. I doubt that I actually will, since I take 2 razors/soap tin/brush for my trips. I figure that if I'm nuts enough to take a GEM 1912 Junior and a British New open comb with different blades that I wouldn't enjoy a cartridge much.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice! This was a very short trip - did not check a bag and would only need to shave once. I do like the idea of bringing a shave stick and brush on such trips, and will do that next time. Of course, if I check a bag I will bring my complete kit.

Top Bottom