What's new

What to shave with when traveling and can’t bring blades?

I’ve been traveling to Europe from Canada for a couple of weeks each summer and I usually just bring carry-on luggage and a backpack so I havent been able to bring blades for my DE razor with me. Unfortunately I haven’t had any luck finding local shops to buy blades at at my destinations. I’ve tried using a Gillette 5 Blade razor and a BIC disposable but the shaves just aren’t great. Looking for advice and insight on what others use for vacation when they can’t bring their blades.

Try the Penny Shaver, from AP Shave Company. It has been giving me terrific shaves while traveling. I get ~8 shaves per blade and they are less than 50 cents a piece.
+1. Before that I was using a PII/TracII but I appreciate the return to a single blade. I fly frequently and am firmly in the onebag/carry on camp for my travel so traveling with a cartridge is a fact of life for me.

What country or countries are you going to? DE blades can be found, but you need to know where to look.

If you are travelling within Europe, you can't take blades in your carry on. A cart is probably your best option if your travel involves a few flights.

You can find DE blades in Europe quite easily
You have them regular supermatkets, they are ususaly at the bottom shelf hidden.
Also you can get them at cosmetics stores like DM or Müller, they are readily available.
Also KCG you can get in all shops, it's nex to all other Gillette cartriges, razor and blades and all other stuf from that Gillette line
Plus, if you travel for more than a few days, check in your bag and you won't have a problem.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just ask the concierge at your hotel for DE blades. If the concierge is any good, he will have a few different types for you to choose from.

Penny Shaver is a Canadian company, should be easy to get those Penny Shaver carts mailed to you. The $13 for 100 Personna Twin Carts on Amazon are also pretty good in a Atra or TracII handle (better yet get the Japan Schick Ultra with X). The Schick/Wilkinson Sword twin disposables are also pretty good.

If I am to stay in one spot for awhile, then I take my Lord L6 and mail blades to the hotel.

If I am moving around, then I go back to carts. Sad, but TSA is difficult and unpredictable!

I’ve been traveling to Europe from Canada for a couple of weeks each summer and I usually just bring carry-on luggage and a backpack so I havent been able to bring blades for my DE razor with me. Unfortunately I haven’t had any luck finding local shops to buy blades at at my destinations. I’ve tried using a Gillette 5 Blade razor and a BIC disposable but the shaves just aren’t great. Looking for advice and insight on what others use for vacation when they can’t bring their blades.

I find it difficult to believe that it is difficult to find blades. :001_cool:
When I was still flying to Europe every month finding DE blades was easy.
Some bigger airports even had drugstores that carried them.

Which countries are you going to?
Maybe I can point out a few stores.
It may not be your favourite blade, but it shouldn’t be difficult to find a decent blade.
If nothing else works, pm me your EU address and I mail you a tuck to any address in the EU.
(I can afford to be generous, because I am sure that, with the exception of the UK, something will work out. :biggrin1: )
Sorry, UK is excluded from this offer because of post-Brexit customs hassle and UK restrictions on mailing blades in the UK.

Are you staying in a hotel, by any chance?
In that case, you could mail blades to the hotel, but better ask them first so they are prepared.
(That does not work so well in the US, where hotels often charge for this service.)

One more suggestion: If you wan to bring your safety razor along in your backpack, Canada and Europe airport security tend to be less uncompromising as the TSA in the US, but to avoid questions to begin with, it might be advisable to take a disassembled (three-piece is best) razor with you and stash the individual parts in different pockets of your carry-on.

B.

Last edited:
Last month I was in SanFran for a week with only carry on luggage. Had a Gillette roller blade cartridge razor with extra cartridges. Each morning it felt like the hairs were being ripped out of my face.

Most likely will mail blades to the hotel next time.

Last week, did a quick turnaround/carry-on trip to Boston. Good opportunity to try a Bic Metal disposable for the first time.

Packed my usual pre-shave, soap, bowl, brush and aftershave. Spotlight was on the razor (and perhaps the water).

Worst shave in the past year! Weepers galore AND irritation AND not-even-close results.

Just bring whatever cart works best for you; MachIII, Dorco6, etc

Or, depending on your first location, buy a tuck from an online shop close to your destination and have it delivered to your hotel.

Top Bottom