What's new

What to shave with when traveling and can’t bring blades?

I find it difficult to believe that it is difficult to find blades. :001_cool:
When I was still flying to Europe every month finding DE blades was easy.
Some bigger airports even had drugstores that carried them.

Which countries are you going to?
Maybe I can point out a few stores.
It may not be your favourite blade, but it shouldn’t be difficult to find a decent blade.
If nothing else works, pm me your EU address and I mail you a tuck to any address in the EU.
(I can afford to be generous, because I am sure that, with the exception of the UK, something will work out. :biggrin1: )
Sorry, UK is excluded from this offer because of post-Brexit customs hassle and UK restrictions on mailing blades in the UK.

Are you staying in a hotel, by any chance?
In that case, you could mail blades to the hotel, but better ask them first so they are prepared.
(That does not work so well in the US, where hotels often charge for this service.)

One more suggestion: If you wan to bring your safety razor along in your backpack, Canada and Europe airport security tend to be less uncompromising as the TSA in the US, but to avoid questions to begin with, it might be advisable to take a disassembled (three-piece is best) razor with you and stash the individual parts in different pockets of your carry-on.

B.
I’ve found a few ways to get them into the country on my last few trips (once they didn’t flag it to my surprise, another a friend was bringing a checked back so he took them for me). I have checked at grocery stores and pharmacies in Italy and Spain recently but didn’t see any DEs there. I do have a trip coming up though so I might bring one of the disposables noted here but do a bigger search for DEs on site. Appreciate the generous offer to send them but i wouldn’t want to impose like that 😃

I’ve found a few ways to get them into the country on my last few trips (once they didn’t flag it to my surprise, another a friend was bringing a checked back so he took them for me). I have checked at grocery stores and pharmacies in Italy and Spain recently but didn’t see any DEs there. I do have a trip coming up though so I might bring one of the disposables noted here but do a bigger search for DEs on site. Appreciate the generous offer to send them but i wouldn’t want to impose like that 😃

If you have an Amazon account at home, you can also use Amazon in Italy and Spain and have it send to a local address there. Just log in to amazon.it or amazon.es as usual, you may have to enter some of your credit card details when placing the order though as per standard Amazon procedure. The procedure is essentially the same as having a Canadian Amazon account and ordering from Amazon in the US and having the order shipped to an address there.

Safety razor blades on Amazon Italy:

on Amazon Spain:

Some local chains that carry safety razor blades:

Italy:
https://www.tigota.it/it/catalogsearch/result/?q=lame+rasoio
(located in Rome and northern Italy)

Spain:
(The supermarket division of the El Corte Ingles department store, located in mayor Spanish cities.)

And of course there is highly reliable Gifts & Care from Spain that will send orders (including aftershaves with alcohol content) within one or two working days all over Europe.

Lastly, I would not pick up a cartridge razor at home and then carry it with me to Europe unless I were to arrive on a Sunday or Saturday afternoon.
European supermarkets are full of these things and have generally a better selection than at home.

B.

Last edited:
I travel all around the US and have never, ever had a situation where they catch the one or two or three blades in my carry on. They do however, almost always flag the razor itself and search it to make sure it doesn't have a blade in it.

As mentioned before: Bic Metal!
Not the regular Bic disposables.
Probably the best disposable out there.
It's the closest thing to using an SE/DE.
I always take them whenever I don't have checked baggage or when I don't want to be bothered with packing too much gear.
These:

Bic_metal.png

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I travel with Bic Metal razors. They’re cheap and fairly easy to find. However, they do shave differently and good prep before shaving is important.

Years ago I liked Schick FX Diamond twin blade. I thought they were still available in Europe. I think you might be surprised by the quality of shave that you get if you find one.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I travel with Bic Metal razors. They’re cheap and fairly easy to find. However, they do shave differently and good prep before shaving is important.

Years ago I liked Schick FX Diamond twin blade. I thought they were still available in Europe. I think you might be surprised by the quality of shave that you get if you find one.
I just did a quick search and I see that the Schick FX has been rebranded under Wilkinson Sword.

Top Bottom