What's new

Teaching kids to shave for charity

I had some fun yesterday. I volunteer to teach refugee children. They have lost everything and have nothing. Where i am they are not even allowed to go to the public schools and their parents aren't allowed to work. So we feed them and teach them. About half have reached puberty, but disinterested fathers, or also because they are so poor, have not taught these boys and girls how to shave. I raised money and got donations from some generous shop owners. I collected twist to open DE safety razors, shaving brushes, shaving cream in tubes, and toothbrushes. Then, yesterday, I carried the whole bunch over to the center, three huge bags full. I had to get help. We set up in a large enough room and I went through a lesson on how to operate the razor, how to load it, how to build lather with a brush, etc. I showed the boys how to put the razor on their faces and the girls I showed how to hold the razor under their arms and on their legs. Then, I left the girls with a woman and took the boys to corridor with a sink and mirror and taught them hands on how to shave. They each had their very first shave and only one got a tiny weeper. They were all so proud. It was a good day.

I didn't have a dad around (not his fault) when I reached puberty and I was given a razor and no instructions. The same was true for a number of my friends. We all walked around with toilet paper stuck to our faces. Children need a man to teach them things and we can never assume it is getting taught at home, at least correctly.

Maybe this is something to think about?

I accidentally posted this in General Straight Razor and asked the mod to move it. The other comments didn't make the move, but never mind.

This was a gift of love. Those kids have lost everything, families, schools, you name it. They aren't allowed to go to school in the host country and their parents can't work. You never know what you have until you meet folks like these. They stay so positive and happy and make me feel like crying (even as big as I am). Some of the girls knew how to shave arm pits, but not all. None knew about legs. The boys had never had anybody teach them how to shave and so they shaved their faces for the first time ever.

They were all so happy they begged the center to let them take left over razors and brushes to their fathers. These were good knockoffs of Gillette twist to open razors and shave very good. They were in black chrome and looked fantastic. I demonstrated with my James Bond Gillette Slim.

Years ago I participated in a Big Brother type program. Over time I had five children without fathers at home, some due to divorce, some to the death of the father. Boys and girls need a proper morally upright man to show them the ropes. Sometimes it would be taking the little ones to the fire station, or teaching them to fish. Sometimes teaching them to shave, or change a water pump on a car. Then, of course, were always the life lessons. How do they be good quality people? How do they become courageous when the source of their security is no longer there? How do they deal with life's hard questions and even some that are easy for adults, but hard for kids. Young people need a strong man around who is kind and not a bully.

Years ago I participated in a Big Brother type program. Over time I had five children without fathers at home, some due to divorce, some to the death of the father. Boys and girls need a proper morally upright man to show them the ropes. Sometimes it would be taking the little ones to the fire station, or teaching them to fish. Sometimes teaching them to shave, or change a water pump on a car. Then, of course, were always the life lessons. How do they be good quality people? How do they become courageous when the source of their security is no longer there? How do they deal with life's hard questions and even some that are easy for adults, but hard for kids. Young people need a strong man around who is kind and not a bully.
You're a man Dan,bless you.

People who help others in our World create good feelings.

Back in 1960 neighbor was Reserve Captain with LASO, now LASD.

His unit always help family at holidays, family alway was recent widow with 2+ kids.

First year I help him with some labor, I got to see Joy on famalies face.

Left quite impression.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I had some fun yesterday. I volunteer to teach refugee children. They have lost everything and have nothing. Where i am they are not even allowed to go to the public schools and their parents aren't allowed to work. So we feed them and teach them. About half have reached puberty, but disinterested fathers, or also because they are so poor, have not taught these boys and girls how to shave. I raised money and got donations from some generous shop owners. I collected twist to open DE safety razors, shaving brushes, shaving cream in tubes, and toothbrushes. Then, yesterday, I carried the whole bunch over to the center, three huge bags full. I had to get help. We set up in a large enough room and I went through a lesson on how to operate the razor, how to load it, how to build lather with a brush, etc. I showed the boys how to put the razor on their faces and the girls I showed how to hold the razor under their arms and on their legs. Then, I left the girls with a woman and took the boys to corridor with a sink and mirror and taught them hands on how to shave. They each had their very first shave and only one got a tiny weeper. They were all so proud. It was a good day.

I didn't have a dad around (not his fault) when I reached puberty and I was given a razor and no instructions. The same was true for a number of my friends. We all walked around with toilet paper stuck to our faces. Children need a man to teach them things and we can never assume it is getting taught at home, at least correctly.

Maybe this is something to think about?

Dan:
You are Da Man...and thanx for all your time volunteering, teaching and mentoring today's children at risk or otherwise. :thumbsup:

BTW, my dearly departed Father (whom I considered a great Gentleman and Dad), taught me with one of his old Gillette's, Ever-Ready Brushes, Williams Soap and mug he gave me and I taught my son's (with no success...who were fascinated...although they both love to face lather...I wish I had pics...maybe they'll come around in the future). :001_rolle

I guess life is just too fast for them [being cartridge men that they are..."No time Dad"]), but in all it was such fun and bonding to teach my two (2), boys. :yesnod:

proxy.php
"A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others". Author Unknown

PS I know a custom title for you...'B & B's Head of Volunteer Operations'

Last edited:
If they're from 3rd world country then there is a big chance that they already know about DE razors. They're still popular in poor countries because they're much cheaper compared to the modern, overhyped, overpriced crappy multi blade razors.

If they're from 3rd world country then there is a big chance that they already know about DE razors. They're still popular in poor countries because they're much cheaper compared to the modern, overhyped, overpriced crappy multi blade razors.
Spoken like a true first worlder. Some did, some didn't. None of the boys had ever been shown how to shave. Some of the girls had been, but not all. People from very poor backgrounds have a lot more to worry about. Also, many of their parents view them as a burden, so they need people to show them things.

Spoken like a true first worlder. Some did, some didn't. None of the boys had ever been shown how to shave. Some of the girls had been, but not all. People from very poor backgrounds have a lot more to worry about. Also, many of their parents view them as a burden, so they need people to show them things.
Actually my parents are from a 3rd world country :001_tt2: and I know that the people in the poor regions of my home country they use DE razors. Sometimes new and expensive isn't better while simplicity is.

People here in the first world worry about the most useless things. I'm glad I'm not a teenager.

Top Bottom