What's new

What are you reloading this weekend?

I am loading up a batch of 7x57 w/ 120 grain Hornadys w/ Ramshot Big Game powder. I am also going to load up some w/ 139 grain Hornadys and Ramshot Hunter powder that I will try in my Ruger #1. I have found both of these Ramshot powders to be very accurate in several of my rifles.
cottontop

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just finished up 50 rounds of plinker 223. 55g Fmj behind 25g of Varget. Currently looking around for a more economical powder tho.

Worked all weekend, so tomorrow is reloading day. I plan on doing 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads. I shot two rounds of trap last week with my first batch, and they are much more user friendly than 1 1/8 oz. loads.

I am loading up a batch of 7x57 w/ 120 grain Hornadys w/ Ramshot Big Game powder. I am also going to load up some w/ 139 grain Hornadys and Ramshot Hunter powder that I will try in my Ruger #1. I have found both of these Ramshot powders to be very accurate in several of my rifles.
cottontop

One of the best shooting experiences in my life was when a co-worker let me shoot his Ruger #1 in 7x57.

M72 duplicate loads for some long range, iron sight wild boar hunting coming soon. Of course using HPBT hunting bullets instead of FMJ.

Waiting to get some Nosler ballitic tips in .308 180gr to perch on top of 55gr of H4831 in .30-'06. Also, need to shoot up some 150gr Hornady sp pushed by 60gr of H450. They were good for inside of 300 yards, but got bucked by the wind too much at longer distances.

Kentos, check out IMR powders to replace Varget.

-Xander

Loaded up 100 6BR with 107gr SMK's and Norma 203-b along with some 223 77gr Noslers with Varget.
Managed to size and prep 50 30-06 brass for my hunting rifle. I have some 180gr Hornady SP's to try out before my Elk hunt in December.
Great weekend shooting and reloading!

Waiting to get some Nosler ballitic tips in .308 180gr to perch on top of 55gr of H4831 in .30-'06. Also, need to shoot up some 150gr Hornady sp pushed by 60gr of H450. They were good for inside of 300 yards, but got bucked by the wind too much at longer distances.

Kentos, check out IMR powders to replace Varget.

-Xander

I've never had major wind drift issues with 165...180g 30-06 so as long as I'm driving the bullets fast. And I've also found 4831 to be too slow for the '06 and it seems to always want to perform best at the highest charge levels. IMR 4350, 4064 and 4895 are my faves with the '06. Even though its fast, the 4895 is in all my rifles the best at the heavy end of things. 150 to 165g 4064 has been amazing. I generally prefer fast powders as I shoot Garands a bit.

The Noslers and H4831 is a pet load for a short barrel 700. It has proven itself quite well with much meat in the freezer!The 150gr pills are flying out of my 1917, and it likes heavier bullets for sure, starting with 168gr and up to 200's. I may pull th rest apart and give the bullets to my brother for his .308.-X

.308 load work-up is on the agenda. 210 gr. Matrix bullets (BC of .75!!) Reloader 17 will give it a push, had an initial range day, and pushed to 2650 fps, no pressure signs.

Tonight I loaded a hundred 45 ACP rounds with 200 grain SWC's and Unique powder, just a hair above a starting load.

My next project is going to be testing various powders with 125 grain FMJ roundnose bullets in 9mm.

Last night I cranked out 100 9mm using Berry's Bullets plated 115 grain roundnose bullets. It's basic load development. These were created with a various charges of Unique.

This year for bird season I tried something different. I have always enjoyed using old and vintage items. I picked up some full brass 16 gauge shells at a local junk dealer for two dollars a box. (the going cost of brass) I then bought some fiber wads and a bag of reclaimed shot at the skeet club and began rolling my own. I am hunting upland with an old Stevens model 311, (a cheap fox) and so far 20 mountain quail, 3 blue grouse and 5 ruffed grouse have not noticed the difference between my retro shells and the new ones. I reload the days empties every night around the fire with a hammer, a nail, a dowel, and a stick of hot glue. This is really fun, and the brass shells "tink" when they hit the ground.

Yesterday at the range, I tested some loads in my .243 using 70 and 75 grain bullets and the new Hornady/Hodgdon "Superformance" powder. I was lucky to get a couple of MOA groups out of it. That Model 70 .243 usually shoots sub MOA w/ just about any other load (though it does seem to prefer heavier (90 grain) bullets). The only other data I can find that will work in any of the rifles I own is data for lighter bullets in 6mm Remington. So, this weekeknd I am going to load up some 6mm Rem rounds w/ the Superformance powder and 70 and 75 grain bullets and see if it can do any better.
cottontop

This year for bird season I tried something different. I have always enjoyed using old and vintage items. I picked up some full brass 16 gauge shells at a local junk dealer for two dollars a box. (the going cost of brass) I then bought some fiber wads and a bag of reclaimed shot at the skeet club and began rolling my own. I am hunting upland with an old Stevens model 311, (a cheap fox) and so far 20 mountain quail, 3 blue grouse and 5 ruffed grouse have not noticed the difference between my retro shells and the new ones. I reload the days empties every night around the fire with a hammer, a nail, a dowel, and a stick of hot glue. This is really fun, and the brass shells "tink" when they hit the ground.

I hear ya. I love doing things like that. I have not used any all brass hulls in my 16 double, but I have loaded some roll crimp loads. BTW, I used the roll crimp die that chucks in a drill from Ballistic Products.
ct

Yesterday at the range, I tested some loads in my .243 using 70 and 75 grain bullets and the new Hornady/Hodgdon "Superformance" powder. I was lucky to get a couple of MOA groups out of it. That Model 70 .243 usually shoots sub MOA w/ just about any other load (though it does seem to prefer heavier (90 grain) bullets). The only other data I can find that will work in any of the rifles I own is data for lighter bullets in 6mm Remington. So, this weekeknd I am going to load up some 6mm Rem rounds w/ the Superformance powder and 70 and 75 grain bullets and see if it can do any better.
cottontop

Always have been curious about the Superformance powder. I was at a hunting rifle shoot today and another shooter loved it in his 270 but hated that it was a pain to clean. I have heard other people comment that it just does not shoot in their rifles. Seems like people either love it or hate it. Hope you can find a load that shoots well with that powder.

I am in the process of loading some Berger 80.5gr in 223. Put a new barrel on one of my match AR's and my standard load is a little warm due to a tad tighter chamber. Plus, never played with the 80.5 Bergers and have 500 on the shelf I figured it was a good time to try. Love Varget as a powder but I sure wish it metered better.

I'm still hooked up to stuffing powder and bullets into a hundred rounds of .41 Long Colt, a project I began several weeks ago but can't seem to find time to finish up.

Last night I decapped, sized and primed 100 9mm, 100 38 special, and about 50 45 ACP. The next couple of nights are going to be spent charging and setting bullets on them.

Top Bottom