What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Sure, a bare brass razor won't rot like a Zamak razor, but they plated brass razors for a reason, I still prefer to have the original plating or replate the razor. A bare brass razor certainly won't last as long as a plated one. All the heavily pitted razors out there prove exactly that.

Most of the pitting I've seen was the result of plating failing unevenly, especially peeling or blistering. Water gets trapped under the plating and causes a problem. A bare razor that is actually used will turn brown but not pit. Why are you arguing the plating point, I was offering brass as another alternative of razor material that is a better choice that Zamak?

Sure, a bare brass razor won't rot like a Zamak razor, but they plated brass razors for a reason, I still prefer to have the original plating or replate the razor. A bare brass razor certainly won't last as long as a plated one. All the heavily pitted razors out there prove exactly that.

Most of the pitting I've seen was the result of plating failing unevenly, especially peeling or blistering. Water gets trapped under the plating and causes a problem. A bare razor that is actually used will turn brown but not pit. Why are you arguing the plating point, I was offering brass as another alternative of razor material that is a better choice than Zamak?

And, no response.

Most of the pitting I've seen was the result of plating failing unevenly, especially peeling or blistering. Water gets trapped under the plating and causes a problem. A bare razor that is actually used will turn brown but not pit. Why are you arguing the plating point, I was offering brass as another alternative of razor material that is a better choice that Zamak?

And, no response.

Sorry, didn't realize this was so urgent.

You said brass is good plated or not, and I certainly agree that bare brass is still better than Zamak. All I was saying is that the plating is not merely cosmetic ... it does serve a purpose, and a very important one.

Plating not only enhances the appearance of a razor, but serves an important purpose of protecting and maintaining the metal from which the razor is constructed.

So, yes ... I prefer plated brass. :thumbup1:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
It was a good weekend. Bought these from a local lady.

Before
proxy.php

And After
proxy.php

They all had bent safety bars. I'm working on straightening those. The black beauty is really nice except it's bent bars and minor silo pitting. The superspeed is a y3. It will probably go in the pif stash as well as the flare tip. They are in good to fair as far as the plating.

The Fatboy is in good user grade condition. It has something I haven't experienced yet, a dropped knob. I'm going to dive into that soon. I've been reading up and can't decide between using the wire and clamp method or the pipe cutter trick. It's my first, in the wild Fatboy find.

The Gem G bar was a really cool pick up. I haven't been too curious about SE, but this piques my interest. It's in awesome shape. I'm not sure when it came out. It looks 60's to me with the cast handle and all.

Anyway, I'm done rambling, just wanted to share.

Cordially,
Adam

It was a good weekend. Bought these from a local lady.

Before
proxy.php

And After
proxy.php

They all had bent safety bars. I'm working on straightening those. The black beauty is really nice except it's bent bars and minor silo pitting. The superspeed is a y3. It will probably go in the pif stash as well as the flare tip. They are in good to fair as far as the plating.

The Fatboy is in good user grade condition. It has something I haven't experienced yet, a dropped knob. I'm going to dive into that soon. I've been reading up and can't decide between using the wire and clamp method or the pipe cutter trick. It's my first, in the wild Fatboy find.

The Gem G bar was a really cool pick up. I haven't been too curious about SE, but this piques my interest. It's in awesome shape. I'm not sure when it came out. It looks 60's to me with the cast handle and all.

Anyway, I'm done rambling, just wanted to share.

Cordially,
Adam
Great score. Congrats.

$EJ DE89 pic FINAL.jpg

My very first DE razor, I received in the mail today. The Edwin Jagger DE 89. Yes, I've been shaving with a twin blade all this time. lol

Shave yet? :w00t:

Yes, I shaved right away. I usually shave every other day, but I was too excited to wait until tomorrow. My first run, and the shave was comfortable, with no irritation. Was a little awkward trying to keep my angle right, but I'll be getting plenty of practice. I was afraid of cutting myself all this time, but the shave was easier than I imagined. I used some Derby blades that came with the razor, but I'll be trying a sample pack soon.

Yes, I shaved right away. I usually shave every other day, but I was too excited to wait until tomorrow. My first run, and the shave was comfortable, with no irritation. Was a little awkward trying to keep my angle right, but I'll be getting plenty of practice. I was afraid of cutting myself all this time, but the shave was easier than I imagined. I used some Derby blades that came with the razor, but I'll be trying a sample pack soon.

Very cool, keep us posted! :thumbup:

:thumbup:
$EdwinJaggerDE89+Feather.jpg
With some other blades down the line...

Found this today. It has an H serial number and an L serial number. I read about what that somewhere but have forgotten.

$20160725_184000.jpg

$20160725_184426.jpg

This head also came with it for some reason :blink:. Does anyone know anything about a Neillite Four Hundred? The bars are different.

$20160725_184135.jpg

$20160725_184233.jpg

Top Bottom