What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I bought the New SC locally and gave it a good cleaning.

$IMG_5604.jpg

The following is one of the seller's pictures of the Fatboy.

$FB.jpg

I'll up load pics of the other three later. Thanks

Big week on the bay: '61 Fatboy $58; '69 Black Beauty $48. Both in clean, user-ready condition. Black Beauty is even shiny!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 181
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 183
I just picked up this black tip. It's a great shaver. Especially for my head.

Can someone tell me if the dark spots on the handle are plate loss, or is it something I can clean off? I soaked it in Scrubbing Bubbles, then hot water, and scrubbed with a toothbrush. I'm hesitant to use a brass brush. If not for these 2 spots, I'd say it's near perfect.

$uploadfromtaptalk1425354752704.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1425354752704.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1425354752704.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1425354752704.jpg

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1425354782621.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1425354782621.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 147
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1425354798302.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1425354798302.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 147
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1425354856694.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1425354856694.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 149

Can someone tell me if the dark spots on the handle are plate loss, or is it something I can clean off? I soaked it in Scrubbing Bubbles, then hot water, and scrubbed with a toothbrush. I'm hesitant to use a brass brush. If not for these 2 spots, I'd say it's near perfect.

Probably not plate loss. The dark spots are probably a stain. Try a hot mixture of 3 parts lemon juice and 1 part hydrogen peroxide. It should eat whatever is on the nickel. It will probably brighten the nickel too, so be prepared to scrub the whole thing!

Probably not plate loss. The dark spots are probably a stain. Try a hot mixture of 3 parts lemon juice and 1 part hydrogen peroxide. It should eat whatever is on the nickel. It will probably brighten the nickel too, so be prepared to scrub the whole thing!
Should I let it soak in this? How long should I let it be exposed to this mixture?

Tell me about it. It's a surprisingly awesome shaver. I may have to go on the hunt for other Super Speeds!

I Love all the SS models. They are pretty easy to find, and, easy to give away. :thumbup1:

View attachment 553975View attachment 553975View attachment 553975View attachment 553975

Use some Flitz or MAAS metal polish on a toothbrush on those spots if that doesn't clean them up then just ignore them. They are hardly noticeable anyway.'
Nice Razor by the way!

I didn't notice you say whether you had the steel or aluminum handle Black Tip SS. If aluminum, then careful what you use.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Black_Tip_Super_Speed

-jim
Good point, but I'm pretty sure I have the steel one. Besides it not feeling like aluminum, it has a spacer/washer between the knob and the shaft, that, according to these pics, is only on the steel handle. Also, I just looked at your link and mine is a W-2, so it's apparently steel.

(By the way, I have no idea why so many copies of the same pic were posted in my original post. Tapatalk must've done that.)

That's a nice Black Tip SS! You need a matching set now, Blue and Red for the win!

As for the black spots, I hope you're able to clean them out, if you do, please post as I have a few handles with similar issues and it ended up beeing plate loss. If you can get your hands on a magnifier/scope, you should be able to tell.

One more question, then I'll stop hijacking the thread: Not sure why, but on amazon, most of the MAAS variations have a "French Lavender" label on them. Does this matter? Is that a scent or something?

One more question, then I'll stop hijacking the thread: Not sure why, but on amazon, most of the MAAS variations have a "French Lavender" label on them. Does this matter? Is that a scent or something?

That's the stuff. As stated before I use a little blob on a soft wet toothbrush to work the knurling on the nickel plated razors. I then run it under warm water and scrub it off with the same toothbrush. Works great.

Top Bottom