What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Lol. ..like I said left field.

Btw ... I think the razors that have the same knurling on handle and knob are very early production in 1921. A New Improved from 1921 was posted now in a thread about NEWs, and the knob has the different knurling. It must be late 1921 though.

Last edited:
I picked up my first 40's style superspeed off the bay for cheap and it just happens to be my birth year and quarter.
Here are the before photos.
$20141113_152626.jpg$20141113_152607%u00255B1%5D.jpg
Here are the after photos
$P1050595.JPG$P1050596.JPG

Attachments

• $P1050593.JPG
    $P1050593.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 109
Nice score on the birth quarter Rod.
Thanks. It still has some stains or it might be corrosion. It was 2 half hour soaks and heavy duty scrubbing with peek and toothpaste did not remove it from the bottom of the base plate . I will put it to work tomorrow. I was going to use the Knack, but it will have to wait.

Zed, do you have any other photos?

The handle is very clearly from a Bar NEW. The base plate looks like it is from an Old Type, and that has got me worried. Does the cap belong to the handle or the base plate? If the cap is also from a NEW, then you won't be able to use the base plate.

New to B&B but not new to DE shaving - just bought my first vintage DE razor recently.

Judging by info I found here, as well as at mr-razor.com, it appears I have myself an English thin handled Tech from the 1940's. As for the case, I'm sure it belongs to something else, but I was just interested in the razor for regular use :)

Haha, can't stop buying razors, can you?

I know that feeling BTW.

Haha I really want to try as many NEW's as I can. The head and base plate I plan on using are from a goodwill, so all I really want to get my hands on now is a English NEW.
proxy.php

On the 1st of this month I bought three razors as a part of treewhaling before the monthly restraint started. First one landed today. I bought this one just for the handle -

$20141114_145935.jpg

$20141114_150017.jpg

It's a no-brand razor from ebay. As expected the head has blade alignment issues, but the handle is beautiful with good workmanship. :thumbup:

IMHO, go for the Slim first, grow a 3 day stubble, use a sharp blade, start the first cheek pass on #4, adjust from there! YMMV!

RAD on hold? Satisfied after two more razors? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless you hide under a rock, with no cell or internet communication with the rest of the world (= no access to B&B), good luck with the "satisfied" part of the RAD!

Oh and nice pick up, you will enjoy them all, like 3 flavors of ice cream boxes in a fridge, waiting for you to try them!
I actually ended up using the black tip first, a couple of days ago, just because I couldn't resist. Didn't find it vastly different from my Tech, but I'm still happy to have it.

Now.. The slim. Today was the day. I had already planned on giving my face a couple days off, just like you suggested, so today I tried it with a a little over 48 hours growth. Had it on 4 with a fresh Astra SP, and a healthy dose of Zi Peppino.

It was actually kind of a rough shave, honestly. There was a fair amount of dragging. The thing is though, I haven't had a great shave in over a week. This is my first winter with a DE razor, and the cold dry weather has really been doing a number on my skin. I think it may also have been that I used a brush I'm not entirely familiar with yet (my first badger, actually, generously PIFed to me by a fellow member) . Also, there was a bit of burning before the razor even touched my face, which is also kind of odd, as Zi Peppino never does that for me. So again, I chalk it up to my skin being in less than optimal condition right now.

I'm not discouraged though! I'll give it a couple days, and I'll try it on 3 maybe, see how that goes. I think today's shave might have been pooched before it even began, unfortunately :/

Oh, and despite how it felt during the shave, I did get nice and close! So, not a total failure!

Did you know about the last quarter turn on the Slim TTO knob? That is what secures the blade well in the head. If that last quarter turn is not tightened, it can give a very rough shave.

Did you know about the last quarter turn on the Slim TTO knob? That is what secures the blade well in the head. If that last quarter turn is not tightened, it can give a very rough shave.
I've heard about this quarter turn, but on mine, it's just one smooth motion until the end, and then it just gets a little tighter. I don't know if I'm supposed to feel a "notch" or anything when the last quarter kicks in or anything, but I've got it tightened as far as it will go. Doesn't seem to be any wiggle or anything, and I'd fear breaking it if I tightened it any further.

Yeah, that's the quarter turn. It doesn't click or anything. You just close the doors and once they're closed you'll feel the turning getting tighter for a quarter of a turn till it stops.

Yeah, that's the quarter turn. It doesn't click or anything. You just close the doors and once they're closed you'll feel the turning getting tighter for a quarter of a turn till it stops.
I just went back and double checked to make sure I wasn't crazy. Twisted the knob, doors closed, no more wiggling, and the knob got a little tighter, like it did before. But then, I decided to see how much further I could go, and sure enough, there was the quarter turn :lol: actually, I'd day it felt more like a third of a turn, but yeah. Now it DEFINITELY won't turn any more.

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom