What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I don't know why but I just pulled the trigger on this. With shipping it cost me 50 bucks. The inside of the case is done, but the razor looks to be OK. Though the seller's pic are pretty crappie. Maybe I can buy some felt and try my hand at case restoration.

I need help. I'm easy over budget this month. Maybe I should set myself a limit.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1415802466745.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1415802466745.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 110
We demand proof.......:tongue_sm

in the form of pics

I stand corrected: Fifty. Plus two straights, a Rolls, 3 injectors, and 3 SE's. (And one remarkably patient but slightly annoyed SWMBO, not pictured [emoji12])

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415803407.208369.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415803456.363225.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415803586.502057.jpg

Left to right, back to front:

In rack (row 1):
  • 1906 Old Type in Silver
    New with common bar handle
    Pre-war Fat Tech
    1941 Ranger Tech
    1940's Super Speed
    C2 Flair Tip
    Gold Contract Tech
    K1 Flair Tip
    M2 Slim
    M4 Black handle Flair Tip
    F1 Fatboy
    V2 Long Handled Black Beauty

Row 2:

• Rolls Razor Imperial "No. 1"
    Pre-war FHT in silver (replated)
    Pre-war FHT in nickel
    Canadian FHT in nickel
    Post-war FHT in gold
    Post-war FHT in gold (2)
    C3 Ball-end Tech in nickel
    NDC Ball-end Tech in gold
    Y4 Ball-end Tech in gold
    L4 Slim
    1935 Cooper MonoBilt in box
    SE OCMM
    SE Ever-Ready
    SE OCMM
    Schick Injector G8 with ridged handle
    Schick Injector E2 with butterscotch handle
    Schick Injector E2 with butterscotch handle (2)

Row 3:

• Friedr. Baurmann & Sohne 9/16 round point Comfort 3000 straight razor with cream scales - shave ready
    1949 Super Speed in nickel with Case, NDC.but with notch.
    1940s Super Speed NDC
    1954 Super Speed Z4
    W2 Arisocrat
    1946-47 Aristocrat
    1946-47 Aristocrat
    Schick Krona ~1966-68
    Schick Krona ~1964-65
    Schick Krona ~1968-1969
    1960~ Soluna Czechoslovakian Open-Comb razor with knurled handle.
    1950's Grafco Merkur open comb
    1950's Adams Merkur open comb
    Micro Touch One (by Weishi)
    Weishi 9306
    Nanjie TTO in case
    Nanjie TTO in case (2)

Row 4:

• Wellington 11/16 square point straight razor with red scales - shave ready
    Red Tip B2 in case
    1946-47 Aristocrat in case with blade box
    G1 Fatboy in case
    1947 Milord in case
    Head for Gillette New Improved
    Head for Maggard Razor
    Merkur 34C
    Utopia Handle with Lord L6 head
    Maggard MR6B Limited Edition
    RiMei 3-piece
    RiMei 3-piece

Row 5 (front):

• Long Comb NEW in case (believe the case to be for a Big Boy De Luxe)
    Long Comb NEW Oxford in case with blade box
    1941 Ranger Tech in case (accidentally switched cases with the Milord case in this photo)

Last edited:
I don't know why but I just pulled the trigger on this. With shipping it cost me 50 bucks. The inside of the case is done, but the razor looks to be OK. Though the seller's pic are pretty crappie. Maybe I can buy some felt and try my hand at case restoration.

I need help. I'm easy over budget this month. Maybe I should set myself a limit.
I was on that for a bit. I really want a Pocket edition, but I am over budget as well. Nice pickup.

You know the tan tip thing is a myth, right? That came about from a misinterpretation of some text in an old book, referring to the tan case some of the flair tips came in, I believe.

I know. I thought I would provide a nice joke. Strangely enough I found it like this in an antique shop and the paint did look very old. I assume it must have been in a house with a couple men/boys and one painted his to distinguish it from the others. A little nail polish remover and the razor is now back to its beautiful original plating.

Have you shaved with all of them? Do you have a favorite, or set of favorites?

Most of them. My favorite vintage razors so far are:
The '41 Ranger Tech,
The Grafco Merkur vintage open comb,
The '46/47 Aristocrats,
The '67 Black Handle Flare Tip,
The silver pre-war Fat Handle Tech, and
The Red Tip.

For modern razors, I like both the Merkur 34C (I'm using it for "No-Variation NoVember") and the Maggard MR6B.

I also occasionally use a Krona if I'm in a hurry or if I cut myself previously and need a really mild shave.

My least favorites - in general - are the adjustables. I feel like the Fatboy and Slim are both a bit overrated. I like the long-handled Black Beauty a bit more. But I know many people love their adjustables.

I'm probably going to clear out my den soon and pare it down to the ones I really love.

Oh yeah, and I can't stand SE's for some reason. Not injectors or the OCMM. I like the *look* of the Ever-Ready but can't seem to get a good shave with an SE.

Recently traded for these with fellow B&Bers, they all arrived today!

Super Adjustable - U1
Black Tip Super Speed - W2
Slim - H2

All 3 of these are firsts for me, I'm having anxiety trying to decide which to use first! Never used an adjustable of any sort, so I want to make sure I give each one enough time before I move on to the next one. So many things to consider! Blade life, adjustment number.... AHHHHHHHH!

RAD has taken hold, but I think once I have a Fatboy and a Flare Tip, it will be satiated (yeah, famous last words, right?)

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1415843674167.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1415843674167.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 145
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1415843925293.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1415843925293.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 147
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1415843942664.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1415843942664.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 147
Christmas Present for my wife. Thought about a Lady Gillette but kept seeing popups in threads about many women preferring a Schick Krona over the Lady Gillette. Hopefully my wife will like it. She just started shaving with one of my razors and asked for one with a longer handle for Christmas.

$Schick.jpg

Recently traded for these with fellow B&Bers, they all arrived today!

I'm having anxiety trying to decide which to use first!

RAD has taken hold, but I think once I have a Fatboy and a Flare Tip, it will be satiated (yeah, famous last words, right?)

IMHO, go for the Slim first, grow a 3 day stubble, use a sharp blade, start the first cheek pass on #4, adjust from there! YMMV!

RAD on hold? Satisfied after two more razors? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless you hide under a rock, with no cell or internet communication with the rest of the world (= no access to B&B), good luck with the "satisfied" part of the RAD!

Oh and nice pick up, you will enjoy them all, like 3 flavors of ice cream boxes in a fridge, waiting for you to try them!

Btw ...without even knowing the serial # I can tell you it's an early New Improved from 1921, because the knob has the same knurling pattern as the handle, unlike Achim's examples above.

Very cool!
Didn't the same knurling on handle and knob differentiate it as a Bostonian or aristocrat. ..I thought I read that on a post somewhere. ..could be totally off in left field but this post just stirred something in the back of my memory.

Hello all, I just wanted to show one of my most recent acquisitions. It's an NOS display rack with five GEM Micromatics, all NOS and in pristine condition. I'm really happy with this display set. I was always looking at those NOS Super Speed racks with envy, so when this rack of GEMs showed itself, I scooped it up as soon as I could. Here's some photos-
View attachment 516503
View attachment 516505
View attachment 516506
Thanks for your interest!
Very cool in deed. ..was this a wild find or online? That's always interesting to me. Makes me even more jealous when it's found in the wild.

Didn't the same knurling on handle and knob differentiate it as a Bostonian or aristocrat. ..I thought I read that on a post somewhere. ..could be totally off in left field but this post just stirred something in the back of my memory.

No, I don't think so. If you notice, Achim's Bostonian and Aristocrat have the exact same knurling, New Standard, Richwood ... all the same.

AFAIK, the same knurling on handle and knob razors were all 1921 examples.

Top Bottom