What's new

Slim Wallet Recommendation? Bellroy?

Not a problem my friend. I love doing things for others. I got your PM and thank you for your kind words. We knew it was coming my aunt drank etc. But she was a good woman. I am sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I miss my grandmother too. But you know live it up! Life is too short. My aunt was only 64. So enjoy life:)

This thread made me realize how much I hate big wallets and that includes my current wallet. Just ordered a ID wallet from saddleback. I rarely carry cash so the size should be perfect. Thanks you guys!

The brass is very smooth with only small edges at the corners. I put it brass side down in my front pocket. Haven't found that to be a problem at all. If anything, I find the rivets on jeans will mark up the leather.

You can use their contact form to make a request. You have the option of the smaller logo and no logo as well, not sure about a custom logo though. Dave Mitchell would be able to answer your questions. Very responsive with emails.

I have a question, with the Mitchell wallet, will the brass part that holds the money, will it rub in your pocket against your thigh or tear your trousers?

Can Mitchell custom make a logo on a wallet? Or not have their logo on a wallet? I have the 28.00 Perry Ellis wallet from stein Mart but would like a better wallet. I also have one that is $50.00 but never use it.any recommendations appreciated. I have a saddleback small ID wallet and it is too small for my needs.

Jerry

I can't really gauge how thick it is with say 4 cards and 6 bills. Does it print pretty badly in your pocket? That's a really nice wallet. Debating between that and the Gustin for 20 bucks. I don't typically carry cash daily. If I'm not carrying cash, that metal part won't really get in the way right?

I don't know what "print badly in your wallet" means...sorry. It's very thin...I've got 8 cards and usually don't keep money in it but when I do it does not feel "there". I'm pretty OCD about wallet thickness. Although, I would not call this wallet minimalist.

The brass is very smooth with only small edges at the corners. I put it brass side down in my front pocket. Haven't found that to be a problem at all. If anything, I find the rivets on jeans will mark up the leather.

You can use their contact form to make a request. You have the option of the smaller logo and no logo as well, not sure about a custom logo though. Dave Mitchell would be able to answer your questions. Very responsive with emails.

I agree with linty...never had a problem with money clip spar. I don't even think about the position in my pocket. It has never rubbed or caught...whether in jeans, jacket pocket, wool pants, etc.

I have a question, with the Mitchell wallet, will the brass part that holds the money, will it rub in your pocket against your thigh or tear your trousers?

Can Mitchell custom make a logo on a wallet? Or not have their logo on a wallet? I have the 28.00 Perry Ellis wallet from stein Mart but would like a better wallet. I also have one that is $50.00 but never use it.any recommendations appreciated. I have a saddleback small ID wallet and it is too small for my needs.

Jerry

Yes, you can get any wallet with/or without their logo. I don't believe you can custom make a logo...

I got a Secrid wallet a few weeks ago: http://www.secrid.nl/en/slimwallet.html

It's interesting and certainly different in the way it handles your cards without having to open the wallet. But it is awkward when it comes to handling cash and even for a self-admitted gadget dork, it's a little over the top popping out the cards. I think I would like it more if it was cheaper and if the card ejector mechanism was quiet.

I had been using a card wallet from Aspinal of London and an M-Clip money clip for years, but am always hoping to find a front pocket all-in-one solution. I have a Saddleback ID Wallet (http://www.saddlebackleather.com/pocketidwallet) on the way. Until this comes out, I think you always have to compromise in one way or another.

Brett at AOM introduced me to Bison (www.bisonmade.com). I am a huge fan now.

$aom-holiday-guide-2013-c.jpg

@tictoc

Which bison wallet should I get? I carry a drivers license, CHL License, Masonic Dues card, Drug card, two credit cards, a Sam's club card, Kroger card

Also what would you recommend for carrying two kinds of business cards? I am a realtor and photographer.

Brett is a great guy I sought his advice on law school. Good man he would be a great mason

I received my BigSkinny Leather hybrid wallet today. First I will preface by saying, I think no matter how great the wallet is, there is a limit of how thin it can be f you (like me) carry way too much stuff in their wallet.

First impressions, thin sleek wallet, appears to have solid stitching. The inner lining has a very plasticy/petroleum smell to it, I hope goes away after a while. Even tho it is Top grain cowhide hybrid, you get NO leather smell, so if you are looking for that, dont get this one.

As for storage, I like the way this organizes like a traditional bifold, better then the (no returned) Bellroy. the Bellroy left some space toward the outer edge making the wallet have a "credit card hump" if you know what I mean, seems a waste of space (for the Bellroy). Now can I say this is any better than the TJMaxx purchased $15 Pierre Cardin and Timberland Wallets I have had most recently? Only time will tell. Those wallets have gottemn me a few years before seams tore, but space wise they are about the same, so if BigSkinny has longevity, and breaks in well, it will be a worthwhile purchase.

Style-wise, nothing to write home about, pretty straigtforward, simple embossed logo, nothing I would be embarrassed to pull out at a formal event, but nothing to flash around either.

Overall it is a keeper as a replacement for the TJMaxx leftovers I usually buy every few years. I still miss my Rawlings baseball glove leather bifold that was stolen a few years ago...that was nicely broken in and was bound to last a looong time.

Maybe its time to invest in the saddleback...and just stop carrying every damn card I own!

Now, off to continue my search for just the right "european carryall" ;-)

I went through two fossil money clip wallets before they stopped making the ones that I liked and have since then settled on a non leather kickstarter project I backed. http://humnwallet.com/shop/humn-mini/black/matte-black/ I love this thing, I hold 4 cards + license on the inside, cash under the band, and one card on the outside. It's made of aluminum and RFID blocking so you don't get skimmed. The card I carry on the outside is moviepass so it doesn't get loaded until I actually check in to a movie so no worries there.

$Wallet.jpg

I just don't like giving up practicality of a regular wallet when shopping for a compact one. So things like the one above which require special handling for bills (and probably become really hard to use if you have, say 20-30 bills, which is not uncommon for me) plus 10-12 cards which I absolutely need. I've looked at tons of alternatives, but for me it's the bigskinny for now (and has been for the last 5+ years).

FWIW, I think I read somewhere that the category with the most projects on kickstarter was wallets. I can't seem to find that article, though.

Last edited:
My opinion is, and please nobody take offense to this...

When I have to unfold a wad of bills that have been crammed into a tiny card-wallet, I feel like a child.

In my opinion, a grown man with a job carries money in a wallet that is slim, but accommodates bills without them having to be folded.

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion is, and please nobody take offense to this...

When I have to unfold a wad of bills that have been crammed into a tiny card-wallet, I feel like a child.

In my opinion, a grown man with a job carries money in a wallet that is slim, but accommodates bills without them having to be folded.

I don't know about the child part, but it's absolutely less efficient. You're trading the hassle of folding bills for a smaller everyday carry. And obviously there are some people that don't need to carry cash. I personally don't like to be fumbling with cash or cards at the register when there is a line behind me. So I don't like anything that takes careful folding of cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the traditional bi-fold wallet in order minimize thickness (compared to a tri-fold) and more importantly to be able to pull bills out more discretely. I don't think it is polite or safe to flash cash in public. Even if you only have $4 in your pocket.

Tri-fold.
Anything smaller than a $20 goes in the Allen Edmonds magnetic money clip.
I carry my city ID, DL, ATM, one credit, and Sam's & Costco cards.

Top Bottom