What's new

Slim Wallet Recommendation? Bellroy?

Well I received my Bellroy yesterday, and have to say, it does not perform as advertised...with only 6 cards and about 10 bills the wallet is just as thick (and awkwardly so) as my $20 pierre cardin i got at TJ Maxx that I am trying to upgrade. So for the money, I do not find this will meet my needs and will ship back. My try ther more traditional shaped "hide and sleek" but will look more closely at the others you all have mentioned here.

I agree with the thickness statement. My slim sleeve is thicker than I had hoped it would be due to the interior lining and its being made using a single piece of folded leather. A well made piece, but I consider it more of a compact wallet rather than a slim, minimalist one. If you have not already done so you may want to look at the videos posted by Steve Montelli on Youtube. He has reviewed a number of small wallets.

I wrote about slim wallets here:
http://anoopsplace.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-thin-wallet.html

Have you looked at http://bigskinny.net?

Either this:
http://www.bigskinny.net/multi-pocket.html (the one I have, but I only use one of the pockets on either side).
or this:
http://www.bigskinny.net/sport-wallet-chocolate-brown.html (a bit too compact...edges of currency will tend to want to stick out).
big skinny seems like it is the next to try, the price point is right, and they have a "leather hybrid" option which is likely the way I will go...

do yu have any experience with the "super skinny bifold?"

big skinny seems like it is the next to try, the price point is right, and they have a "leather hybrid" option which is likely the way I will go...

do yu have any experience with the "super skinny bifold?"

I don't and from the looks of it, it would be too big to work as a front-pocket wallet. I kind of like the traditional design of the multipocket bifold.

Big Skinny leather hybrid multi-pocket bifold on its way

even with shipping and tax I could order two more styles than the bellroy for that price, looking forward to trying this one out.

http://www.bigskinny.net/leather-hybrid-multi-pocket.html

It is a very functional wallet so at least with respect to that you probably won't be disappointed. However, even though I have not seen the bellroy in person, I very much doubt it will match the fit and finish. However, as a wallet, as long as it doesn't look shabby (which the Big Skinny does not), functionality trumps looks. Would be interested in your thoughts when you get it.

It is a very functional wallet so at least with respect to that you probably won't be disappointed. However, even though I have not seen the bellroy in person, I very much doubt it will match the fit and finish. However, as a wallet, as long as it doesn't look shabby (which the Big Skinny does not), functionality trumps looks. Would be interested in your thoughts when you get it.
i wasnt overly impressed with the bellroy for the price...i will let you know once i get the big skinny, and I agree function over looks for sure...i am just glad they have a leather version, I am sure the nylon is fine, but pull out a nylon wallet from my suit....i just dot know...

i wasnt overly impressed with the bellroy for the price...i will let you know once i get the big skinny, and I agree function over looks for sure...i am just glad they have a leather version, I am sure the nylon is fine, but pull out a nylon wallet from my suit....i just dot know...

Their "original" version (which they no longer sell) was much better...the material looked similar to those used in Prada handbags. The current version looks more like cloth. Doesn't look classy but doesn't look bad either. I was one of the people complaining about lack of a leather version when I bought the original, but now that I'm used to fabric it doesn't bother me.

There seems to be a bit more to Bellroy (e.g. use of "ethical" leather and possibly their manufacturing methods, etc.) which contribute to the high price. You would probably find a better quality wallet for the price if those issues were not important.

Bit late to this thread but I bought a classic leather All-Ett a few months ago and while it took some getting used to (previously carried a trifold), I think it works well. No card slippage. I have 2 plastic cards in each slot and a few thinner paper ones (like car insurance that comes on regular paper).

It's taller than standard men's wallets so if you have shallow back pockets it might peek out over the edge. And you need nimble fingers to insert dollar bills because there's no extra space at the ends. There are actually two currency pockets - a shallow one that I use and a deeper one that's usually empty but receipts can be stuffed in there.

you cannot go wrong with Mitchell's! I've got one in American Cowhide (forest green)...it's the most supple and awesome wallet I've ever owned. Built in money clip as well. very slim and handmade to order!!!

http://www.mitchell-leather.com/Other_Products.php

I can't really gauge how thick it is with say 4 cards and 6 bills. Does it print pretty badly in your pocket? That's a really nice wallet. Debating between that and the Gustin for 20 bucks. I don't typically carry cash daily. If I'm not carrying cash, that metal part won't really get in the way right?

I have a question, with the Mitchell wallet, will the brass part that holds the money, will it rub in your pocket against your thigh or tear your trousers?

Can Mitchell custom make a logo on a wallet? Or not have their logo on a wallet? I have the 28.00 Perry Ellis wallet from stein Mart but would like a better wallet. I also have one that is $50.00 but never use it.any recommendations appreciated. I have a saddleback small ID wallet and it is too small for my needs.

Jerry

I have a question, with the Mitchell wallet, will the brass part that holds the money, will it rub in your pocket against your thigh or tear your trousers?

Can Mitchell custom make a logo on a wallet? Or not have their logo on a wallet? I have the 28.00 Perry Ellis wallet from stein Mart but would like a better wallet. I also have one that is $50.00 but never use it.any recommendations appreciated. I have a saddleback small ID wallet and it is too small for my needs.

Jerry

Would you be interested in selling that saddleback? I need a wallet lol!

@illbell

I will do you one better, I will send it to you. Just PM me your name and address. I will not be home until Dec. 4th as I am out of state because a family member passed away. Where are you from?

No way that is awesome! PM incoming. I'm sorry to hear about your family member, my grandmother passed a couple of weeks ago. It's never a fun thing. Thanks so much, that's extremely generous of you :)

Top Bottom