What's new

How to use up the last of a shave stick

For some months now I have been working on a vintage Erasmic stick, and lately it was getting close to the rim of its holder cap. It was time to do something with the stub. Some gents might have grated it into a bowl, but I wanted to keep using it as a stick. Why not see if the old Colgate instructions really worked?

Here is the stub of the Erasmic stick, and a Valobra stick that I had already used several times. I already knew that Valobra was the perfect size for the Erasmic holder. Arko could also have worked. If the stub were narrower, like Speick or Palmolive or Wilkinson, I might have grafted it onto a similar gauge stick.

The stub was easy to twist out of the stick, but see step #2 in the Colgate instructions for another way to do it. With the stub out of the holder, I used a knife to score the top of the Erasmic and the top of the Valobra. This would work even better with flat surfaces like the ends, but I wanted to keep the foil on both sticks.

Finally wet both surfaces, and press together firmly. The foil was nice to have for this step.

I happened to leave the two soaps alone for a week before getting back to it, but that may not be necessary. The end product looks a bit ungainly, and reminds me of an Easter Island statue. Again, using two flat surfaces would probably work better. Nevertheless this experiment held up to a week of shaves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I can confirm that doing that works as I did in the past with a Speick stick on a Derby Stick. I waited less than 24hrs and it was stuck until Speick completely disappeared.

I noted this elsewhere, but I love that the face lathering instructions at the bottom of the 90-year-old advertisement are, for me and to date, the best way I've found to shave.

This is just an excuse to show off your vintage stick. We see right through you, man.

Not nearly as much as this post. Vintage Williams and Colgate will both be in heavy rotation after I finish off the Erasmic stub.

Gents, the parade drew up just in time to meet Lenny. At the fore was the Grand Marshal, who has just joined us himself: the Honorable Mr. Pears. He comes from a noble family, now sadly discontinued, and is probably one of the oldest shave sticks still living. Following him were a group of younger sticks - but a stick can be quite old and still be younger than Mr. Pears.

Lenny and Mr. Pears look like something of an odd couple, but they have much in common. They both enjoy a joke and a lather. What more could one ask for?

The parade continued with the vintage squad, including the current Officer of the Day, Erasmic. A sly wink from one of the Colgate Handy Grips told me that it actually contained a stick of Gibbs, but the Colgate family have always liked to mix in society. Next came a selection of stickified pucks: Savon du Midi, MWF, PSGT, and IK. Another half a dozen or so were in the audience, cheering them on.

Then came the Arko and Palmolive reserves - also loudly cheered on by their comrades on the sidelines.

A few modern sticks brought up the rear. More of these wanted to join in, but every parade needs an audience.

After the parade was over, the sticks broke up into convivial groups. Lenny told stories of his travels, charming everyone. The vintage Erasmic was so taken that he surrendered his OD berth to the newcomer. As of tomorrow, Lenny will take over.

Luc

Staff member
I know how to use a mirror too! :laugh:

Like the Pears cardbord cylinder, probably even more so than the tin ones. :thumbup1: What's the old Ersamic one made of? Does it seem to be Bakelite?

Luc

Staff member
I think you should write more about those vintage sticks Mike! They look fantastic!

Like the Pears cardbord cylinder, probably even more so than the tin ones. :thumbup1: What's the old Ersamic one made of? Does it seem to be Bakelite?

Yes, bakelite or catalin or something like that. There is no mention of a royal warrant, which might help date it if I knew how. That red Williams holder is also catalin, tentatively ca. 1967. That Holder Top design works very well for some modern sticks, too. I have Arko in one.

The Pears stick is from another era entirely. That example might be ca. 1908-18 but the design seems to go back to 1849. I like the cylinder too. Unfortunately the soap does not shave particularly well: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/348448-When-was-this-Pears-stick-made has my impressions and more photos. I wanted it to like it, but... maybe I should try it again.

I think you should write more about those vintage sticks Mike! They look fantastic!

I am not sure if I have much more to say. I posted more about the Erasmic at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...intage-Shave-Stick-Ads)?p=3864950#post3864950 and the catalin Williams holders at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...intage-Shave-Stick-Ads)?p=3757148#post3757148

Did you notice that one of my Handy Grips is from Montreal? I may be over-proud of luring that one away from its homeland. Are they common in Quebec?

Luc

Staff member
Yes, bakelite or catalin or something like that. There is no mention of a royal warrant, which might help date it if I knew how. That red Williams holder is also catalin, tentatively ca. 1967. That Holder Top design works very well for some modern sticks, too. I have Arko in one.

The Pears stick is from another era entirely. That example might be ca. 1908-18 but the design seems to go back to 1849. I like the cylinder too. Unfortunately the soap does not shave particularly well: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/348448-When-was-this-Pears-stick-made has my impressions and more photos. I wanted it to like it, but... maybe I should try it again.

I am not sure if I have much more to say. I posted more about the Erasmic at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...intage-Shave-Stick-Ads)?p=3864950#post3864950 and the catalin Williams holders at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...intage-Shave-Stick-Ads)?p=3757148#post3757148

Did you notice that one of my Handy Grips is from Montreal? I may be over-proud of luring that one away from its homeland. Are they common in Quebec?

I don't think so, the one you got is the only one I saw. I know where the Gillette Building is in the city. The building was renovated to have a few condos in it. I wouldn't have any idea where the Handy grips would be made. I might need to do a research on it...

I don't think so, the one you got is the only one I saw. I know where the Gillette Building is in the city. The building was renovated to have a few condos in it. I wouldn't have any idea where the Handy grips would be made. I might need to do a research on it...

Check the wiki page for Colgate-Palmolive. I just added a couple of addresses.

Luc

Staff member
Check the wiki page for Colgate-Palmolive. I just added a couple of addresses.

Yup, I know the place, I worked around there. I think it's a custom building today. It looks like that building was done in 2 phases as the top bit looks more recent. I will try to have a look and see what I can find.

Annual bump.

My Williams stick was wearing down to the base, and getting tricky to use. So I grafted the last 10-12 grams onto another one, using the Colgate procedure from the beginning of this thread.

But this time I ran into a problem: the grafted stick was too tall for the sleeve. Twelve shaves later, the threads finally catch. But I think it will take another couple of shaves before I can close it completely, and by then the stub will be almost gone.

This is no big deal at home, but it would be inconvenient while traveling or if you want to change up your soap. Best to set the stub aside, I think, and put 15-20 shaves onto the new stick before trying to attach the stub. I will try that the next time I have a stub to graft: my oldest Colgate stick is probably next.

Top Bottom