What's new

Your Collection's Directions or Your Collecting Goal

I've become interested in modern flex nibs. This is very bad news. They're so expensive, though, I can't see myself collecting many (more than one even), so that's good.

Mottishaw Spencerian modded Falcon:

-Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy....that was fantastic. I'd like to try to write with something like that pen. The line variation that can be achieved is really cool. Thanks for sharing it!

you guys cause me to spend money *sighs*

Last edited:
Andy....that was fantastic. I'd like to try to write with something like that pen. The line variation that can be achieved is really cool. Thanks for sharing it!

you guys cause me to spend money *sighs*

I watched that video months ago and have wanted that pen ever since, that is also why I want to work on my trailer parts to my letters, its so key to write like that, and you can see it clearly in that video

one day

I know that adding those trailers is important, and I have the hardest time doing it because it's a push stroke for me. I try to do it, but I keep stabbing the paper with my Hiro nib. Practice, practice, practice, lol

I pretty much just buy whatever strikes my fancy. There's no rhyme or reason to the pens I own in terms of a "collection." I do have more vintage than modern at this point, but that's because I can get much better deals on vintage pens. Why pay $100+ for a modern pen that doesn't write as well as a $50 (or less) vintage pen?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I just started, so I don't think I'm in a collection mode yet. Started with a Lamy Al Star, really like my vintage Sheaffer Balance Vac fill, got a lever fill on the way. Just trying out some of the popular options. Like razors and pipes, I'm digging the whole Retro/Vintage aspect.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My collection is very user oriented, specifically focussed on excellent low cost modern pens. I haven't spent over £40 on any one individual pen, and no more than £20 on a modern pen. The main aspects I look at are convenience of filling, comfort and ergonomics, and reliability, plus simplicity of maintenance.

I recently did a cull of stuff that wasn't for me, mainly due to ergonomics, then had a glut of further purchases, most of which I am very happy with.

The pen drawer is now full (the right hand side being pencils, traditional and mechanical, and replacement leads), but further culling of the least favourites may happen later.

20211002_121026.jpg

There are currently nine fountain pens, seven of which I really like, plus another one which I might come to like with further adjustment. There are also twelve ballpoints, four of which are more sentimental rather than being chosen for ergonomics, plus one rollerball.

This is way more pens than I need, but I like to have at least two options in each of the sub-categories - compact pocket pens, blue spectrum cartridge, filled from bottle, space pen cartridges, etc. As such, I'll probably never drop below six points in pens and six ballpoint, plus anything that's sentimental.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
What typically happens to me for new things (just like DE razors) is that I'll buy a bunch to build up a collection, choose what I want to keep, and then sell or donate the rest. In the DE world I managed to get up to 15 razors before settling on two, and I know what my next razor purchase or two is. From there I want to try out a couple of DE razors, but I'm good where I'm at otherwise.
I lean the same way. I end up with favorites and tend to ignore the rest 98% of the time.

The Pelikans are definitely my favorites, but I rarely use the M205 or M800. The M600 just fits my hand like it was made for me. I have a lovely older, smaller 600, but it's mostly the modern ones that get used. The ruby red with the Pendleton butterline stub italic is the easy favorite.

I have a variety of pens & pencils, modern & vintage and use them all. My focus for expensive pens is Italian or German, numbered, limited editions sets with a FP and BP or Pencil, occasionally a RB - all with the same number. The lowest number I have is 13 on a Montblanc Dumas set FP, BP & Pencil.

My wife likes the Namiki Maki-e wildlife pens.

Old thread revival! Looking at what I wrote here in 2013, I was not too far off for what I would be doing over the next eight years. Although my acquisitions have since slowed to a trickle, I did buy many more vintage (or at least no longer made) pens than new ones.

No real focus or theme, though, just what interests me, which means a fair amount of variety.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Old thread revival! Looking at what I wrote here in 2013, I was not too far off for what I would be doing over the next eight years. Although my acquisitions have since slowed to a trickle, I did buy many more vintage (or at least no longer made) pens than new ones.
Same thoughts when I saw my post from eight years ago ... pretty much unchanged thoughts. I'm still searching for those few oddballs and meanwhile happily using my favorite Pelikans and older lever-filled American pens as I wait patiently. Prices seem to have risen significantly over the last decade!

Lamy Al-Stars (6) in the ever expanding "Ltd Edition" colorways and their corresponding inks.

Parker 45 Flighters (3)(all stainless steel)

What my collection/direction is not:

Plastic bodied/resin bodied pens in general (unless it was a gift i.e. Conklin American)

Pens made in the PRC

Pens over 50ish USD

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Lamy Al-Stars (6) in the ever expanding "Ltd Edition" colorways and their corresponding inks.

Parker 45 Flighters (3)(all stainless steel)

What my collection/direction is not:

Plastic bodied/resin bodied pens in general (unless it was a gift i.e. Conklin American)

Pens made in the PRC

Pens over 50ish USD

Yes, I tend to focus on metal bodied pens too. I omitted that from my post, for some reason. Although I do have one demonstrator that I like. I also have a fairly even split between pens filled from a bottle, and pens i use standard international cartridges with.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
This is a fun thread to resurrect. I don't think I've ever thought about my pen collection having a direction or goal. I guess the closest thing is I enjoy pursuing different writing experiences. I like nibs with character. Hard, soft, smooth, feedbacky, flexy, stubby - I like it all. I like the tactile feel of how different nibs on paper. I like well balanced, lightweight bodies. No boat anchors here. I have a couple metal pens, but don't mind resin if its high quality and well made. I tend to favor black, gray, or green pens. Hmmm, must be an Army thing. But I don't really collect different colors or special editions or anything like that. My collection is pretty boring by most hobbyists' standards, I imagine. But I enjoy it.

Top Bottom