What's new

Glock 27 vs. M&P 40c. What do you think?

I love a Glock but man, M&P on this one trigger mods are easily done to make it dang near however you want. Let not that be the issue.

Took the MP40C to the range today. Tons of fun but I had three or four mags (Out of 16 full mags) lock the slide back with the last round still in the mag. Going to clean the mags and see if they are just dirty or something.

Not the grip... Been shooting centerfire handguns for a while. Grip hasn't changed since the Navy taught me how twelve years ago haha.

Absolutely no offense meant but things have changed rapidly in the past few years and the military was never cutting edge on instruction and still isn't. Are you using hight thumbs and an Isosceles stance?

I'm sugar footing a little bit on the stance, left in front of the right slightly, knees bent slightly, leaning into the target. right hand gripping the firearm, left hand supporting, thumbs are together and parallel.

I'm trying to think if I only had problems with the bulk pack Winchester or if the American Eagle had an issue too.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Been carrying a Glock as a duty weapon for 16 years. I own the G19 9mm, G23 .40, G30 .45, and a G32 barrel to drop in my G23 when I want to shoot .357 Sig. Glocks are awesome, plain & simple. Saying this, I just shot an M&P .40 for the first time a few weeks ago. Loved how the 1911 angle of the grips brings the sights inline naturally when raising the gun. While I didn't shoot it enough to even try and figure out it's trigger mechanics, I did shoot it very well indeed. I kept all 15 rounds from the very first magazine I shot, in the small blue man silhouette that is in the top left hand corner of a NRA B27 blue man silhouette target at 20 yards.

While I won't give up my Glocks, the S&W M&P's accuracy impressed me very much. I am now looking to purchase the M&P Shield in 9mm to replace my Ruger LCP as my back up and as a off duty pocket gun.

I'm sugar footing a little bit on the stance, left in front of the right slightly, knees bent slightly, leaning into the target. right hand gripping the firearm, left hand supporting, thumbs are together and parallel.

I'm trying to think if I only had problems with the bulk pack Winchester or if the American Eagle had an issue too.

Stance and technique sound pretty good, Chef. I'd hose out the pistol with non chlorinated brake cleaner and relube. Don't think it's the mags. Also, trying a different brand of ammo will help in the troubleshooting process but honestly, it should run that ammo.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Of the two, I prefer Glock. Honestly though, try to spend some trigger time with both. Most modern handguns are accurate and reliable - it boils down to what feels best in your hands and what you shoot best. I've got a soft spot for Sig handguns. They're not the most expensive, they're certainly not the best looking (although that's a matter of personal preference) but I shoot them as accurately as my custom 1911's that are considerably more expensive. The plastic fantastics are superb defense and duty weapons... but if you're looking for a tack driver that can also serve for the aforementioned - Glock and S&W semi-autos just don't make the cut for me (I have Glocks and an M&P by the way).

My .02 - with firearms, buy once and buy right.

I only own one SIG a P229 in .40. That gun is bullet proof. I have never ever had a mechanical issue with it. It is a bit big to conceal unless wearing winter clothes. The biggest reason I bought the Glock 26 when 9mm shopping instead of a SIG was the gun just fit great in my hand. I can get a very comfortable 3 finger grip on the 26 and bring it smoothly into a shooting position. The sub compact Sigs just did not do it for me.

The funny thing is the Gen 4 Glock is not near as nice in my hand as the Gen 3, I am glad they still had some Gen 3 left when I bought it.

Personally, I would choose the M&P but only because the little finger grooves on the Glock's grips don't fit my hands, and they're ugly :p

The M&Pc in 40 cannot be matched. glock 27, like all the other compacts don't come close to handling the 40 cal round as well as the M&Pc. And the trigger is fine.

I carry a gen4 G19 and my wife carries an M&P 9C. I have shot both extensively, 1k rounds through each at least and definitely prefer the glock, but both are fine weapons. Both are stock, no mods. Both shoot good groups, but the glock is definitely more accurate, tighter grouping. I also do not care for that jointed spongey M&P trigger. The glock is also ultra-reliable and carries 15 rounds vs. 12 for practically the same form factor. I also like the interchangeable grips on the gen4. YMMV and like all firearms, trying renting at the range before you buy and put some rounds through one before deciding.

time for a little curve ball, i dont like either handgun. my preference is the 1911 platform. but the big thing was i was exposed to the 1911 first and the longest, its the most familiar and most natural for me. my friend on the other hand, a corrections officer, loves the glock, it was his first and only exposure to a handgun. best thing is to try both, preferable side by side. but at the end of the day, it is a personal choice. good luck

Ruger! :) My SR9c has run FLAWLESS with factory ammo, and a factory clone reload. I personally shoot the Ruger platform better, probably because the trigger is better than both M&P's I've shot and all 4 Glock's I've shot.

But between M&P and Glock... M&P hands down. I don't get along with Glock at all. Personal preference!

Try it a different way. In front of you is a table which has all brands, all brand new. You have a couple seconds to chose one to defend yourself and family. You know that you have one chance, and it better go bang.
Ask yourself, which one has the reputation that you would stake your and your families life on.
For me, there is only one answer.... Glock

BTW, i have a g27, and also aftermarket 40 and 9mm barrels. The aftermarket are for shooting lead in practice, the factory barrel is for carry.

Top Bottom