What's new

Bought a defective handle brush on ebay. but it had a funny label.

So I bough this brush on Ebay so that I could find out what all the fuss was with manchurian hair ( Yes I will review it later) .

$DSCF3349.jpg

So I was excited to see it , so I ripped open the box , looked at the brush and ....lo and behold New York Shaving Company

$DSCF3350.jpg

I've been to this place and got a barber shave there, not much to say about that. It's kind of funny since I am a New Yorker. Anyone had similar experiences?

Review please! I'm curious too. As a fellow Yorka (originally anyway) I like the branding.

I wondered about all the "defective handle" brushes that have been appearing on Ebay lately. Other than the label is it really defective?

Me thinks that the defects might be the kind that happen to goods when they fall off trucks...

Or perhaps a short run from a potential overseas supplier that didn't pan out.

Apparently you can have something you can call a "badger shaving brush" made for you for well under US$1

"There are 1746 badger shaving brush from at least 38 suppliers on Alibaba.com"

(Not at all to disparage the OP's acquisition -- more to indicate that there are a wide range of suppliers out there.)

Last edited:
Well I don't want to review if yet, but I will say the first time it felt worse than a paint brush. The second time... was very nice..... I shaved yesterday but I will post up a lather pic and give a better break down of it. This is the first time a brush hasn't shed a hair after two shaves ( But then again I only have an Omega brush and a Whipped dog to compare it to). I'm actually quite happy with it. I wonder how it will compare with the Group Buy M&F brush :001_rolle

So now that my interview is done , and I have moved here is the the review.

Defective handle 20mm Manchurian Hair brush ( NEW YORK SHAVING COMPANY ) from China.

Price :9.99 with 6.99 shipping

Quality : Knot has not shed a hair after 7 shaves and I haven't seen any cheap glue stains or anything of the like.

Density: It's probably my densest knot to date but I've only had an omega and a WD silvertip. I would say its the same as the silvertip. Not to dense but good .

Stiffness of tips: Not as stiff as my Omega brush, but I do get very soft tips at the top.I think this is the gel feeling. My silvertip is softer but this just glides nicely.

Latherability : The first time was rough, even after washing it and then using shampoo. The second time it lathered much faster. Not as fast as my silvertip but definitely faster than the boar. The water stay on top and just runs out past the white tips. I'm not a fan of heavy foam on my face. I like the razor to just glide instead of chopping.

Quirks: I wish it was bigger

Overall: For the price, I would get another one in a heart beat, but I am happy with this one. This will probably be my travel brush since it's small, cheap, and great quality. If there is any torture test you want me to put it through, post it here!!

With some lather ( I could get better but the ADP sample that I squashed into a bowl isn't the greatest. If I used Mdc...different story)
$IMG_20130525_080307.jpg
Post shave:
$IMG_20130525_081119.jpg

Looks like a pretty typical chinese-made and eBay distributed 2 band brush... a'la frank shaving etc. Since from what I've seen, FS has jacked their prices up recently, may be a nice alternative to those if you know what you're getting. Not gonna touch labeling it "manchurian" with a ten foot pole.

I have been wondering about the Manchurian name for a while, so I thought I wanted a two band brush Manchurian to see what the big deal was. From what I've read there's not clear idea of what Manchurian is

These threads have not been clear either http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ifference-between-manchurian-amp-2-band-knots
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/286528-What-exactly-is-Manchurian-Badger

For $10 bucks, not much to lose. ( I'm in the group buy also so I'll see what that performance on a high end two band is going to be :drool:) and I have a TGN knot w/ rudy vey handle in the states waiting for me. I'd like to see how they all turn out and see how much performance I can squeeze out of it. and I wanted to pick something off the BST, but something about using a used brush others me....

Anyway.. so many choices and only one face this is my first chinese made brush.Looking forward to the other brushes in store !

Last edited:
OK, just pulled the trigger on this one. For the price I had to check it out.

:thumbup1: Good job! I might be following in your foot steps. I just get a little bit of a funny feeling when I read the words "defective" in anything that I'm buying.

Please let me know the specs of yours and how it pans out.

Top Bottom