What's new

Bought a defective handle brush on ebay. but it had a funny label.

:thumbup1: Good job! I might be following in your foot steps. I just get a little bit of a funny feeling when I read the words "defective" in anything that I'm buying.

Please let me know the specs of yours and how it pans out.

Will do. It is a 20mm knot set at 48. Sounds like a good traveler to me. My Kent synth is supposed to be my travel brush, and while I have come to like it enough, I figure it can't hurt to try something else. The Tweezerman didn't do it for me (strike 1) the Kent might be the one, but maybe 2rd time is the charm. Besides, I have to have more things in the PIF box if it is going to be worthwhile.

Got mine today. Looks pretty good, actually and has "Confucius" and three Chinese symbols printed on the handle. While the handle is nothing fancy, it seems well made and is pretty comfortable. There is a very tiny imperfection in the handle. It really does nothing to detract from the brush, IMO. Here is what it looked like right from the box (with bonus styptic pencil).

$defective 1.jpg

The brush arrived odorless with a little care sheet stating it was sterilized and not to boil it (among other things). I gave it one quick wash and then did a quick hand lather with Provence Sante. It exploded with lather considering the short loading time I gave it. Not one hair was lost in the process. While I haven't used it on my face, yet (tomorrow morning) the tips seem pretty soft. Here's what it looks like, still wet, after that one wash and hand lather.

$defective 2.jpg $defective 3.jpg

I know it's too early to know for sure, but I have a feeling this will give the Kent Synth a run for its money as my travel brush. I'll report back after I use it.

Please excuse the poor quality photos. I have an old cell phone camera and about zero photography skills.

Not bad. I don't see how you can go wrong with these little things! No hair loss right?

So far, not one hair. I think every new brush I have washed lost at least a hair or two. I don't really have any shedders, but it's normal for a loose hair or 5 to come out early. I guess we'll see how it holds up.

I have bought and test brushes with label "defective" from ebay
Even a small scratch,a non perfect logo or pure shinning can make the brush "defective".

I have bought and test brushes with label "defective" from ebay
Even a small scratch,a non perfect logo or pure shinning can make the brush "defective".

Mine has a very very small scratch and the logo isn't perfect. I consider that a 2nd quality handle. But at this price, who cares really? It's only a cosmetic defect with the handle and hardly noticeable. But I'd feel different if i was paying real money for it.

Used it this morning for the first time. I am very impressed. Soft with backbone. Not quite as nice as my Frank Shaving Finest, but with the same basic qualities.

I face-lathered RR Zi Peppino in the shower. I guess using a harder soap will be a better test, but I don't anticipate any problems based on how it lathered the Sante last night.

Definite recommend. I can't see why this shouldn't be high on the list of suggestions for those looking for their first brush or traveler.

I face-lathered RR Zi Peppino in the shower. I guess using a harder soap will be a better test, but I don't anticipate any problems based on how it lathered the Sante last night.

My shaving friend please to some tests with some favourite soaps (Not creams) of your closet and write back again
I am very interesting because i am doing the same and i want to see if our conclusions are matching.

Looks like a pretty typical chinese-made and eBay distributed 2 band brush... a'la frank shaving etc. Since from what I've seen, FS has jacked their prices up recently, may be a nice alternative to those if you know what you're getting. Not gonna touch labeling it "manchurian" with a ten foot pole.

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about "Manchurian" badgers. Once its tied into a shaving knot, there's no way to tell if it came from Manchuria or New Jersey. :wink2:

Ronnie

I actually recently bought a knot from this eBay seller. I wanted to use it in a restore, so I just asked if they could provide the knot and forego the defective handle. I was shocked at how accomodating they were in getting me a knot I wanted. I gave them glue plug, knot bulge, and loft dimensions I wanted, all of which were not traditional measurements - and everything measured up perfectly. The knot I received was VERY dense, perhaps not the densest knot I've used, but denser than my TGN finest. Lastly, the white-black color contrast on the two band was incredibly sharp. On the critical side of things, the tips aren't quite as soft as my TGN finest, but there is plenty of backbone, and for under $10, I'm very pleased.

My shaving friend please to some tests with some favourite soaps (Not creams) of your closet and write back again
I am very interesting because i am doing the same and i want to see if our conclusions are matching.

Today I used it on hard soap (VDH Deluxe). No problem. I had to load it a bit longer than I do with my usual brush (FS Finest Badger) but it performed very nicely. Then after the first pass, I tosses a little cream (KMF) and and a few drops of glycerin into the breach of the brush, and it whipped up a terrific uberlather.

I continue to be pleased, and still a bit shocked. at how good this brush works given what it cost.

Just got my defective "manchurian" brush from ebay today. I don't see any defects whatsoever in the handle and no labels. I do see a tiny bit of glue reside around the base of the knot which is easily scratched off. The tips are very soft and has a ton of backbone. The real test is to see whether it sheds much. $ebay_brush.jpg

I also got my brush from the same seller that The Dean posted. I did a shampoo rinse, 4 test lathers with different soaps, and used it to face lather once so far. It lost two hairs during the first two test lathers but not a single hair since. The tips were almost as soft as my silvertip with plenty of backbone and a nice bloom. The one drawback would be that the handle is very light and cheap-feeling, but for around $10, I can't really complain. It is looking to be a solid buy!

I bought 2 brushes from same ebay seller and I am sorry to say, I have had nothing but problems so far. I also have since noticed there is a lot of illegal shill bidding between shencheng1954 and heisheng1983. Everything I report can be confirmed by going to both vendors sales history. Buy at your own peril.

I bought 2 brushes from same ebay seller and I am sorry to say, I have had nothing but problems so far. I also have since noticed there is a lot of illegal shill bidding between shencheng1954 and heisheng1983. Everything I report can be confirmed by going to both vendors sales history. Buy at your own peril.

I have heard a few complaints, but more positive experiences. I wonder why the discrepancy?---just poor QC on these low end brushes, I imagine. But I never bid, so I don't notice any of that. I only use the BIN option.

What brushes did you buy?

+1 Couldn't agree more. But hey, can't expect much from China-made products.

Last edited:
Top Bottom