What's new

Olympic set? Looking for confirmation

Mail man came! Not with everything I'm looking for but I was definitely happy to get this one. I've seen the thread with the pioneer Olympic set NOS, which was gorgeous btw, and this one looks spot on the wi the G & D to boot. I was just looking to see if there are any tale tale signs for a Olympic set. I don't know if this set was hardly used or what, but this thing shined up nice and is one of the cleaner ones I now own.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 154
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 153
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 151
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 152
elmerwood, nice score!! This is indeed a olympic set. I posted mine in this thread about olympic special sets. As you can see, other sets in this thread do not have the word "L Auto" on top of the case. But mine has the word "L Auto" and at the time when I acquired this set, I thought it was perhaps an "aftermarket" alteration but a second similar set that you've got makes me think that Gillette may have inscribed these words in the factory! Yours has all the markings similar to other sets & mine,i.e., the "G in D" logo, the diamond gillette trademark and the beige colored case (beautiful by itself). Beautiful set and enjoy:thumbup1:

Anyone have an idea of the "l'Auto" as well.

I did some research and it seems that the words "L'Auto" actually has a meaning and an interesting history. L'Auto was was a prominent French sports newspaper that was started in 1900 by Henry Desgrange (an avid cyclist himself). In order to increase circulation, the owners of the L'Auto newspaper created and sponsored the world's most famous cycling tour, Tour de' France. The newspaper was taken over by Germans during WWII and was shut down at the end of the war, only to be re-christened and re-born as "L'Equipe", which continues publication till this date as a newspaper dedicated to sports.

$lauto1.jpg

$lauto2.jpg

As you can see, the calligraphy of the title in the paper matches closely with the gilt on top of the razor case. It is only fitting that a prominent French sports newspaper would have it's own branded razor sets manufactured by Gillette as part of Gillette's special lot for the 1924 Olympics that was hosted by France! And they could have been distributed by the newspaper to staff and business partners as a gift.

It appears that elmerwood, your & my olympic sets are a limited edition of an already limited edition set:001_cool:

Nice work Dhillip!

I'd suggested looking for car events around that time but I think you have cracked it :thumbup:

Thanks mate!

Does this tempt you enough to open up your still sealed Olympic special set and see if it has the same "L'Auto" wording?:wink2:

Anyone have an idea of the "l'Auto" as well.
Gillette specialized in advertising, it was their bread and butter way of selling razors, even as Gillette changed presidents and administration through the years the new management still concentrated on all various and ingenious ways of advertising. This set is L Auto set is most likely from the result of a advertising arrangement from L Auto and Gillette sells executive Pelham . Many companies signed up for special advertising from Gillette including Ivory soap, United cigar, Palmolive, Colgate, The Cavalcade of sports, and many hardware stores and local businesses. Most of these businesses were given a discounted price from Gillette and many of these sets were also given away free with the purchase of the product. This type of advertising guaranteed to keep the Gillette name in the public eye.

Last edited:
I did some research and it seems that the words "L'Auto" actually has a meaning and an interesting history. L'Auto was was a prominent French sports newspaper that was started in 1900 by Henry Desgrange (an avid cyclist himself). In order to increase circulation, the owners of the L'Auto newspaper created and sponsored the world's most famous cycling tour, Tour de' France. The newspaper was taken over by Germans during WWII and was shut down at the end of the war, only to be re-christened and re-born as "L'Equipe", which continues publication till this date as a newspaper dedicated to sports.

View attachment 329024

View attachment 329025

As you can see, the calligraphy of the title in the paper matches closely with the gilt on top of the razor case. It is only fitting that a prominent French sports newspaper would have it's own branded razor sets manufactured by Gillette as part of Gillette's special lot for the 1924 Olympics that was hosted by France! And they could have been distributed by the newspaper to staff and business partners as a gift.

It appears that elmerwood, your & my olympic sets are a limited edition of an already limited edition set:001_cool:
This is really some great research, outstanding:wink2:

WOW, nice job Sherlock. Thats awesome that you were able to dig up some info on these sets. Now I'm gonna poke around a bit and see if I cant find something.

Thanks mate!

Does this tempt you enough to open up your still sealed Olympic special set and see if it has the same "L'Auto" wording?:wink2:

Survey says???

Thanks mate!

NOPE :)

It was purchased at the same time and I think from the same seller as the one in the other thread - so I'm taking that as the basis for what I have. :)

very nice set justin. u REALLY need to invest in another display case lol. stuff is gonna start stacking up, double rings just falling on the floor :a47:

Top Bottom