What's new

How to load an empty (L-type) injector without sacrificing a blade?

I just cleaned my Injector. I slid a wooden pin of the right size and shape in the keyway and gently slid the blade out and gave it a good soak and toothbrush treatment.

Now I want to reload it, preferably with the blade that was in there but the part where the blade should go is way too tight, also when I use the injector key. I do not want to use any force when pushing something tiny and sharp. Sure, I can load a blade from the injector but it will very likely rub the blade stops and will need to load another one.

Somehow the ease of use of an Injector compared to a DE or Gem totally escapes me.

Any suggestions?

Ok,I managed to do it with the wooden pin inserted. I reduced the clamping force by gently pulling the safety bar when pushing the blade through.

Writing the frustration off me did seem to work.

However, I still do not have the impression that these razors are designed for maintenance. There is a lot more potential for injury than with a 3 piece DE.

If only it wasn't such a nice shaver...

Or you can take a pair of needle nose pliers and your blade magazine and push the remaining blades down so as to reload a used blade in the magazine. Then insert the key as usual to load the used blade in the razor. Then just cycle one more time to load a new blade.

Or you can take a pair of needle nose pliers and your blade magazine and push the remaining blades down so as to reload a used blade in the magazine. Then insert the key as usual to load the used blade in the razor. Then just cycle one more time to load a new blade.

+1

That's what I do. I keep empty dispensers and used blades around to do exactly this. An empty one, with a used blade re-inserted, because I just don't like the thought of some nasty old blade coming into direct contact with my new blade.

Me three.

Ok,I managed to do it with the wooden pin inserted. I reduced the clamping force by gently pulling the safety bar when pushing the blade through.

Writing the frustration off me did seem to work.

However, I still do not have the impression that these razors are designed for maintenance. There is a lot more potential for injury than with a 3 piece DE.

If only it wasn't such a nice shaver...

[SI4][SIZ]Hi, JDTTO[/SIE]

You said it without realizing it. The Schick Injector is not intended for "maintenance," meaning there is nothing to do to maintain it. What you are doing is nice, but unnecessary and pointless.[/SZE]

All you need to do is to occasionally give it a light scrub with the blade in, with a old toothbrush and some warm soapy water after having it soak for a few minutes. Just clean all the outside areas of the razor that you can see; the "inside" where the blade is will take care of itself. Everytime you inject a new blade there is a cleaning of the blade chamber.[/SE][/SIZEB]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, JDTTO

[SE=3]You said it without realizing it. The Schick Injector is not intended for "maintenance," meaning there is nothing to do to maintain it. What you are doing is nice, but unnecessary and pointless.[/SIE]

[SIZ3]All you need to do is to occasionally give it a light scrub with the blade in, with a old toothbrush and some warm soapy water after having it soak for a few minutes. Just clean all the outside areas of the razor that you can see; the "inside" where the blade is will take care of itself. Everytime you inject a new blade there is a cleaning of the blade chamber.[/SIE][/SIE][/]

I might indeed be overthinking it. Cleaning a razor at every blade change is just a habit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SI4][SIZ]Hi, JDTTO[/SIE]

All you need to do is to occasionally give it a light scrub with the blade in, with a old toothbrush and some warm soapy water after having it soak for a few minutes. Just clean all the outside areas of the razor that you can see; the "inside" where the blade is will take care of itself. Everytime you inject a new blade there is a cleaning of the blade chamber.[/SE][/SIZEB]

I'm not sure of that. I just bought a Type C (sweet injector BTW) that had an old blade in it. I pushed a used blade of mine through when I started cleaning it. Soaked it in some boiling water and had a lot of 'stuff' come out. It took several soaks and 'plunging' with a paper clip to get everything out of there. Maybe the old magazine repeater has more space behind the blade than a 'proper' injector, but I'm definitely doing a boiling water soak of all the injectors I buy

You might want to pick up a Hydro Magic. Designed specifically for easier cleaning.

I had an E1 which could be opened but I parted with it because the shave was too rough for me. Hydro Magics go for more than I am willing to pay but I have too many nice razors, including my Stick Schick, to be too bothered by that.

I just received a pristine G4. I didn't want to waste a blade to load it, but I kept the blank that came with my NOS J4. I tried to use the key on the injector to open up a little space to insert the blank into the razor, but the blank was a little thicker than a normal blade, so it wouldn't spread quite enough. I just used my thumbnail to spread it a little further, then inserted the blank. Then all I needed was to go ahead and use the injector to insert a new blade while running the blank out the other end.

Moral: Don't throw your blanks out. They may be of some use in the future.

Top Bottom