What's new

RAZOROCK GC 0.68-P

@DesertIguana ...I'm not a proponent of 'shimming' a razor, but that is an option for making the GC 68-P more aggressive. IMHO, you might want to get the GC 84-P Baseplate or complete razor. I purchased the GC 68-P, then the GC 84-P and finally the Lupo .95 SB. Each increased the "Aggressiveness" and "Efficiency". Also, 'blade feel' increased, most noticeably with the Lupo .95. But, none of the razors felt scary in any way.

b/r

ON_1
What you may well find is that the aggressive razors give you a close, comfortable shave with less effort, and there seems to be no downside. Then, one day, you experience the inevitable moment of sleepiness, distraction, or carelessness, and the razor suddenly and painfully reminds you that it is aggressive. "I'll never make that dumb mistake again", you think, and you don't, for days, weeks or even months. But inevitably, another such painful and bloody moment arrives. How much that matters is up to you.

After reading this thread, I went ahead and ordered the GC-84P with the UFO handle last night. Looking forward to receiving it. Will post my thoughts after using it. Migrating from a Merkur 34c.

P.S. I went with the UFO handle because I have a BBS with the HD handle somewhere in the house (moved recently and haven’t found my “stored” shaving stuff).

Excellent review!
I am in complete agreement with everything you said.
My Game Changer 68-P is in my Top Two modern razors (I have the barber pole handle) and is one of my go-to's. It's just a stunningly good razor; mild but efficient, very nicely finished, and a razor that will outlast me.
I'm not hugely fond of where the blade pins are located, preferring the more normal setup but it isn't all that difficult to adjust to.
It's one of those razors, along with my Rockwell 6C, that seems to never deliver a bad shave.
I'm glad you discovered it!

I just got my GC 68 with the super Knurl handle (which I LOVE. I also have the HD handle and the small "travel" HD one) the other day and i had my first shave this morning and i must say, this might be my best razor out of my 15ish razors. I am not sure if i had such smooth and pleasant shave before... It is in the same ball park as my Merkur 34c, Muhle R89, Rockwell 6c plate 3/4 and Feather AS-D2. This GC 68 pleasantly surprised me by the quality and smoothness for a Stainless Steel razor for this price. It is as smooth as 34c/R89, yet slightly more efficient i think. The only thing that might be more high tech in my opinion is my Henson AL13 Mild V2 which is a must have in my rotation - love the efficiency on this bad boy, bar none !

Last edited:
I have a 68P baseplate coming my way. Since I like milder razors (Masamune, R89), I am looking forward to trying this one out. I also have a 84P and Lupo 95 SB for heavier growth. But I like comfort when I shave daily.

I just got my GC 68 with the super Knurl handle (which I LOVE. I also have the HD handle and the small "travel" HD one) the other day and i had my first shave this morning and i must say, this might be my best razor out of my 15ish razors. I am not sure if i had such smooth and pleasant shave before... It is in the same ball park as my Merkur 34c, Muhle R89, Rockwell 6c plate 3/4 and Feather AS-D2. This GC 68 pleasantly surprised me by the quality and smoothness for a Stainless Steel razor for this price. It is as smooth as 34c/R89, yet slightly more efficient i think. The only thing that might be more high tech in my opinion is my Henson AL13 Mild V2 which is a must have in my rotation - love the efficiency on this bad boy, bar none !
Also try the slightly more efficient 76P, not by much but in my opinion it works better than the 68P
My2cent 🙌

I've got a 68P on its way to me now, and I'm looking forward to it. I've been going toward more aggressive razors recently, but I'm finding that I need a good mild razor in my inventory. I relied on a 34C for over a decade, but it unfortunately has started corroding on one side of the bar (bad plating job, I think).

I have the .68P, .68OC, .76P, and .84P plates. At first I really liked the .84, but I found it was a bit much to shave with on a regular basis. Shortly after I switched to the .68P, but couldn't get it to work the way I wanted. Eventually I picked up the .76P and it really seems to hit the sweet spot.

That said, I've been using the .68P lately and it really shines with a Feather. I'm going to give the Bic Chrome Platinum in it next to see how it does.

I've been using the 68-P with a Gillete Plat which is extremely mild blade for me. The combo is definitely the mildest thing i've ever used. I am kind of excited to try it with a Nacet or Perma Sharp or even a Feather, im sure it will be slightly more efficient. But all in due time.

I love my GC .84P. The GC .68P is not efficient enough for me - takes too long. I also have a Lupo SS 72 - which is an itsy bitsy more efficient than the GC .84P. - that I also love.

Everyone is different. You need to find which one is the sweet spot for you.

I had my first shave with my .68P this morning, with a fresh new GSB blade.

It's interesting. I find it slightly smoother and easier than my 34C, but also slightly less efficient. Not a huge degree of difference, though.

Less irritation for me than the 34C, and no cuts. I got to CCS with two passes this morning, and I may go for three passes on my next shave. My face has been irritated lately from too many consecutive shaves with aggressive razors, so I'm taking it easy at the moment. I shaved down a lot of growth yesterday with my R41, and today's consecutive shave doesn't seem to have made my face angry.

It was more noticeable when I missed a spot with the .68, whereas my more efficient razors (G37, R41) just mow everything down mercilessly. With this shave, there are spots where I got to BBS and others that clearly needed more work. I'm assuming that my shave needs to be more disciplined to get the best results. I've been doing this for a long time and have pretty good technique, I think, but it's easy to be inconsistent.

It was more noticeable when I missed a spot with the .68, whereas my more efficient razors (G37, R41) just mow everything down mercilessly. With this shave, there are spots where I got to BBS and others that clearly needed more work. I'm assuming that my shave needs to be more disciplined to get the best results. I've been doing this for a long time and have pretty good technique, I think, but it's easy to be inconsistent.

This last part is what I've been noticing about the .68P (and likely for other mild razors for that matter). There are times where I get a great shave with the .68P, and other times where I miss a bunch of spots. Then, of course, there's the one problem spot that always gives me troubles. I've noticed this with some of my more aggressive plates too. That's what makes me think that my issue is technique related.

This last part is what I've been noticing about the .68P (and likely for other mild razors for that matter). There are times where I get a great shave with the .68P, and other times where I miss a bunch of spots. Then, of course, there's the one problem spot that always gives me troubles. I've noticed this with some of my more aggressive plates too. That's what makes me think that my issue is technique related.

Definitely. I respect our forefathers who shaved every day with an ultra-mild Tech and got it done.

The key is probably the repetition of shaving every day and doing a predictable three-pass shave. After a while, it becomes more automatic. I was like that with my 34C for a number of years when I shaved daily. It was the same 34C/Astra SP combo every day and the same routine. It's probably worse for consistency by shaving a few times a week and using different razors and blades.

This suggestion may not apply to anyone else in the known world, but I have found that the small gap razors need to be rinsed more often that large gap razors. Variation in lather thickness can cause variability in the need to rinse. It seems that the build up of soap and stubble can plug the gap making it difficult for the blade to cut. Try it and see if it helps.

Definitely. I respect our forefathers who shaved every day with an ultra-mild Tech and got it done.

The key is probably the repetition of shaving every day and doing a predictable three-pass shave. After a while, it becomes more automatic. I was like that with my 34C for a number of years when I shaved daily. It was the same 34C/Astra SP combo every day and the same routine. It's probably worse for consistency by shaving a few times a week and using different razors and blades.
The 68P definitely benefits from more frequent rinsing to clear the gap. Since I've started rinsing more often, the results are better and more consistent.

This suggestion may not apply to anyone else in the known world, but I have found that the small gap razors need to be rinsed more often that large gap razors. Variation in lather thickness can cause variability in the need to rinse. It seems that the build up of soap and stubble can plug the gap making it difficult for the blade to cut. Try it and see if it helps.

The 68P definitely benefits from more frequent rinsing to clear the gap. Since I've started rinsing more often, the results are better and more consistent.

This is excellent advice. Thanks!

Reactions: Kix

That is a good point. :thumbsup:
I'm a pretty regular rinser anyway but that does make sense, my friend.

That is a good point. :thumbsup:
I'm a pretty regular rinser anyway but that does make sense, my friend.

I've always rinsed on a regular basis. Even with the .84P. Old cartridge habit I guess. I have seen a few Youboob vids where they don't rinse very often, or shave one side of their face before rinsing the razor. I just can't do it...

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom