What's new

PAL injector won't load with new blade

I just bought an early 1960s PAL adjustable injector with original case. The razor and case look nearly new, but I can't replace the old blade in the razor using a modern Schick injector blade key. The key inserts with some effort into the PAL, but I then can't get a new blade to move into the PAL and push out the old blade. The Schick key works fine in my two 1940s Schick G's and my newly acquired Parker injector, but no luck with the PAL. I even tried dialing down the adjustment dial to "1." The key still won't load a new blade. Any suggestions from the Badger & Blade sages would be much appreciated.

I would say to try wiggling it around while you try to inject it, but I’m sure you’ve already tried that. I had a PAL Injectomatic that wouldn’t inject and I shoved a piece of metal in the space on the far side and torked the slot open wider while I tried injecting a blade.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Small screwdriver & open it up a tad .. before you put the key in. Then get more aggressive, not like you are in worse shape than now if it snaps (won't, brass is pliable)

I would say to try wiggling it around while you try to inject it, but I’m sure you’ve already tried that. I had a PAL Injectomatic that wouldn’t inject and I shoved a piece of metal in the space on the far side and torked the slot open wider while I tried injecting a blade.
Thanks for the tip, which I will try.

Small screwdriver & open it up a tad .. before you put the key in. Then get more aggressive, not like you are in worse shape than now if it snaps (won't, brass is pliable)
Thank you. I'll try that. As you say, not much to lose.

Make sure the new blade is being fed in straight behind the old one. The key's sometimes don't line up properly. Don't pry on that Pal too much because it will break.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'm trying the recommended fixes today. I'm also soaking the razor head in very hot water to see if that will loosen any crud.

Sometimes an old blades needs a nudge to get it moving. As mentioned, give it a push with a small screwdriver.
Many thanks for all the suggestions. I finally was able to remove the old blade from the PAL injector and insert a new one. I first soaked the razor is a hot water and Dawn detergent bath. Then, I tried pushing the old blade with smaller and smaller screwdrivers and finally was able to push out the old blade. There was only a partial old blade, so the previous owner must have had a problem also. A new blade easily inserted, so I'm good to go.

Top Bottom