What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89 razor Item of the Week 3/11/13

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hello to all.

This will be the third of a series of "Item of the Week" threads that I am promoting in the General Shave Discussion forum.

The Rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The third featured Item of the Week will be Edwin Jagger DE89L razor. Starting Monday, 3/11/13.

That's fantastic. I just ordered the EJ today and should have it tomorrow. It's my second DE following the Parker 90R which I managed to break thinking it was a 3-pc... newbie foul!

Anyway, I'm totally in and looking forward to reporting.

Great, my first and only 'PROPER' DE razor. Purchased it 2 weeks ago. While I won't be able to compare it to other popular brands for obvious reasons I can offer feedback on its use with various blades (e.g. astra, derby, feathers, etc.) as I'm rotating through a sample pack of blades at the moment.

Wow, apparently I hopped on the "new to DE, gonna buy myself an Edwin Jagger" bandwagon. Mine is in transit currently. Picked up this unit
http://www.fendrihan.com/edwin-jagg...or-barley-handle-p-1305.html?cPath=116_117_58
and a pack of sampler blades. Like Ground Roots, will only have cartridge razors to compare to, but should be able to compare different blades to each other

BTW, the service from Fendrihan has been great thus far. Small transaction, but the communication was awesome(communicated throughout the weekend, didnt expect that). 2 Thumbs up

We;l since I got my DE87 Ivory handle version two years ago it has been my item of the last two years almost exclusively! As I have several other new and old razors including Fat Boys, Slims, Merkurs that must say something!

Gareth

My DE89 was my first razor. I had some trouble with it at first, but since changing to an IKON "Bulldog" handle I like it much better. I prefer my vintage Gillette's better, but I still use my EJ about one week a month. I'll use it next week so I can join in.

Mine is the EJde86. The black handled version. Does this count? Or must it be the 89 and only the 89?

Oops. Sorry hadn't read the thread properly.

Last edited:
Sweet - I'm 2 for 3 so far without buying anything new. The DE89 is my primary razor, so I'll be using it anyway.

I'm afraid this series will be a bad influence when you start choosing things I don't have yet. :)

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I did not realize that there were so many EJ razors that were the same with different handles. If it has the same razor head geometry I don't have a problem with it having a different handle.

I did not realize that there were so many EJ razors that were the same with different handles. If it has the same razor head geometry I don't have a problem with it having a different handle.

You are telling me...

My first razor was the DE89L. I learned to properly shave with it and I inmediately liked it.

RAD never kicked in (SBAD... yes, for sure!) but my second razor was... the same razor but plated. And, then, I HAD to have the Barley...:biggrin1: Now I'm eyeing the plated Barley ball-end...

IMHO it's very "easy" to use, very "forgiving" and very rewarding. With a Feather blade it's my favourite combo. Also, the plating, the finish are superb!

Hearing of the same razor with different handles has me rethinking this question. Anybody got a handle to spare that isn't the smooth chrome one that I have? Just what I need - an excuse to keep the DE89...

Top Bottom