What's new

Your Best Superlather Combinations

I've used Williams and VDH with Proraso and had excellent results. However my best superlather has been with Nivea liquid body wash/shave lotion and Proraso Red. I put a small squirt in my bowl, a generous squeeze of Proraso Red and lather away. The liquid body soap makes the lather super slippery and adds an extra something that's hard to describe. I don't to it all the time, and I honestly don't know why. It doesn't really take any longer. I guess I feel like I'm cheating somehow....

Only time I've done it was with Vintage Yardley and Old Spice cream. The Yardley doesn't have much smell so it was mostly Old Spice.

I'm trying to get through a brick of Provence Sante and if I want a little extra lather I add some KMF that I keep on the counter. Its so easy to add a little pump squirt of cream to boost the lather. Much easier than putting down the brush and opening a tub or tube. Today was my first shave with an R41 so I pumped a little on my fingers and rubbed my face with it before face lathering with a loaded brush full of Provence. Lather was running everywhere but I wanted as much cushion as possible for "The Beast."

I'm trying to get through a brick of Provence Sante and if I want a little extra lather I add some KMF that I keep on the counter. Its so easy to add a little pump squirt of cream to boost the lather. Much easier than putting down the brush and opening a tub or tube. Today was my first shave with an R41 so I pumped a little on my fingers and rubbed my face with it before face lathering with a loaded brush full of Provence. Lather was running everywhere but I wanted as much cushion as possible for "The Beast."

I use that same combo from time to time. Nice. How was the shave with the beast?

It was an eye opener for sure. When it first touched my face and I felt the blade right off and I thought to myself, "Is there a guard on the head?" The first couple of pulls I was regretting the purchase. Then I remembered someone writing that you had to really be careful of the angle of the blade so I placed the head at 90 degrees to my face then gradually lowered the handle until I was cutting whiskers instead of pulling them. I ended up with a nice clean two pass shave. I had a couple of weepers on the chin because its hard to keep that consistent angle on the rounded parts of the chin. I can see this being a weekend razor for me soon. I would imagine a couple of weeks of use and most shavers would have the angle down consistently.

My long time favorite

Load the brush with Williams soap
Snurdle of C.O. Bigelow
6 drops of Glicerin
Dab of Coconut oil

Finish off with your choice of chillin' aftershave.

I like the Vostok recommendation. I think I will get some and try that in place of the Williams.

It was an eye opener for sure. When it first touched my face and I felt the blade right off and I thought to myself, "Is there a guard on the head?" The first couple of pulls I was regretting the purchase. Then I remembered someone writing that you had to really be careful of the angle of the blade so I placed the head at 90 degrees to my face then gradually lowered the handle until I was cutting whiskers instead of pulling them. I ended up with a nice clean two pass shave. I had a couple of weepers on the chin because its hard to keep that consistent angle on the rounded parts of the chin. I can see this being a weekend razor for me soon. I would imagine a couple of weeks of use and most shavers would have the angle down consistently.

Excellent. I will be trying the 2011 version in August, so I am now paying special attention to accounts from 1st time users. I will keep this in mind.

I'm sure this thread is pretty played out. But I believe in posting in existing threads, when possible.

I found a new combo that may be my favorite yet. Typically I don't mix my top level products as they are so good on their own. But today I gave it a shot with some of my favorites,

AOS Sandalwood preshave oil, Cella and Body Shop Macca Root cream. The performance and scent were just fabulous. I used the normal amount of Cella and just a very very small amount of the Macca cream. I face lathered it, but I doubt it matters--it would work great in a bowl.

Shaved with a Feather on shave #5 (with my Merkur 42) and I aggressively (not with pressure, though) buffed (even ATG on a couple of problem areas). Other than a bit of feedback from the alum on those areas, no apparent irritation. Fantastic shave in every sensory experience area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom