What's new

Your Best Superlather Combinations

Gents (and leg shavin' ladies,)

I found one of my favorite super-lather combinations I've ever used last night. Mitchell's Wool Fat loaded into my brush and then whipped up with some Sir Irisch Moos cream in my bowl. It yielded a superlative lather with a fantastic smell (albeit mostly the smell of the quite strong Irisch Moos cream.) If you have both and are a bowl or scuttle latherer, I highly suggest trying it!

Another great combination is VDH Deluxe and Proraso/Bigelow. Whenever I get some more Proraso/Bigelow. Try it! Here's an album I did for a reddit /r/Wicked_edge post a while back, where I make some superlather out of VDH Deluxe (or luxury, can't remember, deluxe i think.) and Bigelow.

I am genuinely interested in trying a combination of Vostok (or Balizarde from The Groom Room, which I beleve is also made for them by QCS and is very similar, if not a little colder!) "hard" cream loaded on the brush and a little dot of Proraso in a bowl. BRR! YES.

So, what are some of your very favorite superlather combinations? Or, Alternatively, try something new and post about it here and let me/us know how it was! :a21:

During warmer months, I really like combining Proraso cream with the soap. It's pretty invigorating and slippitty smooth. The VDH soap is also a pretty good soap base for Superlather and works great combined with a lot of creams.

I've made superlather with VDH Deluxe and the following creams:

* Proraso/Bigelow
* KMF Key Lime
* CF Cedar-Sandalwood

I've also made überlather with the first two combinations by adding 6-8 drops of glycerin.

My usual shave is the VDH/KMF superlather, but I might switch to the VDH/Proraso come summer.

Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap + anything = awesome

Try it with some Penhaligon's cream and prepare to have your mind blown.

I'm working on some Proraso Red and Arko right now that produces an awesome lather. In the summer I'll also combine Bigelow and just about any soap.

I have a puck of Vintage Williams with a hole worn in the center, kept in a mug. The hole is filled with the stub of a Wilkinson Sword Stick. By loading up the brush and bowl lathering, this combination produces some of the creamiest, slickest lather I can remember.

Castle Forbes Cedar/Sandalwood + Salter's Wild Rose = Vampire (aka Evil Rose...it's really awesome)
QCS Mystic Woods + AOS Sandalwood Cream = QCS Mystic Woods that actually lathers easily
Mitchell's Wool Fat + Proraso Green cream = Santa Maria Novella

I have a puck of Vintage Williams with a hole worn in the center, kept in a mug. The hole is filled with the stub of a Wilkinson Sword Stick. By loading up the brush and bowl lathering, this combination produces some of the creamiest, slickest lather I can remember.

That sounds really awesome, have you tried the uberlather method (adding a few drops of glycerine) to this?

For me the best creams for superlather or uberlather are T&H Ultimate Comfort, Palmolive, and Proraso. I mixed these with WMF, Cella, AOS, MdC - or any other soap with great results.

Kind of want to try this. I have proraso soap and TOBS cream. Weird mix? Assuming you soap up first?

I soap up my brush, put a pea-sized dot of cream in my bowl, and then whip up the final lather in the bowl.

Maybe a weird combo, but don't dismiss anything until you've tried it :D

I soap up my brush, put a pea-sized dot of cream in my bowl, and then whip up the final lather in the bowl.

Maybe a weird combo, but don't dismiss anything until you've tried it :D
Cool I've been wanting to try proraso cream as well so maybe ill get that first and try the two proraso's together. For now I have plenty of improvement to make with regular lathering.

Another vote for KMF unscented. One 'dollop' and the lather of anything just explodes. I use it on those days when things just aren't going right lather-wise.

That sounds really awesome, have you tried the uberlather method (adding a few drops of glycerine) to this?
Only time I considered buying a bottle of glycerin was when I was trying to work with a puck of current Williams. Mixing in some KMF fragrance free worked for me instead, turning the Williams into just a base for the lather. The Wilkinson Sword stick added a very mild, but pleasant fragrance to the lather, missing from vintage Williams alone. Lanolin in the Wilkinson is nice too. Considering where the price of vintage Williams is going, I won't be replenishing this combination when it's used up. I've been enjoying a nice run with this superlather lately, but there are others to try and use up as well.

AoS Sandalwood soap&cream, DR Harris Almond & Real Shaving Co. cream are my two go-tos, the first full scent, the second unscented

Top Bottom