What's new

Gentlemanly Restraint Pare Down January 2013

Gentlemanly Restraint Pare Down January 2013

So what is Gentlemanly Restraint Pare Down January 2013?

GRPD-1/2013 for short is like any other Gentlemanly Restraint in the fact you cannot buy any shaving related items during the restraint period. The period is for the month of January 2013. There are exceptions however. You can purchase B&B branded items, limited editions, any charity event item, B&B group buys, and ONE exception item of your choice.

What makes this unique is the Pare Down. At the end of the month you choose one item from your shave den and PIF it here at B&B (it could be to someone you know locally too, never thought about that). There are no PIF police or anything, it's an honor system. If you want to PIF more than one item, that's great too.

If this goes well, GRPD may become a monthly thing.

What can be PIFed?

Any shave related item from your den. Think of this as a good way to pare down your den to items you use the most. It's nicer to PIF an item than keep it in your drawer and never use it! Also, even small items can greatly help someone just getting into wet shaving. If needed though, a PIF item could be a purchased, there are no hard rules as to what can be in your PIF. Remember, it's your PIF and this is just a way to have fun with the community and help others.

How do I get in the GRPD-1/2013?

Simply post that you would like to be in. You don't have to decide what to PIF till the end, heck for that matter, you don't even have to post what you will be PIFing, but I think it would be fun if you did!

Thanks for playing!

Edit:Deadline for entry is December 31.

My exception is a handle for my Gillette long comb NEW razor.

Last edited:
Post reserved for list of entrants:

Username - exception item

1. boogieman_ - handle for Gillette LC NEW
  2. Toothpick - None
  3. konijntjesbroek - ?
  4. smokeydave - ?
  5. Sir Lurkalot
  6. ...

Deadline December 31, 2012
You can change your exception item anytime before the deadline.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
now this i can do. Count me in with no exceptions. I have enough for at least a month.
I'm also not sure what to PIF yet, I may keep it a secret once I decide.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i think most people are either "all in or nothing at all". rather show how strong they are by going a whole year. i am not that strong, nor do i have no where near enough stuff.

or just dont want to PIF anything.

i think most people are either "all in or nothing at all". rather show how strong they are by going a whole year. i am not that strong, nor do i have no where near enough stuff.

That's sort of where I am. I know I can't do a year. I probably have enough stuff but I just cant go a year without buying. I guess I'm not that strong for a year. I know for a fact I will need to get some straight razor stuff if I get the Christmas present I asked for. I thought a month would be a good time amount. It shows restraint but isn't as sadistic as a whole year without new shave stuff! :biggrin1: Plus, I think it's fun to simplify or go minimalistic, but it's darn hard when shave stuff is so fun/relaxing/AD-prone.

With Sir Lurkalot we are up to 5 strong!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I know for a fact I will need to get some straight razor stuff
same here but contingent to being hired at the many many jobs i've applied for. That's my secret to sticking to this for Jan. NO MONEY! but i've been unemployed since November yet i've managed to purchase blades (BST awesome deal) and VDH shaving soap cause I developed a deep love for it. so i guess this give me a chance to really stick to not buying anything!!! I have a straight that is dying to be stropped so i can use it again so that will be my first purchase in Feb. (hopefully)

as for the PIF at the end....so far i'm thinking a razor i don't use and some other stuff TBD

I already went a bit crazy in December when I purchased 600 Rainbow blades. I got 100 and loved them so much I got 500 more. I found they last 5 shaves for me, most others are 3 tops. I actually laughed out loud when I figured how long that would last. 8.2 years, and that's if I shaved every day without ever missing. I do have a cart of stuff at westcoastshaving but I think I will wait till February, we are trying to not spend money too much money before Christmas.

Last edited:
I already went a bit crazy in December when I purchased 600 Rainbow blades. I got 100 and loved them so much I got 500 more. I found they last 5 shaves for me, most others are 3 tops. I actually laughed out loud when I figured how long that would last. 8.2 years, and that's if I shaved every day without ever missing. I do have a cart of stuff at westcoastshaving but I think I will wait till February, we are trying to not spend money too much money before Christmas.

ohh that sounds interesting do you have a link for the rainbow blades from please

I'm in.

My exception is Lucky Tiger Shave Cream & Aftershave. I've wanted both, but I will buy them local.

I will PIF some blades and a restored brush (provided I finish it).

Smokeydave, I got the original ones I bought on eBay. The second batch of 500 I purchased from Connaught Shaving. They are UK based but shipping was pretty cheap.

I have been thinking. I am not sure what I will PIF but I think it will include a Mamma Bear soap, maybe a small sampling of blades. I have a whole month to think it over thought! :001_smile

EDIT: For some reason I can't edit the list of entrants, so here is the updated list:

Username - exception item

1. boogieman_ - handle for Gillette LC NEW
  2. Toothpick - None
  3. konijntjesbroek - ?
  4. smokeydave - ?
  5. Sir Lurkalot - ?
  6. joshgambit - Lucky Tiger Shave Cream & Aftershave
  7. ...

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
For some reason I can't edit the list of entrants, so here is the updated list:
I remember seeing somewhere that you cant edit a post after 48 hrs. or some amount of time.

As for the PIF goes....would it be counterproductive if a member of this Jan Pare Down was to enter one of the PIFs that resulted from this? I like to enter PIFs that involve things I haven't tried...

I remember seeing somewhere that you cant edit a post after 48 hrs. or some amount of time.

As for the PIF goes....would it be counterproductive if a member of this Jan Pare Down was to enter one of the PIFs that resulted from this? I like to enter PIFs that involve things I haven't tried...

As long as it comes in after Jan.

Top Bottom