What's new

2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity

You don't have to bow out of the thread just because you aren't in the restraint. lol Feel free to pop in and see how us crazy addicted hoaders are doing. lol

I do plan to check in, as well as the whole forum. Just didn't feel I was adding to the thread further...

I see that you've just joined and have less than 25 posts here. I don't know your wetshaving experiences. Maybe you're a Zen master at being a minimalist and have found the sweet spot. If so, you're ahead of 99.5% of us here. But start reading threads on B&B. And to be honest, wait until you get a whiff of an AD. I give you six months before you're bit with an AD, and I'm probably being too lenient there. Only when you experience an AD can you truly understand why we have to enter restraint.

</soapbox>

I think I have maybe two dozen wetshaves to my name. I've been watching videos, researching and learning proper technique, etc. still not quite there as I have to finish it with my Fusion. If AD=Acquisition Disorder, I can't say I've ever had it to the point it sounds like some do. Maybe it is that I haven't reached the level of shaving that so many others are? Or, more realistically, I view things I "need" to do as having only the tools necessary to complete the task. Can't say I haven't acquired various things over the years. But, I do lead a minimalistic lifestyle compared to many others.

Anyway, this isn't meant to argue with anyone. I honestly was just trying to understand some of it is all.

brucered

System Generated
adding Searlands to the list (see below) and so we don't loose track with all the other discussions

2013 Entrants:
1. brucered
2. Alpine Dad
3. gmgaj
4. the_edski
5. Alias
6. MickToley
7. vreddy2000
8. beeranon
9. jdto
10. mol81
11. jeddy61
12. Tim_McD
13. jojoc
14. brianw
15. beginish
16. mikeschu
17. Shave_Rat
18. Dave258
19. CyberJCM
20. edgerunner
21. OldSaw
22. Dirk-Lerxst-Pratt
23. Buster Casey
24. OldGreyGuy
25. andrestole
26. Haggises
27. random-hero
28. Comet
29. TSwebster
30. Searlands

If I have missed anyone, please post here "I'm In" as well as any exceptions and I'll add you to the list (or feel free to copy and paste the list with your name added)

Last edited:
With Santa bringing me shaving supplies, I am willing to commit. I have enough "backup" to most likely last for a year or two afterwards.

IM IN!

Condition:
I will get the next B&B Essential Boar Brush when released. Might collect all the colours.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Many of us went on a first year (or three) spending spree, got addicted to the weekly (or daily) packages in the mail with new and/or different things, even tho we could easily shave daily for a year or more on what we have already. In that position, a little reminder to slow down and break the addiction for a year is mainly what many of us join the Purchase Restraint to try to do.

Plus, the sabbatical allows members to stay connected. One alternative that I have seen is that some members just disappear after going overboard. This way a person can decide not to buy stuff but still be a member of the community. It's kind of like not drinking but still meeting a friend for a burger at the local pub, (I do this once a week and the bartender brings my 7-UP to the table as soon as I walk in).

There're a couple of shaving related items that I want but don't need, and won't buy until New Year. They will be my teasers which I'll try to resist buying in 2013. That's what I did when I quit smoking back in 1996, after I had smoked for over 12 years. At the time, I put one cigarette on my TV to stare at it all the time, and promised myself not to smoke it. And I refrained from smoking it. It wasn't fun. Later on, remembering that cigarette helped me every time when I felt I wanted to smoke again not to do it.

brucered

System Generated
There're a couple of shaving related items that I want but don't need, and won't buy until New Year. They will be my teasers which I'll try to resist buying in 2013. That's what I did when I quit smoking back in 1996, after I had smoked for over 12 years. At the time, I put one cigarette on my TV to stare at it all the time, and promised myself not to smoke it. And I refrained from smoking it. It wasn't fun. Later on, remembering that cigarette helped me every time when I felt I wanted to smoke again not to do it.

Aahhh, strategy. Very smart of you (I think and hope :001_unsur)

If I can do the same, I will. I'll think of something I really, really want, but will try to resist. Then come NYE 2013, I can pull the trigger on it.

That said, I am so happy with my brush collection right now, especially with a Rooney PL1 Old stock and Shavemac D01 in the works, I am removing my Semogue LE brush from my exception list. If I can't resist an LE brush that isn't even out yet, I'm in trouble.

Looking forward to this, just stocking up on the supermarket items such as witch hazel and as I like the brand of AS my supermarket carries, I'll pop in this weekend and get a couple of bottles of each to last through the year. Never went overboard on those as they were all locally available.

brucered

System Generated
I'm in! Somehow I got dropped off the list.

Sorry about that Jay.

2013 Entrants:
1. brucered
2. Alpine Dad
3. gmgaj
4. the_edski
5. Alias
6. MickToley
7. vreddy2000
8. beeranon
9. jdto
10. mol81
11. jeddy61
12. Tim_McD
13. jojoc
14. brianw
15. beginish
16. mikeschu
17. Shave_Rat
18. Dave258
19. CyberJCM
20. edgerunner
21. OldSaw
22. Dirk-Lerxst-Pratt
23. Buster Casey
24. OldGreyGuy
25. andrestole
26. Haggises
27. random-hero
28. Comet
29. TSwebster
30. Searlands
31. DrColossus11

I"m even backing down and rethinking what I need to stock up on. I was going to grab 100 Voskhod blades, but they perform the same as the Personna labs I already have 100 of, and I have probably 25 or so Voskhods left. Guess I don't really need to stock those blades. I have to run some side by side sort of testing between Derbys and Gillette yellows in my 1921 New still, and determine which of the two is the better blade in that guy, and bet 100 of those. It unfortunately doesn't like my usual blade selections, but is like butter with the Derby or yellows. Now to determine if one is butter, and the other is like whipped butter, or such... so to speak.. lol

So how would this work in regards to birthdays? We all have one coming up next year, and our partners and children are always looking for suggestions on items they can buy for their father. If someone else gifts you a new aftershave, soap, or other shaving item, is this OK?

Cheers

So how would this work in regards to birthdays? We all have one coming up next year, and our partners and children are always looking for suggestions on items they can buy for their father. If someone else gifts you a new aftershave, soap, or other shaving item, is this OK?

Cheers

With the other restraint threads I've seen, if you are gifted an item, there's nothing in that which breaks the restraint. Some of the previous threads did state that if you received a gift cert to like WCS or the like, however, you had to wait till the restraint period was over to use it, since then it's still considered a "purchase".

I just ordered an SRD 'Roo strop, which was one thing I'd been meaning to do for a while. Paid in 2012, so it's good. The only exception I'd add to my 2013 sabbatical is a finishing stone, if I can find one that is reasonable and that I like. I've been on the hunt for something to follow my Chinese hone, or my coticule, so that's my only exception for 2013 (along with the official LE/Charity exceptions).

brucered

System Generated

Cheers

THere is no way i'm refusing a Bday or Fathrsday Gift of shave supplies from a family member and/or loved one.

I say if that happens, enjoy it and you are still in the sabbatical.

I've been doing some basic cyferin', and except for AS, I think I can make it through 2013 without any puchases at all. I listed resupplying exceptions, but I'm going to do my best to make no purchases at all. I think I can do it. I really do. I just need to stock up on AS to make it 12 months.

Here's what I'm counting on making a year on:

Soap/cream:
Arko stick - 90%
OBR stick - 70%
GZD stick - 95%
5 OBR 1 oz samples - 100%
VDH puck - 95%
VDH luxury - 100%
prorazo - 70%
KMF small - 50%
tabac cream - 60%
2 tubes arko cream - 60%

blades:
100 gillette blacks
40 Astra SPs
5 lord racers
5 sharks
40 Gem personna SE blades

AS: (probably need more here)
1 bottle of WH
4 oz ogallala bay rum (90%)
8 oz obr (100%)

BTW, will there be a thread for begging for PIFs because you miscalculated and can't make it through 2013 without emerging with a ZZ top beard? :oops: :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I've been doing some basic cyferin', and except for AS, I think I can make it through 2013 without any puchases at all. I listed resupplying exceptions, but I'm going to do my best to make no purchases at all. I think I can do it. I really do. I just need to stock up on AS to make it 12 months.

Here's what I'm counting on making a year on:

Soap/cream:
Arko stick - 90%
OBR stick - 70%
GZD stick - 95%
5 OBR 1 oz samples - 100%
VDH puck - 95%
VDH luxury - 100%
prorazo - 70%
KMF small - 50%
tabac cream - 60%
2 tubes arko cream - 60%

blades:
100 gillette blacks
40 Astra SPs
5 lord racers
5 sharks
40 Gem personna SE blades

1 bottle of WH
8 oz obr (100%)

BTW, will there be a thread for begging for PIFs because you miscalculated and can't make it through 2013 without emerging with a ZZ top beard? :oops: :biggrin1:

The only part you may run low/out on would be the AS stuff. Even if you are like me and toss a blade after 3 uses, 100 gets you through almost a year. 190 gets you easily past a year. Soap/cream wise, providing you aren't using it on your toast as well in the mornings, you can probably get 1.75 years on what you have. lol

lol a new personal record on non-restraint?

I'd been thinking about it and know that I have restraint to keep from buying tons of product that I'll never use ( which is what most people need it for ). I enjoy auction/antique store hunting and looking for those old razors in good condition. I don't think I could give that up and if I have the chance to buy something like that, I will whether I'm "trying" to restrain from purchase or not. If I see that my buying has gone overboard by next December, I'll think about joining this year. I just don't see how joining this year would really benefit me.

I'd been thinking about it and know that I have restraint to keep from buying tons of product that I'll never use ( which is what most people need it for ). I enjoy auction/antique store hunting and looking for those old razors in good condition. I don't think I could give that up and if I have the chance to buy something like that, I will whether I'm "trying" to restrain from purchase or not. If I see that my buying has gone overboard by next December, I'll think about joining this year. I just don't see how joining this year would really benefit me.

I'll still like going to the antique shops around and such, this will just help remind me I have no use to pick up another ball end tech, even if it is only $5, or the like. If I actually encounter some amazing once in a life time score, that's different, and I won't feel bad about breaking restraint for such a thing.

I actually don't have a problem with buying tons of product I won't use. I'm pretty restrained in that department. My weakness is the razor collection... not even brushes really tempt me at all at this point.

I'm going to have to stay off of ebay and the BST for sure tho. lol

1 bottle of WH
8 oz obr (100%)

You're definitely not going to make it the year on that little WH, unless you have an alum block or two. It may not be all that close with AS either, depending on how much you shave and how much AS you apply after each shave.

Adding: I figure 5ml of WH per shave that I use it (just because I'm a klutz). If that's all you use, and you shave 6x/week, that's about 1.5 liters of witch hazel in a year. That's equivalent to using a 12-oz bottle of Thayer's every three months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom