What's new

rockviper's journal of shaving, gardening and chess adventures

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
bluesman 7 , look away and hit your browser's *back* button :lol:
Did you do it?
Okay, now that he's gone I can let you guys know that I just ordered a 10x3 Untra Fine Black Ark from Dan's Whetstones. Only $45 for shipping to Canada :facep: .... but it was on sale by that amount, so I can pretend that it was "free shipping" instead :001_rolle

You forgot to mention that a 3OZ. bottle of honing oil comes with it. FREE!:w00t:

I was actually taking a nap while this happened...... You let them out of your sight for one minute......

Hmmm, I will have to make note that somebody doesn't follow instructions very well. :tongue_sm
I actually went to the previous page of your journal when I read the first line.....then I came back!

And your one for talking about not following instructions. I told you to back away from that Arkansas thread!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Shave #585
Wapienica (Norton-2)
Omega B&B Essential boar, Sue
Blue Willy
alum block
Fa Speedster AS
linen(15), leather(50)

I think I will be going back and forth between my two straights. Yes, I have ONLY two! :lol: This will let me get a good side by side comparison on the edges. Today's 2-pass NS+SN shave was pretty gosh darn good, but the custom's edge is better. As per normal, no alum or AS sting, so I must be doing something right.

Happy Thursday!

That means you'll have to resist trying to hone the edge on the custom for as long as possible, you realize, right? Can you keep a blade off the stones for that long? :lol:

That means you'll have to resist trying to hone the edge on the custom for as long as possible, you realize, right? Can you keep a blade off the stones for that long? :lol:
I think the rotation is a great Idea. That way you are always trying to get the less sharp razor up to, or surpassing, the sharpest one. When your Wapi surpasses the custom, either from natural deterioration of the custom, or due to your awesome honing on the Wapi, then hone the custom till it equals or surpasses the Wapi. This way you are hopefully always raising the bar.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
With some spare time on my hands, a few bucks at Home Depot for a 2-1/2" wide x 1/2" thick piece of oak and some old suede hanging around, look at what you can do....

Stropping surface is approx 9-3/4 x 2-1/2"

There's a spot on the strop that should dry out soon enough. My finger had some Goo-B-Gone on it when I was wiping off any glue residue and I accidentally touched the strop surface. Under a loupe, it just looks wet and I cannot feel any difference with my fingertips if I close my eyes. The blade does not drag over it either, so all is well.
proxy.php

and the other side pasted with TI-white. Wow! The pic shows it like it's caked with paste. It's actually not. I have a small beauty cream container from SWMBO's "used up" stuff that I rescued from going in the trash and mooshed some of the gummy crayonish TI paste into it with some baby oil. It does become very nice and spreadable after this, as opposed to the normal bubble-gum texture of the paste.
proxy.php

This was inspired by syngent as, when he was over on Monday, he mentioned how he lays his strop flat to use.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Shave #586
custom 15/16 (film-2)
Omega 49
Blue Willy
alum block
Fa Speedster AS
leather(60)

Another wonderful shave from this blade. Standard DFS/CCS result from my standard 2-pass NS+SN shave. The edge is better than my Wapi's, as evidenced by the ease fo the ATG sideburn work.

Happy Friday!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Shave #587
Wapienica (Norton-3)
Omega B&B Essential boar, Sue
Blue Willy
alum block
Fa Speedster AS
leather(60)

Not sure why I pasted the black suede on my strop, as I don't use it. Maybe it was simply because I had previously pasted it when it was on a TI handle (it's the suede that comes on it) and I don't need two near-identical paddle strop surfaces. oh well. No harm, no foul. :001_smile

This was a good shave, even the the Blue Willy lather still isn't what I look for. Although I am finding it a better performer in terms of glide that the much more expensive D.R. Harris soap.

NS pass was good, as was the SN. DFS/CCS combo with two tiny blips in the goatee area during the first pass. It's not the chin but right in the "hollow" between the lip and the chin. It cleaned up itself while under lather for pass-2, so it wa just a pinprick.

After stropping on the paddle, a TPT says that the very last 1cm wasn't as sharp as the rest of the blade. I mainly shave with the front-half of the blade and the area does get more use, especially when it comes to the sideburns' areas on both passes, so maybe it is normal wear and tear. Good to know though and I will pay more attention to it next honing session. I will also watch the same are on the chopper to see how it goes.

Happy Saturday!

For what it's worth, DRH never impressed me with their lather either. I always add a pump of KMF into the DRH. Now, that combo is a huge win. DRH by itself? Eh.. I won't ever buy another puck of it.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Shave #588
custom 15/16 (film-3)
Omega 49
Blue Willy
alum block
Fa Speedster AS
leather(60)

Birthday shave today; nothing special in terms of changing my kit. I just went with my normal hardware/software setup.

Nice and simple 2-pass NS+SN shave with the custom. The film edge continues to hold up quite well, which tells me that it really is time for the Wapi tip to be touched up. Heck, I'll probably do the whole blade instead of just the tip. :tongue_sm

Skimmed off the tip of a old biospsy scar tissue on the ATG on the neck. Just a pinprick, but the alum took care of it easily enough post shave.

All in all, a good start to the day. Now I just need the Giants to lay a whooping on the Cowgirls this evening.

Happy Sunday!

Top Bottom