What's new

Winter coat recommendations

This will be for winters here in Toronto, Canada. Keep in mind it doesn't get too cold here as of late however here are my requirements:

- 100% wool
- Grey color that will work with brown shoes as well (probably means no black buttons?)
- length should be that of a peacoat, not looking for those long coat lengths or neither a bomber
- slim fit

I already have a black J Crew peacoat so looking for something else as that doesn't work with brown shoes. Price range is $150-$300.

You may give Schott a shot:

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/men/peacoat/mens-slim-fitting-wool-peacoat.htm

While I haven't ordered from them, I believe the company is highly regarded here on B&B. Hopefully some others with more experience can chime in. I was actually debating ordering a pea coat from them last winter when I found a deal on one at TJ Maxx that was too good to pass up. They are very responsive to email, and seem to be a "mom & pop" type operation. Their website has a forum where you can post questions, and Gail with their customer service team checks the posts frequently.

I found the below information on their forum, but this post was from 2008. I'm not sure if they still use the same distributor, but if you're interested, you may give it a try.

CANADA
Distribitions A&F Inc.
Gary Skolnik
Montreal Canada
Phone # 514-904-6770
E-mail: [email protected]

You may give Schott a shot:

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/men/peacoat/mens-slim-fitting-wool-peacoat.htm

While I haven't ordered from them, I believe the company is highly regarded here on B&B. Hopefully some others with more experience can chime in. I was actually debating ordering a pea coat from them last winter when I found a deal on one at TJ Maxx that was too good to pass up. They are very responsive to email, and seem to be a "mom & pop" type operation. Their website has a forum where you can post questions, and Gail with their customer service team checks the posts frequently.

I found the below information on their forum, but this post was from 2008. I'm not sure if they still use the same distributor, but if you're interested, you may give it a try.

CANADA
Distribitions A&F Inc.
Gary Skolnik
Montreal Canada
Phone # 514-904-6770
E-mail: [email protected]

Interesting you bring that up. I actually had been looking at their car coat in grey:

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-431/'Wool-Double-Zip-Car/Detail

It's definitely in the running...

I have a Spiewak peacoat and a wool jacket and would highly recommend them. Good quality and reasonable price (at least when I bought mine a few years back).

Ben

+1 on the Schott recommendation. I was very close to buying this coat for myself, but then I moved to Southern California, rendering a Peacoat rather ineffective. That's a buy once sort of coat, you won't be sorry.

This will be for winters here in Toronto, Canada. Keep in mind it doesn't get too cold here as of late however here are my requirements:

- 100% wool
- Grey color that will work with brown shoes as well (probably means no black buttons?)
- length should be that of a peacoat, not looking for those long coat lengths or neither a bomber
- slim fit

I already have a black J Crew peacoat so looking for something else as that doesn't work with brown shoes. Price range is $150-$300.

If that isn't the kiss of death (cold winter), I don't know what is.

Duffle Coat gets my nod of approval.

Filson, without any hesitation. I own several filson wool, waxed canvas and non-waxed canvas coats and love them all. Their new peacoat style fits very well and is long enough to cover a suit coat, so works for casual and work wear. Charcoal is very nice. A true "10" and something you will truly wear your entire life - or able to sell later if you want a change.

Yet another recommendation for Filson products. They are top quality and will last a lifetime. Filson offers classic styling, a choice of superb fabrics, and most of their products are made in the United States.

If it's really that cold I'd go Canada Goose. I got one last winter and it's amazing. My heavy wool coat doesn't come close (unfortunately in price, also).

Ben

Fidelity and Sterlingwear are always worth a look, as well. I was eyeballing a Fidelity in dark khaki this afternoon, in fact.

Chiming in on Filson. I have a charcoal double Mackinaw cruiser that goes with just about everything I own. I wear it to church all winter long.

Top Bottom