What's new

First shave with a straight razor

I've been shaving with a DE for about 5-6 months. I've moved up to the Feather blades, and find they give me a very close shave. Although, I do tend to rush, at times, and find myself getting nicks and weepers more often than I should. If I go slowly, it's usually a decent shave. But I don't think I've ever had a shave without at least a couple spots of blood somewhere... Perhaps my lather needs some work. Maybe it's technique. But, I tend to have bumps here and there from some intermittent acne, and that really doesn't help keep the bloodshed down.

Lately, I've been curious about straight razors. I've read a lot about them, the different types/grinds, honing and stropping, shaving technique, and so on. I traded an item for a couple of straights (a 6/8 and a 4/8) and a strop, and picked up some additional "Poor Man's" strops from Whipped Dog. So, I figure I have what I need to get started. The straights were honed before shipment. Until now, I did not feel ready to attempt a shave with them. But last night, I finally worked up to giving it a try.

After taking a shower and wetting down my face with hot water, I built my lather, using the best cream I have. After applying the lather, I gave the 6/8 straight a try going WTG, starting at the sideburns, and keeping the razor fairly clean as I went (wiping on a soft towel after a quick rinse). I found it very difficult to move through the hair. But, I figured it was because I had 2-3 days of stubble to deal with. I kept on trying, but it was just too difficult. So, I did a WTG pass with my DE to get the growth down. Then I tried again, still going WTG. It was definitely easier, especially when I remembered to stretch the skin tightly. But, it still wasn't very easy. I ended up making it through maybe a pass and a half with the straight, and then just finished up with my DE. Of course, I nicked myself up the wazoo, since I was a bit frustrated, and just wanted to wrap things up.

I'm positive that the razor isn't nearly sharp enough. I tried my hand at the hanging-hair test (HHT), and it wouldn't really catch the hair. And even when it did, I had to move the edge laterally to get it to catch. For all intents and purposes, it only bent the hair back. No splitting. No cutting. So, now I need to try my hand at honing. I'm working on getting my hands on some honing film. Once I do, I'll get that puppy sharpened up in no time, and try shaving again. Since I have two razors, I may send one in to WD and trade for another one that's ready to go. Then I can practice shaving with that one and hone the one I already have. Plus, I'd like a larger razor than the 4/8 that I received.

It just goes to show that one man's "shave-ready" razor doesn't always cut it for someone else. On the bright side, I really only cut myself once; a nice slice on the top of my ear, as I was trying to feel out how close I could get without hitting my ear. Got a little careless, and there you have it... a nice 1/2" slice right above the ear. (No Vincent van Gogh jokes, please... :thumbdown It was my right ear, anyway... not my left.) Otherwise, the rest of my face is in good shape, with no real razor burn.

:straight:

Actually it wasn't too bad. It was more like a sharp ***** to the skin. Straights are pretty sharp. So a nice, clean cut like that happens pretty quickly, and really doesn't hurt much. It just wouldn't stop bleeding until I kept it dry. Funny how you know immediately when you've cut yourself, before the blood even begins to flow... As soon as it happened, I just rolled my eyes and knew.

If anything, the actual shaving was worse than the cut.

Top Bottom