What's new

Going sideways across the neck...

Ah i see, so depending on the way their hair grows. Thank you! I feel lucky to have my hair grow up and down, having to go across the grain seems like a very advance technique.

and... as your technique improves... do you have to do a 3 pass shave to achieve ______ desired affect? I can do a WTG then ATG most days. with a Gem SE in a rush I can do a single pass ATG for BBS. or any DE/SE WTG/XTG single stroke for a DFS... I still do a 3 pass shave most days for the pleasure of it.

what do you want and are capable of achieving and at what cost really drives each shave. as you get iterations under your belt, technique should improve and you can find any technique that works for you.

I think I"ve figured out one of the problems I'm having with shaving XTG: after years of using disposables, the SE appears to have a very long blade, and I haven't yet worked out how to hold it so that I can shave in that direction. Also, when I shave the right side of my neck and under my jaw going ATG, I can't, as yet, hold the razor so that the blade isn't almost perpendicular to my skin. I did, however, stumble across something called "bullfrogging," which lets me shave XTG under my jaw. Bit by bit and day by day, I'm getting better.

This is my way, lower your head slightly before shaving.
1.jpg

@TSENG, Are you holding the razor with your left hand to shave the right side of your neck and vice versa?

I ask because this is how I shave across the grain above the chin line. I have never tried this technique below the chin line.

@TSENG, Are you holding the razor with your left hand to shave the right side of your neck and vice versa?

I ask because this is how I shave across the grain above the chin line. I have never tried this technique below the chin line.
I am used to operating the razor with my right hand on both sides, as shown in the picture of how to hold a razor. The photos and videos were taken in selfie mode, so the hands in the images are on different sides. You can also use tape to tape the edges. Practice first to see if you get used to this method.
1.jpg

When working on my neck, I lower my head first and then let the razor shave.
Another piece of this puzzle for us with more angled jaws: stretch the skin up over the jaw line with your off hand. Same approach and angle as @TSENG shows, but by stretching the skin above the jaw lit, you can more easily shave more of it without worrying on the lower neck

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Another piece of this puzzle for us with more angled jaws: stretch the skin up over the jaw line with your off hand. Same approach and angle as @TSENG shows, but by stretching the skin above the jaw lit, you can more easily shave more of it without worrying on the lower neck
Was wondering if you were also on BB! We chatted back/forth on Reddit earlier.

Somewhere on this site, maybe in the Wiki, I came across "bullfrogging." The idea is that you look down instead of up and let your blade stretch the skin under your jaw as it goes across. I find it hard to hold a SR properly for shaving under the jaw, but bullfrogging twice, once in each direction does a good job. Alas, I still can't do the neck XTG and end up doing twice ATB.

Somewhere on this site, maybe in the Wiki, I came across "bullfrogging." The idea is that you look down instead of up and let your blade stretch the skin under your jaw as it goes across. I find it hard to hold a SR properly for shaving under the jaw, but bullfrogging twice, once in each direction does a good job. Alas, I still can't do the neck XTG and end up doing twice ATB.
I imagine having a super keen edge helps with this bullfrogging so it doesn’t skip.

Top Bottom