What's new

Word Of The Day

Increasingly I find myself forgetting the meaning and spelling of words that I used to know. I am sure I am not alone in this. Learning a new word a day should help.

The rules of this thread are simple: one word per day by each participating member and the word must be used in a short sentence. Discussion is encouraged. Here we go!

BLITHE (adjective): Showing a casual and cheerful indifference considered to be callous or improper.
Sentence: A blithe disregard for the rules of the road.

2. Happy or joyous.
Sentence: A blithe seaside comedy.

Last edited:
GALACTOPHAGE (noun): A milk sop, milquetoast.

Now listen, you sniveling galactophage, not only are you a coward but you also appear constipated.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Tenacious-

I wanted to go hiking, but all I had in my closet were my old tenacious.

sesquipedalian

1. n. having many syllables 2. adj. given to or characterized by the use of long words.

The sesquipedalians of this forum are going to fill this thread with sesquipedalians.

pedantic

Definition: from M-W on-line, "narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned"

Use in a sentence:

"'Pedantic' is a great word because to use it is often to illustrate its meaning.

"'Tis well enough for a servant to be bred at an University. But the education is a little too pedantic for a gentleman." William Congreve

The term, then, is obviously a relative one: my pedantry is your scholarship, his reasonable accuracy, her irreducible minimum of education and someone else’s ignorance.
H.W. Fowler

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Mungo

A dumpster diver – one who extracts valuable things from trash

Did you see what that mungo found behind Walmart last night?

Laudable (adjective): deserving praise and commendation (of an action, idea, or goal).

The team's resilience is laudable.

Lethologica (nound): the inability to remember the right word.

Hopefully this thread will not exacerbate my lethologica, I can't afford to forget more words.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Word of the Day for Sunday, August 12, 2012;

Impugn: tr.v

To attack as false or questionable; challenge in argument: “To impugn a political opponent’s record.”

http://www.wordthink.com/

proxy.php
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'! Audrey Hepburn

Last edited:
Progeny (noun): Descendants, children. Offspring of animals or plants. Outcome, product.

Many Americans are the progeny of immigrants.

Thanks to Mad Man’s post in WWI razor thread for the word of the day.

catawampus \kat-uh-WOM-puhs\:
1. Off-center; askew; awry.
2. Positioned diagonally; cater-cornered.

The blade positioning on my Merkur is catawampus, and it slices my face to ribbons.

Pleonasm--Use of redundant words.

"'True fact' is a pleonasm."

"He explained that he was from the Department of Redundancy Department."

Verbose (adjective): containing more words than necessary; wordy. Given to wordiness.

She has a verbose writing style. He is a verbose speaker.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Word of the Day for Tuesday, August 14, 2012;

Eccentric - adj.

1. Departing from a recognized, conventional, or established norm or pattern. 2. n. One that deviates markedly from an established norm, especially a person of odd or unconventional behavior. “His eccentricities now extend to never leaving his home.”

http://www.wordthink.com/

proxy.php
"
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope". Sir Winston Churchill

Top Bottom