What's new

Experimenting with shims

Almost a year since I began and the journey has been (from a razor pov) tech, slim, EJ 89 Barley, back to the slim (but dialed open - usually 7-9). I've found that the slim, now that my technique is a little more advanced, has been giving me great shaves in fewer passes than the EJ. However, I just love the feel and look of the Barley so having read up on "shims" I've cut 2 feather blades (just a couple mm of each "sharp" side) and shimmed the 89 to open the gap.

First shave today, lathered with Cella (I'm doing a month of Cella, and face lathering too!), and I'm happy with the results. 3 passes gave me a DFS and quite comfortably too. Still had a little touch up in places that the slim usually cleans up set on 7 but overall it's worth trying again for a few more days to get the angle right.

Is it going to be a RAD killer? Not sure, but the increased gap did slow me down and really concentrate on grip, angle etc and the alum pass was noticeably easier on the sting: even in my usually tough spots.

Anyone else experimented with shims!?

I sometimes like to use a single shim in my Old Type, particularly if the blade is a mild one. The Old Type doesn't provide any significant blade gap, and a little goes a long way.
When I feel like shaving with a Tech, I'll typically add 2-3 shims to juice it up.

A big +1 on shims. I use 4 of them with my Weber ARC or EJ Lined Chatsworth and 3 with my Tradere. Always fantastic shaves with those set ups.

I was thinking of doing the very same idea today (go figure!),
how did you cut the blades?

yep, triad said it. a good sharp pair of household scissors snipped 'em cleanly. i held the blade in a stout pair of leather work gloves for protection and then gently ran a fine emery board over the cut edge to remove any burrs or roughness. i only took a mm or two off though, just the cutting edge of the blade.

2 shims gave me a visually similar blade gap to the slim on about a 6 or 7; i didn't get a gauge to confirm.

Very interesting.... this is something I will definitely try out.
I am really enjoying my Lord L6 razor but on a two-day stubble I could stand it to have a slightly bigger gap.
Thank you for an excellent tip. Once I get it done I will come back to report on the results.

I tried it today: I cut 2 donor blades (dorco, best use for them so far) so it about the same width as the plate part that presses against the blade. I didn't use emery board as I figured it I can handle a new sharp blade I should be able to handle this shim as well.

I used it with my Lord L6 and I liked the result a lot. For me the shave is more efficient than before. Excellent mod for those who think they could use a slightly more aggressive razor.

I am mechanically challenged and don't really understand how this works and what it looks like
can anyone post a few pics?

I am mechanically challenged and don't really understand how this works and what it looks like
can anyone post a few pics?
Not a pic, but I'll try to explain it.

Essentially all they are doing is trying to make the blade edge farther away from the safety bar. To do this, they put a blade (or blades) underneath the blade they are using to shave with. In order to avoid being cut by the blades whose only purpose is to prop up the actual blade, they remove the cutting edges of the blades that are just being used as shims. This is being done with three-piece razors.

So, take the razor apart. Put the top plate upside down on the countertop. Load the blade you want to shave with onto the top plate. Then add the blade or blades that have had their cutting edges removed. Then add the baseplate (upside down, of course). Then screw the handle on. Voila! You're done.

Here you go:
$2012-08-03 15.24.43.jpg$2012-08-03 15.25.29.jpg

Not a pic, but I'll try to explain it.

Essentially all they are doing is trying to make the blade edge farther away from the safety bar. To do this, they put a blade (or blades) underneath the blade they are using to shave with. In order to avoid being cut by the blades whose only purpose is to prop up the actual blade, they remove the cutting edges of the blades that are just being used as shims. This is being done with three-piece razors.

So, take the razor apart. Put the top plate upside down on the countertop. Load the blade you want to shave with onto the top plate. Then add the blade or blades that have had their cutting edges removed. Then add the baseplate (upside down, of course). Then screw the handle on. Voila! You're done.

Thanks for taking the time to explain - I appreciate it!

Never even crossed my mind. What a great idea to increase the aggressiveness of a milder razor. I'm definitely giving it a shot next shave. Thanks for the pics and info!

I've been doing this to my Feather AS-D1 lately. It is a great razor, but it is very mild. A shim adds a bit more bite to it. I may try it this morning with my Gillette Tech.

I think anyone who wants to experiment with a more aggressive razor should try this first before shelling out money on a new razor. I am actually considering selling the Progress (blasphemy, I know) becaue the sharper safety bar of the L6 makes it easier for me to track the razor head and the pressure. I am still working on my technique so as it gets better I'd probably be able to appreciate the Progress better.

Last edited:
Here you go:

So, I finally got around to doing this trick in my (cheap but effective) Silvertone (basically a Tech knock off with a longer handle)
I decided to put in just ONE shim for starters this morning, plus I used a really great vintage Gillette blade.
Wow - what a difference!
This little razor was transformed! It went from leaving shaving cream on my face yesterday to cutting a nice clean path today...
WTG, XTG, ATG, all very smooth! not too aggressive, right on the money
Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom