What's new

What makes the Lord L6 the perfect beginner razor

Coming from Mach/Fusion cartridges, the worst habit and hardest to kick is applying too much pressure. I started with Merkur 180/23c and Progress which are great. I gave the 180 to my brother but I realized that I was still working on my technique and having an adjustable added another variable that confused me. I decided to give the L6 a chance.

The first shave with the L6 was really good and I didn't understand why I was able to keep the pressure low. Today I took a closer look and found the reason. Funny enough I think it is due to the 'cheaper' manufacturing process of the L6. The safety-bar edge is much sharper compared to the rounder Merkur's. What it means is that I feel the safety-bar against my skin better and it gives me better feedback of the pressure I applying.

The longer handle (4.1") also helps because holding it by the tip means that I need to apply more torque to generate excess pressure. The later fact made me feel brave enough to go against the grain for the first time in years. The heavier weight of the Progress made it difficult for me to judge the amount of pressure I was applying especially going upside down for an ATG pass.

If I had to do it all again, I would have started with this razor instead of the Merkur.

Yea, I wish I had kept mine. I'm torn between the L6 and the Yuma as the razor to give away to friends with starter sets.

Yuma is dirt cheap but looks like it. Not that the L6 is a Caddilac either... but at least it is nice and shiny.
Never tried the Yuma, looks awful like the Merkur 1904.
As far as recommending it, people today are impatient and many have Amazon prime. Being able to set up the whole kit in one store makes the transition to DE easier IMO.

Too bad the L6 did`nt work for me, the blade exposure is too small, also got the threading problem and had to grind off 3mm from the handle.

Lord l6 is a great razor for a newbie and a even greater razor if you have some experience. Its one of those razors i keep in rotation and one of the most funny to use. Balance, weight, the audible feedback and feeling is close to perfect. Its a mild razor but still very effective.

Last edited:
Too bad the L6 did`nt work for me, the blade exposure is too small, also got the threading problem and had to grind off 3mm from the handle.
I agree it is a mild shaver, maybe a bit too mild for my liking. I just made a shim from two blades (I cut ~3mm of each side with scissors) and it made the shave more efficient for me.
full thread on that here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/303971-Experimenting-with-shims

About the handle... yeah... I like its weight and length so I hope it holds.

I take the head off the L6 and put it on my super cheap, short handled Silver Tone
the heavier head makes it a much better razor
Silver Tone and L6 = 2 great cheapo razors in ONE:biggrin1:

I am a beginner (2 months into DE), and the L6 is my only razor. I picked the L6 for the low cost and decent reviews, in the event I didn't like shaving with a DE. I like the long handle. With the long handle, the transition from carts is easier.

Now that I'm "all in" with DE, the next razor adventure will be a Mekur Progress long handle.

So does the shim go between the top of the head of the razor and the blade? Or between the base of the head and the blade? I'm assuming, holding the razor vertically with the head pointed to the sky, the part go: head, blade, shim, base, handle. Correct?

I'm assuming, holding the razor vertically with the head pointed to the sky, the part go: head, blade, shim, base, handle. Correct?

Correct, the purpose is to create a larger blade gap (distance between the blade, and safety bar/ base plate). Putting the shim anywhere except underneath the blade would accomplish nothing.

I just got my hands on a spanking new Yuma razor (from shaveabuck) and I am shocked. I haven't shaved with it yet and it might deliver the best shave in the world buy boy the finish of this thing is a disgrace. First time I see something new that looks used. As for giving it as a gift to a newbie or even recommending it... I wouldn't do it. When you give a gift to a person, it reflects on you. I good looking gift makes you look good. This one is not good looking and it is not going to make you look good either. As for recommending it...it would take way too much convincing and good faith to convince any of my friends that their daily shaving experience would improve with it.
When you introduce a new concept to a person, a certain (minimal) degree of elegance or sophistication should be part of the deal. At least in my opinion.

Top Bottom