What's new

Mem Shaving Cream - Israel's finest?

After a year in Israel, I've decided to try out the only Israeli brand of shaving cream I've seen - Mem (ממ). There are two kinds - one in a green box, and another in a black and white box. While I was out this morning I bought a tube of the black and white box. The damage was 8 Israeli Shekels, which at today's exchange rate works out to a little less than $2. Nice.

$Mem Shaving 001.jpg

The ingredients are listed as: Stearic Acid, Purified Water, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance [?], Allantoin, Sodium Borate, Mineral Oil, Propylparaben, and Methylparaben. Doesn't look like we're dealing with an all-natural ingredient here, but that doesn't particularly bother me.

$Mem Shaving 005.jpg

I started as usual with a small almond-sized dab of cream, using my cheap Tweezerman badger brush and bowl lathering.
$Mem Shaving 002.jpg$Mem Shaving 003.jpg

It lathered up really well, and I smelled a mix of menthol and fruit, maybe coconut. The scent certainly wasn't unappealing, but it didn't smell as good to me as Cella or Proraso Green, my go-to soap and cream, respectively.

$Mem Shaving 004.jpg

Ease of lathering: 8/10. Lots of foam quickly, but it took a while longer than Proraso to thicken up.
Longevity of the Lather: 9/10. Nice and thick, and didn't dry out during a (slow) 3-pass shave.
General skincare: 9/10. I was actually surprised at how my skin felt afterwards. Nice and smooth shave.
Scent: 6/10. I personally didn't care for the scent all that much, but scent is very subjective. YMMV.
Price: 10/10. Less than $2? Sold. $10 a tube in the US? I'd pass.
Would I buy again: 7/10. I'd consider having a tube on-hand for travelling, but I don't think it'll ever be my daily driver. I may work it in to the rotation.

I guess that is the non olive oil variant. It takes a bit of travel to get these creams to us which by that I mean shipping from Israel which raises the price here a bit.

Next time I'm at the store I'll pick up a tube of the 'green' Mem (olive oil variant) and do the same thing. Afterwards, I'll see if there's interest in a PIF of these products!

Ken, if you don't mind, I am going to piggyback my review with yours instead of starting another thread.

"My" MEM Shaving Cream Review

Here's a fantastic shaving cream that is made by Pharmagis Ltd in Yeruham, Israel. MEM Shaving Cream. I used it for the first time today and this will not be the last time I use this product. I had a great shave and my skin felt great afterwards.

Here's the ingredients:

Stearic Acid, Water, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Mineral Oil, Sodium Borate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Gragrance, FD & C Yellow #6, FD & C Blue #1.

Ease of lathering: 10/10 - Wow, an explosion of rich lather so fast!

Longevity of lather: 10/10 - Perfect stability for multi-passes.

General skincare: 10/10 - Quite protective and comfortable. Has Olive Oil.

Scent: 10/10 - Brilliant - can't describe it, but I LOVE!

Price: $11.99 – From Joe at Shave A Buck. I bought Joe's last tube.

Would I buy again: 10/10 - You bet!

$Photo2993.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! If I'm near the market today I'll pick up a tube of the 'olive' and see how it compares. Sounds like it's superior to the 'regular' Mem I bought earlier this week. I wonder what it will cost here in Israel?

Any further updates from you guys? I have a friend coming here from Israel in a week or so and she's gonna try to pick me up some Mem olive :D

I think that if you can get it directly from Israel cheaply it worths a try.

It is a cream easy to lather, as most of others, nothing else in my opinion.

It is a cheap cream and behaves as a cheap cream. You can use it without big issues.

Only real negative issue is that it dries my skin a bit aftershave; skin care is a weak point in my opinion.

I have a big tube that will last me a few years using once or twice a month; would not buy again.

Got my tubes of Mem Olive last night, shaved with it this morning with Semogue Owner's Club Boar brush and a Clog-Pruf Gem SE razor. Got a nice shave, though I'm out of practice with the GEM so I just had the slightest rumor of irritation around my jawbone. Went pretty nice. First time I lathered it I used *way* too much water and it turned into a foam of big bubbles, not so good for shaving. Tried again with less water, adding by the drop until I got a good lather. Aroma is nothing special, but certainly not bad. I look forward to using it again, and if I had a convenient supply of it I'd get more. Might see if there's a Jewish/Kosher grocery around here that stocks it

It just keeps getting better. I had a good shave yesterday and I'm looking forward to unwinding after work today with a nice Mem-based shave

My tube of Olive Mem arrived today. Tried it out tonight. I have to give this cream top marks. It performed amazingly well and had an incredible scent. Extremely manly smelling! I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a top notch inexpensive cream for sensitive skin.

I am wavering on whether or not to buy the non-Olive Mem shave cream. I am a sucker for exotic shave creams and this one performed so well. (I really love that one side is entirely in Hebrew.)

1+ on the Green Mem!!!

I purchased a big tube (140ml) on feebay at $7.49 with free shipping to boot!!! I just had a fantastic shave with the Green Mem and a Red Personna thrown into the mix!!! It's a real BBS with NO shaving issues! I was able to to get a rich n thick lather like my Proraso but only needed a smaller amount of product. This blade and cream combo allowed my DE89BL to just glide over my face...What a great shave (however YMMV:):wink2:

1+ on the Green Mem!!!

I purchased a big tube (140ml) on feebay at $7.49 with free shipping to boot!!! I just had a fantastic shave with the Green Mem and a Red Personna thrown into the mix!!! It's a real BBS with NO shaving issues! I was able to to get a rich n thick lather like my Proraso but only needed a smaller amount of product. This blade and cream combo allowed my DE89BL to just glide over my face...What a great shave (however YMMV:):wink2:

Do you have a link ?

Great idea...trying to convert the masses are we?

I'm looking forward to getting mine...and nice to see the positive reviews. I can see me doing a bulk buy if it works well.

I picked up three, I always have someone at work asking about Creams or Soaps so I usually give out samples.

Top Bottom