What's new

Gillette New Improved De Luxe

Carrying over from this thread, the De Luxe set has arrived and as promised I snapped a few quick shots this morning before I left for work this morning:

proxy.php

I really have no words...

One very cool little touch that I hadn't noticed originally is that even the razor's handle is monogrammed -- you can see it there in that shot in the smooth band just under the neck.

A somewhat puzzling thing is its serial number, 794S. I've only ever seen the "S" suffix used on sterling silver razors like this one, and yet here this is plain as day:

proxy.php

Even the brush in the set is a higher quality than you'd see in other sets, though when you consider that the $75 that this set cost originally would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 today, I suppose that it darn well ought to be:

proxy.php

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Porter, that is without question the most beautiful razor set I have ever seen. Congratulations!

That is beautiful. With the monograph perhaps it would be possible to research (at some point) the provenance. It would be neat to figure out who owned the razor.

A work of art in a shaving implement. I wonder how many they made -- and what sort of folks purchased them back then. That kind of money for a simple shaver -- wow! And now -- you've got yourself an almost one-of-a-kind set that you can cherish for a long time. Unless the urge to sell overwhelms. Congratulations!

I would wonder if that is gold plate over sterling silver rather than brass . . .

Sure is pretty!! Congrats, Porter . . . or should we call you "JR" now?

Thanks very much, everyone. I'm heading home now to play with it some more. :a14:

That is artwork that shaves...nice pick up Porter, are you going to use it?

That's a tough one. Normally I'd say, sure, since it's not like it's completely unused -- although it really doesn't look like it's seen much more than the one open blade that came with it -- but I may need to live with it a while longer first.

That is beautiful. With the monograph perhaps it would be possible to research (at some point) the provenance. It would be neat to figure out who owned the razor.

Unless I can get a better lead, I'm going to go with one of the Rockefellers, even though they would probably have monogrammed it "JDR." :tongue_sm

I would wonder if that is gold plate over sterling silver rather than brass . . .

I'd thought about that too since it actually is a thing -- it's called vermeil -- but I would think they'd have advertised the heck out of that if that were the case, and all the descriptions of the De Luxe set that I can find from the period just say it's "plated with 22 karat gold."

Sure is pretty!! Congrats, Porter . . . or should we call you "JR" now?

As long as nobody shoots me. :wink2:

Top Bottom