Thread: How to Start Going Against the Grain?

Images

Default How to Start Going Against the Grain?

What are some good ways for a relatively new DE shaver like me to begin to successfully shave ATG for closer passes? I have been warned about attempting ATG shaves too early in my shaving career, and of course I must admit I have tried it (resulting in irritation).

How should I start to to ATG passes with proper technique? What kind of pressure and angles are proper? What won't take the skin off my face? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Very gently with as little pressure on the razor as possible, make sure you have lots of nice protective lather on your face and start on the easy part of your face like the cheeks not the neck. Don't do too many passes, one should be enough for the first time and don't expect BBS that takes time and practise.
    “Because a real Gentleman shaves, every morning” - Marco's Grandfather.

The correct face celaning process is vital. Wash the face with warm water and a ph balanced soap. Apply a good shaving oil. Then whip the badger brush in your quality shaving soap creating a rich lather. Save the remaining soap on the brush for your second pass. Then shave downwards, with the grain. Do not use any pressure, allow only the weight of the razor to glide downwards. Re apply more shaving soap. Then shave upwards, against the grain, again, gently, no pressure. Rinse with cold tap water and there you have the perfect against the grain shave.
    Three things you cannot avoid; Tax, death and dirt...

Much less pressure is key. I can actually use a fair amount of pressure on the N-S strokes. I use a little less on the E-W pass and then as little as possible on the true ATG pass where I'm really going with my face map. For instance, those little swirly places most folks on the sides of their neck, I am going sideways with them, but with no pressure it never gives me irritation.

Don't be in too much of a hurry, impatience is one of the biggest problems around here. As is razor rotation. I suggest you have one razor only and shave with it daily for at least 6-8 weeks before trying to flit from razor to razor. And stick with a couple of known good lather products like a TOBS cream, Tabac or a RazoRock soap for a while. Great lather helps in the ATG pass. I was getting decent results right out of the gate, but I think it took me about 3 months before I was REALLY expertly comfortable and getting a daily DFS/BBS shave without any irritation at all. Ever. Take your time. It will come.
    -- John Noble Knight of The Veg Table, Proud member of BOTOC

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    Much less pressure is key. I can actually use a fair amount of pressure on the N-S strokes. I use a little less on the E-W pass and then as little as possible on the true ATG pass where I'm really going with my face map. For instance, those little swirly places most folks on the sides of their neck, I am going sideways with them, but with no pressure it never gives me irritation.

Don't be in too much of a hurry, impatience is one of the biggest problems around here. As is razor rotation. I suggest you have one razor only and shave with it daily for at least 6-8 weeks before trying to flit from razor to razor. And stick with a couple of known good lather products like a TOBS cream, Tabac or a RazoRock soap for a while. Great lather helps in the ATG pass. I was getting decent results right out of the gate, but I think it took me about 3 months before I was REALLY expertly comfortable and getting a daily DFS/BBS shave without any irritation at all. Ever. Take your time. It will come.
    +1. To help you with the pressure I recommend you review this postand this wiki.
    Jim P. - Chandler, Arizona

ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

“Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

Images

Don't.
    Just call me Chris.